“Interesting & different...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puno
Yavari Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #59 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Puno
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I booked a night at this b&b based on reviews I read on Tripadvisor. My friend and I came to Puno at the end of our Peru trip. I wanted to try something different for the experience. We took the day long tour bus from Cusco to Puno and arrive around 6pm. From what we could tell, Puno itself was a bit messy and noisy. Since we had a full day of Lake Titicaca tour the next morning, we decided to skip exploring the town at night and stay at the ship.

When we arrived, we were greeted by an employee on the ship, whom did not speak any English. Trust me, I'm not one of those "everyone has to speak english" type of traveler. I guess we were accustomed to communicating in English our entire trip, we were not prepared. The only thing we could understand was that the owner/manager of the ship was away in Lima. The entire situation was very laid back, and we got to explore the ship on our own.

When it came to dinner time, it was clear that the boy would be no help. So we decided to do the easiest...which was to eat at the upscale tourist hotel right by the boat. We ended up hanging out in their bar for several hours. After we returned to the boat, we were fast alseep in no time. It was very cool to sleep looking out the ship window at Lake Titicaca, and the bed was probably the warmest and most comfortable of the entire trip.

Now, here is my biggest problem of my stay. I was very looking forward to a nice shower in the morning before my day long tour and all night bus back to Cusco. When I woke up in the morning, the boy employee was still asleep in his cabin. I for the life of me, could not figure out how to get the shower to work. There was a water heater but no hot water came of it. I got so frustrated from standing naked in the cold bathroom, I eventually gave up. Now, I realize I am on a boat, and the amenities can not be the same as a hotel on land. I just wish there was a little more help from the "staff" than what was available. This was the most expensive place we stayed during the entire trip, yet I couldn't take a shower at all.

After we were ready to leave, a nice Peruvian lady showed up and made us breakfast. She was very sweet and spoke very nice english. She ended up showing us around the boat in daylight, which we enjoyed.

Overall it was a nice and pleasant experience. I don't have a problem roughing it, but I guess I expected to have more of a staff support than what we received.

If you just want to stay somewhere interesting and not care about the extra little things, then this will be great for you. If not, just take a tour of the boat and stay at the hotel next to the boat. They make a great vegetarian pasta!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank usayhi

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed 2 nights, split up by a night on Amantani island. We had been staying in hotels all week, so by the time we got to Puno we were ready for a change of pace. The Yavari provided just that. The bunks are super small (it IS a 19th century-era ship, after all), and getting ready in the bathroom requires creativity and a sense of humor, but besides that this was one of the most memorable experiences of our vacation. Even though the beds are narrow, because of the super soft pillows and the down comforters, the Yavari might have given me the best night of sleep on my entire trip.

But the sleep experience isn't the reason to stay on the Yavari. The novelty of waking up, walking out to the deck, and witnessing a beautiful sunset over Lake Titicaca before returning to the crew's mess area to eat your breakfast IS a darned good reason to stay on the Yavari. The TLC provided by Captain Giselle and her crew is probably the best reason to give it a try. She ate breakfast with us, had tea and small talk with us when we first got in, gave us a tour of the ship (the crew is VERY proud of what they have done to restore the Yavari), and even took us out to the deck at night to show us constellations like the Southern Cross.

If you are at all like us, you will probably be staying in plenty of hotels during your trip to Peru. Go ahead and give the Yavari a try--you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ccmoore81
Reviewed March 14, 2011

If you're staying in Puno, stay in Yavari! Like a tiny Titanic experience, the ship is beautiful and captain Giselle is the best host you can ask for, 24hrs super service.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We and another couple stayed on the Yavari for one night January 23, 2011. What a thrill to stay on such an historic ship. Because it has stayed on fresh water all of its live it is in great condition, even with original woodwork. The officer's mess (breakfast location) is a museum. Rooms are small - bunk beds - but after all it is a ship.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Easy to reach by Taxi or public transport the Yavari is located a bit outside of town and therefore far away from the hustle and bustle of Puno, no honking, no smog... wonderful!
The ship has been restored with love to all the details. The cabins are not exactly spacious, but very well equipped and much more comfortable than I had expected.
The crew and most of all the captain are lovely, very helpful, kind and friendly. You should not miss this!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2011

" I arrived in Puno early evening. Unfortunately my hostel was rather depressing
and the view from my window was onto a wall of brick, cement and wire ...about 8 feet away. After a bowl of soup in a nearby cafe, I returned to my cell and grappled with the night. I felt trapped.

In the morning I booked a tour of the famous reed islands for the next day. I then taxied 5km out of town to visit the YAVARI - a ship built in Britain in 1862 and shipped in parts out to Peru round Cape Horn. It was carried over the mountains on donkeys and reassembled on Lake Titicaca. It is being restored (started by a Britsh woman Meriel Larken Royds) and is located behind a hotel, 3 miles out of town. It is on the water but won't be sea-worthy until next year.

Arriving there was literally a breath of fresh air. Giselle Guldentops Benavides, the captain, showed me over the boat. It´s beautiful, all shiny brass, bells and varnished wheels, compasses and pistons. The boat was originally designed to run on coal with a steam engine, but since there isn’t coal around the Altiplano the original steam engine worked with llama dung. In 1914 the Bolinder engine replaced the old steam engine, the Bolinder now runs on diesel. Since September 2010 the Yavari has been offering B & B (6 berths ) and I needed little persuasion from Giselle who was sympathetic to my experience to move out of Giorgio's. I´d rather be in a narrow bunk with water birds outside my porthole instead of a brick wall. After Giselle had given me a ride back into town on the back of her tiny red motor bike, I bought some vegetables, said goodbye to Giorgio´s and returned to the ship.

The Yavari is moored at the end of a jetty beside the luxury Sonesta Posadas del Inca Hotel. The sun was setting, the clouds gathering and it wasn´t long before Giselle and I were standing on the bridge to watch a stupendous electric storm. I´ve never seen anything like it and Giselle hadn´t for a while. Gashes of horizontal lightning zipping halfway round the horizon, others splitting the sky from mountain top to lake. Puno is on the west side of Lake Titicaca, not far from the Bolivian border. The storm arrived having harassed Juliaca, (good choice!), bombed Bolivia turned back into Peru and hammered on - sparing Puno for some reason - thunder crashing around us echoing round the
lake, the wind throwing up the waves. In 4 hours the temperature had dropped
from shirt sleeves to gloves and thermals.

After the show it was vegetable soup and cinnemon tea at the captain's table
surrounded by nautical charts and the cosiness and crafty economy of ships spaces, a candle, polished wood and the Beatles. Then the unexpected comfort of a pure down duvet. From a room without a view to a view from the bridge – not bad I thought.

I slept deeply and the following day took a boat trip to the extraordinary Uros Islands and 3 hours further on the remote island of Taquile. That evening I lay on my bunk watching the sun set over the lake through the chunky brass porthole. The rippling waves reflected the rapidly setting sun and lapped the hull of this old lake inhabitant while a coot dived nearby. The Yavari was the perfect place to stay and Giselle the perfect host." Norah

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank norahrogers
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Visit----- http://yavari.org/ Yavari is moored in a quiet location near the Sonesta postades del Inca hotel. Yavari was rescued from ship breakers and has been gradually restored to her former glory. The enthusiastic staff give a fascinating tour of the ship including her restored engine room. The ships cabins are small with comfortable bunk beds. The charity that is funding the restoration hopes that once new bulkheads are installed to satisfy regulations, Yavari will once again carry passengers on cruising Lake Titicaca.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple