Chimicuas House(Puerto Maldonado)(Great Value!)
$51
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
Anaconda Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)(Great Value!)
$31
Ecoamaziona Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
$520
Amazon Planet(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
Wasai Maldonado Eco Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Pool
Monte Amazonico Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Pool
Sotupa Eco House(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrainforest expeditionsopen wallthe rivertree climbingharpy eagletambopata research centrehour boat rideclay lickfarm visitopen airbeautiful lodgemosquito nethot waterserved buffet stylea great experiencefood was greatfew hours
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This lodge is really a unique experience. My husband and I brought our 3 sons (ages 6,8,10) into the rainforest not really knowing what to expect. The trip to the lodge is fairly long, but as we were walking up the final trail, our guide began to point out all the large spiders and bugs and our children were in heaven. The highlight of this part of our trip was running across (almost literally) the second most poisonous snake in the Amazon. Too cool. Our guide, Karina, customized our walks and excursions to kid-friendly locales and activities. She even helped them make T-shirts one afternoon and ordered them special lunch and dinner items, so that they would not starve. My husband and I actually thought that the food was excellent.
I followed other reviewers advice and packed everything in ziplock bags. This is a very good idea, as the air is extremely humid and it is nice to be dry at least for a little bit of the day. We applied bug spray several times a day and wore long sleeves most of the time, but still got bit fairly extensively on our backs and torsos. I'm not sure how this happened.
My only complaint is that there is no hot water. We knew this going into our stay, but the reality is still shocking. We don't mind roughing it for a while, but it sure would be nice to end your day with decent cleanliness.
We did not mind the lack of electricity. In fact, the candelabras and kerosene lanterns at dinner almost give the dining room a Hogwarts appearance.
The hotel has a dedicated play area upstairs in the main building for children as well as an excellent outdoor playground. This was a nice touch. I would highly recommend this hotel for families with children.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dgibson
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We stayed 3 nights in the lodge on the butterflies' lover program. On seeing the lodge I must admit I got a bit sceptical because it was so big and there were quite a lot of people, so I was affraid to not to be able to have the nature only for myself. Well yes, in the main builing it was noisy and crowded most of the time we were there, but as the area around the lodge is so vast, the people seemed to disappear and on almost all the walks we were completely on our own with nature!
I will not write too much about the room, as there are many other reviews about them. Yes, they are not sound proof, something I fully understood on our first night. Our neighbours were two ladies from USA. They woke up at 4 am the first night, and started to convers with two other ladies from the same group through the wall!!! As we were not to get up before 5 am, I got pretty angry. But it was enough to ask them to stop, and then I could get back to sleep.
There is no electricity in the room, and the karosene lamps get blown off at 9 pm. That is however not a problem, as you will go to sleep early anyway - most walks start at dawn, so you will have to get up at 4 or 5 am!
On waking up, if you're lucky, you can hear howler monkeys! We did on our last morning. We also had a resident tree frog in the bathroom. On the first night there was a bat chasing moths in the room, and on the second a banana we had left on the table got stolen (according to our guide, by an oppossum). Each evening there were also bats in the main hall, tiny ones. Thanks to the bats, there were no insects in the rooms or in the main hall.
There is electicity in the mail hall and in the bar, but not in the dining area. In the dining area there is a lot of candles, so the dining experience is very romantic (or would be, there were less people anyway...). The food is delicious! And it is safe to eat, even the salads. You will get delicious fresh juices with your food, and can also purchase drinks, beer and wine from the bar. Drink list is quite long, and all drinks cost 10 soles.
When the electricity is on (between 12 and 1 pm and some hours in the evening) there is also wireless internett available free of charge.
The lodge has a small spa. I tried a brasil nut oil massage, 40 min cost 100 soles. Wonderful!
On our walks we have seen peccaries (quite scary experience!), two kinds of monkeys, lots of birds and insects.

i would sum up the lodge as a wonderful place to be close to the nature. On the other hand, if you're looking for a luxury holiday, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jo-dr
Reviewed July 31, 2009

A truy amazing place. I was expecting a shack in the jungle, but this was a fantastic place with amazing staff. From the food to the rooms, there was not a single fault. The place was magical.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I was visiting the amazon as part of a longer trip around South America with a budget tour company and so was very surprised at the high standards set by this lodge. The location is wonderful - a short climb up a flight of stairs from the river bank through a section of rainforest that opens up into a lovely clearing with the lodge looming before you - amazing! Staff were all very friendly, our guide was knowledgeable and enthusisatic and the rooms simple, clean, and spacious. The relaxed atmosphere and good food (the best I ate on my whole trip) certainly helped, as did the extras on offer (massages etc). If ever I were to venture into that part of the world again I would definately return!

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Seeing reviews and pictures online really doesn't do this lodge justice. The rooms were spacious. The bathrooms were nice. The lodge itself was comfortable and had plenty of places to curl up and read a book. I thought the open air rooms would lead to tons of bugs, but I didn't see any in my room! I saw a large snail on the way to my room and one very beautiful blue beetle in the lodge. There was a tree frog in the bathroom! But other than that, the wildlife stayed outside. The weather was actually cool (so bring warmer clothes just in case) and it rained a lot when we were there so we didn't get to see as much as we would have liked. But it was fun and peaceful and relaxing. I ended up thoroughly enjoying myself.
The hikes were fun and we saw fresh jaguar tracks on one of our trails. It really is a neat experience.
Be prepared to have flashlights. And having your clothes in zip lock bags help to keep them dry. Also, don't forget the bug spray.
One note on the trip up to the lodge. It is a bit long. You tend to get distracted by the fact you are in the rainforest, but it takes awhile.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple