“Better than expected.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Puno
Gatineau, Canada
“Better than expected.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

This hotel was worrying me before I went, as I was finding different reviews about it. However, at the end of my stay, I was recommending it to those asking for suggestions.

I found that the room quality equaled its price. We had comfortable beds, and a good sized room. The staff was friendly, although only one staff (the owner's grand daughter?) seemed to speak English (but she was there a lot, so it wasn't a problem).

Be careful for what you pay. For us, at 38 USD a night, booked through hostelbookers, a heater was NOT included. As it was very cold, we could rent one for 5 USD a night. Also always bring a photocopy of the prices agreed upon by Internet. They were going to charge me more, but I had printed and brought with me my price confirmation.

Cleanliness? It looked clean. However, when I went under the best because I dropped my camera battery, I found a pair un men underwear, a rolled up newpaper, and there was tons of written up promises to pay and other papers in the drawers... Therefore, not too sure about cleanliness.

One last thing, we took a cab from the bus station for 7 soles to get there. Very cheap!

It was quiet, and that was appreciated. Alone though, I might have been scared of walking up the hill in the unlit dark alley, but with the 2 of us (although women), it was OK.

They have free Internet (if you don't abuse it), which was really handy for us. They also have a good breakfast, with instant coffee.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

Stayed two nights. The Staff is amazingly freindly and accomodating. The hotel itself has been 'updated' and is in decent shape but the small things have gone untouched, as they sometimes do in smaller hotels. The ceilings were all peeling and water damaged in our room, the carpets were worn and dirty, stuff like that.
Our room was decent, huge wonderful wool blanket since the room had no heat. They also charged us $5 US per night to bring in a heater.
The hotel is up a steep hill away from the center and next to a school that wakes you up early whether you want to or not.
Puno is rather dirty and seemed VERY scary upon our arrival, not a great town, but the tours were awesome and well worth it.
If I was to recomend a place I would say to stay at the Casa Andina for about the same price. Its closer to town and a local brand name. Although I have stayed in Puno there read my next reveiw on Nazca. The Maria Angola was just a bit lower grade than I like.
Oh, by the way, it took me a few days but "Maria Angola" refers to the bell in the cathedral in Cusco, it is an apparently famous bell.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PHXTrainer

Travelers are raving about these Puno hotels

San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

We stayed at the Maria Angola for two nights, before and after our Lake Titicaca tour, which included a night with a local family on Amantari Island. We had some mixed feelings about this hotel. The location is convenient to the Plaza de Armas (main square) about 3 blocks away. The hotel features wood paneling throughout, a uniquely carved front desk, and rooms that appear to have been recently upgraded. The accommodations were clean, there was plenty of hot water, and the Peruvian breakfast was comparable to that of other hotels. The problem was that we were nickled-and-dimed for everything from a phone call for a taxi (1 sole), help with making a bus reservation (5 soles each), internet access (5 soles), etc., etc. On top of that, the hotel was rather dark (due to the wood paneling) and the owner’s had an odd habit of following us around, turning off the lights, even while we were in the middle of eating breakfast. We’re all for conservation and try to do our part, but this seemed to be carrying things to an extreme. For the price we paid, we feel that service could have been better and concluded that there are probably better deals at other hotels around Puno.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JohnZ-SanDiego
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

I reserved 2 nights using credit card points- it was a simple but clean hotel, relatively well located although up a steep hill on a side alley. The best feature was the staff who were very helpful with arrangements including a cab to Sillustani. Free internet in the lobby was also a plus. Breakfast was nothing to write home about though... overall would recommend staying there.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChrisADC
Skipton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

Quiet place which seems a bit tucked away, away from main part of town but easily walkable. Although all up hill on the way back which can be tough at this altitude. Not a bad place, rooms reasonable size and clean. Was a bit quiet when we stayed, not many other guests which made for strange atmosphere. Breakfast ok, staff fairly attentive. Some problems paying by credit card, a few phonecalls to Mastercard needed so it took a while.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple