All reviewsrainforest expeditionsopen wallthe rivertree climbingharpy eagletambopata research centrehour boat rideclay lickfarm visitopen airbeautiful lodgemosquito nethot waterserved buffet stylea great experiencefood was greatfew hours
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My two friends and I had a great time here. The lodge has NO lights, electricity, hot water, windows, or doors. The rooms are completely open to the jungle! But each bed is covered by mosquito netting and none of us were bit by any insects during our stay. The rooms are lit by candles at night. Don't forget a really good flashlight because you will need it! Better if you get one that had a base so you can put it down when you need to. And bring a large citranella candle too. The lodge is really beautiful and very comfortable. We really liked our guide Paty...she was fun and very knowledgeable. She took good care of us. The food was very good and they have a bar. We didn't see too many animals but lots of different birds, frogs, lizards, butterflies, caiman, capybara. There is no wifi so don't plan on checking your email.

Also bring....slippers, bug spray, binoculars, comfortable footwear for hiking and some snacks.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bonny-Read
Reviewed October 18, 2008

Refugio Amazonas is an amazing place to stay in the jungle in Peru. Sure it takes a bit of getting there (including about 2.5 hours in a boat up the river) but its all worth it.

Our room was completely open to the rainforest along one side, which meant that you slept with all the sounds of the jungle. The beds all have mosquito nets, which means you can sleep easily without being bitten.

There are only cold showers, but it was so hot when we were there that you wouldn't want a hot shower anyway.

The food at the lodge was some of the best we had in Peru, and the bar served up some great cocktails.

If you're lucky, the guides will find you all kinds of wildlife, birds and insects. All of the staff were very friendly.

All up, it was a really memorable place to stay. I've never stayed anywhere quite like it before. Its so different to the rest of Peru. After a couple of days at Refugio Amazonas, you´ll be completely relaxed and won´t want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ricardofusball
Reviewed October 1, 2008

The Refugio Amazonas is a special place. Having stayed in the Amazon Jungle previously it compares very well with other locations. The location is easy to get to from Porto Maldonado ( 4-5 hours). Accommodation is well cared for. Meals could be better. Every effort is made to make you feel welcome. We met a guide called Nilton Bedriñana who took great interest in making sure our visit was what we wanted. We were lucky to see a Harpey Eagle when we were in the Canopy Tower. We saw Howler Monkeys above our heads in the tree tops. The Bird life was really good with Toucans & Macaws about and the guides able to discern type at a distance. It would be important to spend a few days ( not only 1 or 2!!). We visited following a 2 week trip thru Peru which was demanding but most enjoyable. A great way to finish the holiday.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank TravelGluttonDublin
Reviewed August 14, 2008

To the manager of the Refugio, Liz and our Guide Elder,

My family and I would like to take the time to thank the people of the Refugio Amazonas that made our family vacation one of our best ever. We stayed in your lodge from 28th of July until the 2nd of August. We participated in the 5 night kids program with our guide, Elder.

During our stay Elder consistently worked to teach our children the importance of the rainforest. He truly entertained them with his stories and activities. This is not always an easy thing to do with a 5 and 7 year old. He never let them out of his site as he explained the animals and plants of the forest. More often than not he walked hand in hand with them. His natural ability to care and educate small children is very impressive. He continuously entertained them and truly appeared to enjoy himself in his role as an educator. Any school would be lucky to find a teacher as skilled as he is. The rainforest and the world are lucky to have him on his side. I am sure my children will never forget him or the things he taught them about the forest.

In our live time we are lucky to meet special people who care not only about the job they do but also about the people they work with. My family and I were fortunate enough to find several people like this in your lodge.

On the last night of our trip my young son became very sick. No one was very sure what it was. It looked like an allergic reaction. By 9 PM he became very ill and was completely covered in a red rash and was starting to swell up. Fortunately, we had allergy medication with us but he was still not doing very well. Elder and the manager of the lodge, Liz, worked to get us a boat and taxi ride into Puerto Maldonado. We left at 11:30 PM. An adventure we will never forget. Two men, Henry, Pachanga and Elder picked up our two sleeping children and backpacks and took us out to the boat. We are all very impressed how 2 men found their way down the river at night.

In the end Elder, our guide, got us to the hospital and stayed with us until he found us a hostel at 4 AM . My children call him a hero and we, his parents thank him for helping us.

My son was diagnosed with scarlet fever that was inflamed by an allergic reaction caused by the heat and possibly the bug spray. My little girl reacted the next day.

I don’t know the right way to thank all of you. Your humanity and helpfulness will be in our memories forever. The world would be a better place with a few more Elders in it.

We hope to see all of you again one day. Please give a copy of this to Elder. Keep our email and if any of you find yourself in Florida let us know and we will show you around our “Jungle” The Florida Everglades.

Marcy Moran, Leonardo Moran, Miguelito and Josephine

PS. Josie and Miguel say friends forever to Elder

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank lemoca
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My wife and I spent four days last month at Refugio Amazonas in Peru’s Tambopata National Reserve. I recommend the Refugio Amazonas experience to all who want to get away from it all. The “lodge” accommodations are comfortable and kept clean. The food is very good. The staff is extraordinary and friendly. Our guide, Donnell, was excellent! We spent practically all our waking hours with Donnell, hiking through the forest. Donnell was a brilliant guide, and knew just how hard to push; he also knew everything about the rain forest. One night we saw a group of black peccaries with Donnell at the mammal clay-lick near the Lodge. It’s well-worth getting up early for the sunrise view from the canopy tower; see attached photo, but it cannot compete with the real thing. I saw and photographed more wonderful flora and fauna than I had ever expected. There were exceptional flowers on the forest floor as well as many beautiful birds, butterflies, lizards, and frogs.

The open wall to the forest from the rooms, the lack of electricity and AC, the early-to-bed-and-early-to-rise, all of the classic “lodge” requisites were actually a huge plus (with the possible exception of cold showers), and we are neither young nor adventuresome. We were, I will admit, very lucky to have unusually cool, dry weather. I slept better at Refugio Amazonas than I ever have ever slept before, partly I think, because of the quiet that was broken only by the delightful night sounds from the forest, and partly because I was happily exhausted from all the hiking. This is a perfect place for those who want to “get away from it all” because it effectively contrives to remove “it all” and offers the beautiful, fascinating, magical world of the forest in its place. This is not just an accommodation, but also an experience, and one that I cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family