“Seen and be seen...”

and up
Half-Day Tour to Uros Floating Islands from Puno
Ranked #9 of 53 things to do in Puno
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Needless to say, a very interesting place to visit. The boats, the floating islands, how they stay afloat, how long they have been there, is all absolutely intriguing. The people that we met were genuinely interested in us as much as we were interested in them. Over time, the tourist factor has crept into the routine, and I can't fault them or anyone else of this. We wanted to see, they wanted to be seen. That is OK.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,808)
All reviews
"life style"
"bit touristy"
"totora reeds"

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our Uros island experience was definitely interesting but after studying the format it quickly becomes clear that it is a commercial operation. However, if that is what it takes to sustain the lifestyle and make an honest living then why not? The inhabitants were friendly and willing to share their weaving skills and way of life. I did feel like a tourist but they are happy to play the game!

1  Thank Maureen O
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It was a very nice place with an interesting history but it was to touristic, really prepared to receive tourists (a little trap) so with less charm than expected.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I went with a tour to Uros Islands. The boat ride on Lake Titicaca was fabulous and the best part. Our guide was Aymaran. She said the tourism and the money is helpful to the Uru people and that it is good they are learning of outside world. But, I felt uncomfortable being given "show" on their lives and homes then pressured to buy crafts. I tried to think how I'd feel showing someone from another culture my home. The reviews here are accurate and I'd say if you make it all the way to Puno go to Uros Islands, but make sure you bring small denominations of soles and be prepared to feel like a total tourist.

1  Thank katoka