“Lovely experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puno
Yavari Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #59 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Puno
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed on the Yavari for one night in September and it was lovely. Giselle and the crew were very nice and friendly and gave a wonderful tour of the ship. Giselle also organised my visit to the floating islands and went out and bought my bus ticket to Copacabana while I was away so I wouldn't miss it. The beds were very comfy and warm, I didn't even need to turn on the heater in room. Breakfast was also very good; fresh bread, real juice, eggs, coffee, tea, jam...
The shower though wasn't hot- just lukewarm, but it's a ship and if I head back down to Puno I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Yavari was an incredible place to stay. When we were there, it was just us and our fabulous host on the boat. She gave us both guest rooms to spread out in. There are tiny, so it was nice to have a separate place to stow our luggage. During the day, the ship is open to the public as a museum, but the rooms are behind a chain that says "private" and we were given a pad lock to lock the rooms. I had no issues leaving stuff there, it felt perfectly safe. At night our host gave us hot water hotels, which kept us nice and toasty. The morning breakfast was great, eggs, toasts, fresh juice, coffee, etc. Everything we needed. Our last night we chose to have dinner on board, which was prepared by the restaurant in the Sonesta Hotel, which the boat is docked in front of. It was incredibly special. After Machu Picchu, the highlight of our Peru trip.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I read about the 'good ship' Yavari in a naval history magazine i picked up in my doctor's surgery waiting room - the story fascinated me and after i worked my way through the Yavari website [run by volunteers] i booked a night 'on board' - finally arrived in Puno 6 months later i was disappointed in myself for not having reserved my cabin for at least one more night - it needs at least a day to explore/enjoy this beautifully restored steamship from an 'age long gone' - [i defy anyone to find a ship with more polished brass - and the capstan still moves] - the cabins are compact [as you would expect on a 19th century naval vessel] and the bunks are just the same - BUT oh so comfortable/cosy doonas/quilts that are just 'wrap around joy' - the rickety jetty/'gangplank' leading to the boarding steps is a little tricky - but once you get your 'sea legs' going it is a fun experience [stop occasionally and check out the water fowl] - Puno is for most travelers simply a place to kip on their way to/from Cusco/La Paz - but do yourself a favour and spend a night or three on board the Yavari - a place to get some totally cool photos from that list of places you will never forget that you went to.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2012

A night on the Yavari is absolutely outstanding in every respect. The crew were friendly and welcoming (thanks to Basilio for an excellent impromptu tour of the ship when we got on board), the accommodation comfortable and charming (beds are definitely the most comfortable we had in South America). They really look after you here - I brought a patch to sow onto one of my jumpers from the shop on board that unfortunately disappeared during further travels in Bolivia - but Giselle the captain is very kindly sending me another one. The breakfast is fantastic, and the whole experience was in every way brilliant. It is the most comfortable ship I have ever stayed on (and as a keen sailor I've stayed on many), despite the obvious limitations of life afloat. I hope to return one day to see it sailing into Puno harbour, its the least that this fantastic little ship and her crew deserve. In the meantime, a stay onboard is a must, and is a definite highlight of any trip to South America!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We spent a night on this charming ship earlier this month. It was wonderful to experience how people travel in the old days, back to ~ 150 years ago.

The cabin is small, but very cozy and comfortable. The view of the city and stars at night from the deck was so beautiful! So was the scene in the morning, from the windows of the cabin.

The breakfast was very good. Captain Gisele is very knowledgeable and passionate to this boat. We enjoyed the complete tour of the ship offered by her, and learnt the interesting history about it. Hope the restoration work will be complete soon, and Yavari could sail on the lake again!

Definitely worth to experience!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Yavari - the only place to spend the night afloat on Lake T! On our recent trip to Peru, we were lucky enough to spend a couple of nights aboard this 150-year-old British gunboat, now a B&B - why the charm and history alone makes it the place to be! The YAVARI was delivered in pieces by mules to the Lake over two miles above sea level. After nearly 100 years of faithful service, she was slipping into decay, but today, happily, she has been restored, the engine repaired, and she's close to being ready to sail again. The captain was no on board druing our visit but the lovely Marlu was and she was wonderful. Unfortunately, I developed a problem with the altitude or maybe it was something I ate, but Marlu took very good care of me. I drank her coca tea and other teas offered to help – fortunately all signs of sickness were gone the following afternoon. Marlu also gave us hot water bottles to put in our bunks and they were just the right touch. The first night we were the only ones on board and it was great! The following night a nice young Canadian couple joined us. Breakfast was yummy and Marlu couldn’t do enough to make sure we enjoyed our stay with her on the Yavari. She even called her brother, Manuel, to take us on a tour of the Euros Islands – a highlight on our travel to Peru. Please do stay on the Yavari, but if you don't place take a tour as she is quite the vessel.

Room Tip: Perhaps one of the rooms away from the watercloset will be best. Also, remember it's an old shi...