“Great service and wondeful food”

Hacienda Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 99 Restaurants in Puno
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We went with another couple from our tour to this restaurant. Everything was wonderful, chicken was grilled just right and the spagetti was tasty. Our waiter was attentive and we just had a great experience! A great little restaurant on a no traffic street with lots of shops/

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were seated next to the front door that didn't swing shut automatically and so was left open letting the cold draft in.

A small group of Americans came in after we placed our order and we were instantly forgotten about. Our drinks took ages to arrive and I noticed the pizza I had ordered was taken out of the oven and left for 5+ minutes before they decided to bring it to me.

We were not impressed.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

As a previous poster mentioned, I also had concerns with the staff's hygiene. First I noticed that our table had big spots of food stains, but let it go. We ordered two starters and a small pizza to share. Both starters came out missing parts of the dishes. I didn't want to complain because it was late and I hadn't brought my spanish dictionary. What had me the most concerned was the pizza cook. They cook the pizza in wood oven up at the front...he was sitting also in the front with his cell phone texting when he wasn't putting another log on the fire. I also saw him walk around, out the front door, etc...then back to his spot texting. I wondered if he was going to make our pizza and had concerns about his cleanliness. Just as we saw him start to make it I stopped him and said we were too full. Yikes! Can't imagine how dirty his hands were...

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We discovered Hacienda Restaurant (and its twin, Pizzeria Andino) while strolling around centro Puno on our first night in the city. We peaked in, and saw the place was full. I mentioned to my wife, "That means the food must be good."

The bill of fare includes a number of local dishes (including alpaca), pizza, pasta and lasagna, and a host of "generic international" dishes. A handful of chicken and fish items round out the menu. The atmosphere in the restaurant is romantic. Linen tableclothes, long stem wine glasses and candles add to the cozy, romantic atmosphere of Hacienda Restaurant. Near the front entrance is a wood-fired brick oven that cranks out pizzas in double time. A generous "tourist meal" is offered for a mere 18 soles ($7.25) and includes a choice of appetizers, entrees and side dishes. Neither my wife or I tried this option, and we selected a lively-seasoned alpaca dish and "chicharron" of what we thought was lake bass. We were both very happy with our selections. The meat and fish were tender and very flavorful. On disappointment, though... the boiled potato and cheese appetizer was cold and lifeless. We had to ask our waiter twice, to get the order correct. He ended up bringing us boiled potatoes, and a hunk of white cheese. The potatos were cooked, but cold. On the other hand, the puree potatoes that came with the fish was actually quite good. A lesson for the wise, stay away from boiled potatoes at this restaurant. After all was said and done, the two meals, appetizer, a glass of wine, a 620 ml of Cusquena dark beer and a bottle of water came to 86 soles (or $34 US). Not a bad deal.

Another item that caught our eye, but we did not try, was the pizza. We sat near the brick-oven, and watched the owner whip together gourmet pizzas six at a time. The pizza at Hacienda seems to be the most popular item on the menu (the pizza menu took up an entire page.) If I ever make it back to Puno, Hacienda's pizzas will be on my bucket list.

Next door to Hacienda is another restaurant called Pizzeria Andino which shares the same owner with Hacienda. There is an open archway between the two restaurants that enables shared usage of the two restaurants' common resources. The pizzeria has a wood-fired oven that is identical to the one in Hacienda. About 80% of the menu items offered in Hacienda are also available in Pizzeria Andino. The only difference is that Andino is about 4 soles cheaper per item. Go figure. LOL.

The clientele at Hacienda Restaurante is mostly tourists from around the world. It seems to be a popular destination with an eclectic crowd that loves to eat.

We recommend Hacienda Restaurant to our fellow world travelers. Delicious, filling meals are available here at very reasonable prices. Just stay away from the boiled potatoes.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a tourist menu and a "personal" pizza along with a couple of piscos.

The pizza had a healthy portion of topping and the tourist menu was decent. The usual options are available - soups, avocado salad,

Our only negative was a band that came in and stood very close to us and made our conversation very difficult. They then came round wanting money or us to buy their cd and were a bit miffed when we didn't.