“Great place that goes out of their way - literally - to resolve problems.”
Review of Lucky Your House

Lucky Your House
Ranked #7 of 71 Puno B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great place that goes out of their way - literally - to resolve problems.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Lots of good reasons why this deserves a 5: Good clean rooms. Bathroom was spacious enough. It's quite cold in Puno so the free heater in our room was a nice touch. It's location is good - close to the very centre.

But the difference between giving this a four and a five star comes from three key points:

First, the value. For the price, considering the competitors, it's excellent.

Second, the service: Attentive, prompt and very helpful (including pickup from bus station)

But the third was the real surprise: Due to a bit of a problem upon check-out they were unable to provide change for our big bills. We had to get a bus to Cusco asap so there was no time to sort it. But - in what can only be described as a monumental effort to resolve it - they contacted someone in Cusco and got them to deliver the change to us in person there. No excuses, no need for bank transfer, post, etc. They just came round and dropped it off in our hostel.

Few hostels would do that.

For that reason, the four becomes a five.

I recommend.

k

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kieran H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked one night at this hostel on our way from La Paz to Cusco. When we arrived at the bus station, the woman waiting to pick us up told us that the people who were supposed to leave that day to make room for us had gotten seriously ill and weren't able to leave. This meant there was no room for us. The staff handled this situation absolutely perfectly. They arranged a room for us in a hotel that was extremely nice for the price we booked, even though that hotel was more expensive. They took us by cab to the hotel for free. And to top it off, they arranged for us to get a free pizza at a local restaurant. I can't attest to the quality of the hostel itself, but the service is utterly amazing.

Stayed June 2013
2 Thank UUUberMan
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Was totally stoned by the altitude sickness. Reception staff firstly advised me to drink the coco tea (free on the house) and then wrote the migraine pill name for me to buy at the pharmacy. Saved my night.

The room was spacious and clean, bed was just right but pillow was slightly too soft. Shower water pressure could be better but this is Latam we are talking about.

Anyway when I checked out the staff offered me some small discount cos I ran out of soles... They also sent me to the door when I left hotel.

The service is perfect even though there are some things for further improvement. But at this price ... Sub used 30, it's value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Joe C
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I really liked this guest house. Thanks to all the previous reviewers, I had great luck with all the places we stayed, all due to you reviewers! A word of warning about getting a taxi to this place, tho. Do not call it "Lucky Your House", you'll be taken to "Lake House". Instead, you must pronounce it with the long "U" as in Spanish, Luuuuuky Your House!!!! Room was good, breakfast was good, and Valentino helped us out with everything we wanted to do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa O
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Very well located - 3 blocks from the main pedestrian street. Rooms are big, comfy beds, with free wifi and the possibility to ask for a radiator when it gets cold (which is the case during the rainy season). Breakfast is really good, water is really hot and above all, the staff so nice! We paid 30 usd for a double room, breakfast included. We really appreciated our stay and recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank anneburgues
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 7, 2013

For all the good reviews I was a little dissapointed with this hostel, but I´m still giving it 4 of 5 stars because in Puno it isn´t always easy to find affordable hostels with hot water and good heat at night, and this place had both. My room was very loud - the TV downstairs played late at night and the walls were very thin so I could hear all kinds of noises from the other rooms (read: don´t forget earplugs!!). Also, no windows in my room. The breakfast was good, but we were only offered eggs for one of the four mornings we were there. The staff was VERY nice and helpful, they definetly made the stay more enjoyable. The location is about 3 blocks from the Plaza de Armas and it´s not far at all to the pier.

It´s a relatively more expensive hostal by Puno standards and so I expected a little bit more than I got.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We booked this hotel very last minute just before we left for Puno. It was highly recommended in Trip Advisor and we didn't have enough time to do a big research. We couldn't have done a better decision.

The room was comfortable, inviting and clean. The bathroom had plenty of hot water and pressure. Specially pressure! If you don't control it you will end up with water even in the hand washer. On the other hand, it was the only hostel in Peru that offered me cereal in the morning beside bread and tea. It is also well located near Puno's central plaza.

But, most important of all, the family that owned the hotel went way beyond. They couldn't be more friendly and welcoming. Plus, they had a beautiful baby girl that could have not been more cute! We were a group of four and they even offered to save our belongings for 2 days and a night while we did an overnight tour in Lake Titicaca (By the way, don't ever skip that tour; it will probably be the best cultural experience you'll have in Peru).

Definitely one of the most welcoming and outstanding service I received during my 13 days in Peru!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends