“Clean, warm, excellent value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Intiqa Hotel

Intiqa Hotel
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Puno
Everett, Washington
“Clean, warm, excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

One caveat: bring your own alarm clock. There isn´t one in the room and my wakeup call never came, but they might have just not understood me when I asked them for one. Great big bath towel, space heater, pergo floors. I had booked for two nights but was forced to leave on my second evening to catch a bus ahead of schedule due to a strike on the way to Cusco. The hotel only charged me a nominal fee for my second day although I left at 6pm after having taken a shower. The staff is incredibly friendly, the location perfect. I would definitely stay there again. Comfortable bed, too! Two computers are available for use. Not the fastest, but free.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

It is a new, small, cosy, really nice hotel in the central area of Puno (2 blocks from the main touristic street). The bed was very comfortable, there were many film channels and the bathroom was spacious and clean. My boyfriend was ill so he spent all the day in the room. The friendly and helpful staff treated him very well. They offered the meals in the room without charging extra, lent him oxygen and even accompanied me to the drugstore late at night, as I was going to lake Titicaca next morning and wanted to buy the medicine before leaving. They sent us also fresh fruits in the room as a courtesy and tried to talk to us in Portuguese (my language) and French (my boyfriend's language). Kind gesture!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nizinha
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

Although we were a bit taken aback at the price as it was a lot higher than most places, after a 5.5 hour drive from Chivay in a rain and snow storm, it was a welcome relief and our driver knew exactly where it was. Probably the nicest room we had during our 2 week adventure in Peru. A bit of trouble connecting to the internet but seeing that the power had gone out during the rain storm, not surprising. Breakfast was great with quite a selection to pick from. The only negative thing I found was that we ended up booking this place on a website called hostelbookers.com as we couldn't seem to find the actual hotel website. The way this website was worded gave one the impression that the rooms were $35 a night where in fact they were $35 per person per night. When I contacted hostelbookers to complain, they basically told me I was out of luck. I could cancel but would lose my deposit. Anyway, it turned out okay in the long run.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price was higher than most other hotels we had stayed at
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

Great hotel. Stayed there for 2 nights when visiting Puno. 2 block from Calle Lima where all the activity in town is. A brand new hotel, with rooms for $50 better then many $200+ rooms I've stayed in. Extremely warm and personal service - when I got sick IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, the staff offered to cook me soup to make me feel better. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
NY, NY, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2008

This place deserves to be written up in every major travel guide!

Straight off the Inca Trail and the Cusco-Puno train, we felt we'd walked right into hotel heaven as soon as we'd arrived. Within minutes, we'd had a welcome cup of coca tea from the permanent tea service station in the lobby and were up in our spotlessly clean, well-appointed room with a comfortable bed, quality linens and plush towels, and flat screen TV with loads of English-language channels.

Opened just a year ago, I'd only clocked the Intiqa on random Peru travel websites, tripadvisor, and a small tourist magazine I'd picked up in Cusco. So it seems it's still a bit under the radar for the moment, but it can't last for long...for just $70/night for a double room, you've got an excellent room with en suite, professional/English speaking staff who give great tips, a superb and generous breakfast spread over which the chef has an incredible amount of pride, super fast WiFi and a modern desktop computer from which to print if you need it.

And the location is perfect....Yes, Puno itself is a bit of a dump, but lakeside accommodation at the likes of the Libertador or Sonesta is well out of town, far from the restaurants/shops of the city center (all three blocks of it). The Intiqa is just a block and a half from Lima, thus close to all the restaurants and shops and plenty of travel agencies to plan trips out to Lake Titicaca.

100% our favourite stay in Peru.

• Liked — Everything...the room, location, breakfast, WiFi
  • Disliked — The soap dispenser in the shower (I'm clutching straws here)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MHTK
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2008

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The staff are very helpful and accomodating. they were able to book my trip to lake titicaca the following day at an affordable price. the tour was nice and did not get the sense that they exploited the indigenous people. the guide had good relationships with the communities we visitied.

the hotel is also walking distance, about a block or 2, to the main shopping strp and plaza de armas.

the rooms were chilly though and the heater was not big enough to warm the room.

• Liked — staff are friendly and helpful. rooms are clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — rooms are chilly at night
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chicano_explorer
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed in the Intiqa having arrived in Puno on spec. We were so lucky to find such a fantastic hotel at such a great price. The double room was 45 dollars and proved to be excellent value at that.

The bedwas very comfortable, the room nicely decorated, the shower fantastic, the breakfast delicious and the staff superb.

The location was also good- just off the main street but far enough away so there was no problem with noise. The hotel organised a tour of the islands on the lake which we greatly enjoyed having been disappointed bu other arranged tours during our stay in Peru.

Stayed August 2008