“A little sceptical”

and up
Half-Day Tour to Uros Floating Islands from Puno
Ranked #8 of 56 things to do in Puno
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Worth the visit to see how the floating islands operate but I wasn't convinced that all the people actually lived on the islands. It was quite commercial and prices for items seemed quite inflated. Take a ride in one of the local boats.

2  Thank bjm286
Write a ReviewReviews (5,873)
All reviews
"life style"
"bit touristy"
"totora reeds"

Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is a nice experice to take a boat ride on lake titicaca. It was a short ride out to Uros Islands. We disembarked on the island and were given a presentation about how the islands were made, who lives on them, how they survive, materials used etc. The locals sang and offered handicrafts for purchase. We were welcome to enter one of the houses on the island to see how the locals lived. We dressed up in the local attire and took photos. We were then rowed to another island in a boat made of reed. For some reason the tour operator just had us wait there for 20 odd minutes before leaving back for the city. It was a nice tour altogether but could have been more informative. I guess the overnight uros-amantani-taquile tour would have been much better. We booked through tourslaketiticaca.com. Owner of this company is great guy and was really helpful to us in Puno. He readilly changed our plans at no extra cost as we were not feeling well due to the altitude. We would book with them again if we ever are in Puno again.

3  Thank Namaste-Duniya
Reviewed June 23, 2013

OK it's interesting to know how people used to live and how Uros island were constructed but the whole ambiance is absolutely fake. All women are dressed just for the tourists' arrival, they sell items that I doubt they have produced themselves despite you see them sowing all the time. I also doubt they live there as on some other islands I could see proper houses. Their boats are all meant for a short ride which costs extra. It's a set up just for the tourists. You get a glimpse of how their life used to be. Personally it's not my taste. I found Taquile lot more authentic but the long boat drive isn't worth the time. If you want to experience Titicaca, better take a drive to its shores and enjoy the panoramas in several view points. Alternatively I would choose Copacabana as base rather than Puno which I found the most non descript and ugly city of all my trip to Peru.

3  Thank Panagiotis B
Reviewed June 20, 2013

this was a nice island. it's very touristy, but our tour took us to 2 other islands as well. So, that way overall the tour was amazing,