“What an amazing experience!”
Review of Refugio Amazonas

Refugio Amazonas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about our upcoming stay, especially after reading the review by Nisha P indicating her experience was terrible. Let me just say that I am NOT into insects either. In fact, I've been known to run screaming from room if surprised by buzzing sounds. So you can imagine that this vacation was going to be a stretch for me. But we did our research and I understood going in that this was an open-air, low-tech eco-lodge and I was ready!

The experience was amazing! Yes, there were insects...it is the middle of the rain forest after all. But they were not a big deal and I only left with one mosquito bite and a short run-in with a cicada.

Our guide, Natalia, was great! She had a great sense of humor and took the time to show us things along each walk. She was also very patient and encouraging since I'm terribly out of shape and some of the walks were tough for me.

The sounds and sights of the jungle were also incredible, including the two agouti (not rats as described by Nisha P) that would pop out of the forest occasionally to look for brazil nuts and to check us out.

My advice? Do your research and know that this is not a Marriott in the middle of the jungle. It is an amazing, unique experience that you will love. We certainly did!

Room Tip: Agree with others that being at the far end of the rooms is quieter, but everyone turns in early any...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank m3sulliv

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Refugio Amazonas and the guide they provided us gave us an amazing jungle experience. Walls open to the jungle, no electricity in the rooms, and location deep in the amazon seemed daunting at first. But being able to see the birds and animals up close while sleeping under nets, drinking the free bottled water, and being guided by Natalia- a knowledgeable, energetic and cheerful guide made all the difference. The room was spacious, bathroom clean and functional (yes there is hot water!). The lanterns at night, hammock swinging just inside the open wall, and bird and monkey calls made the atmosphere complete. Food is OK, not why you go there. The walks, boat rides, and canopy tower provided great bird, plant animal and insect watching. There is no AC and no fans but it gets cool after rains and at night. We were not bothered by mosquitoes but did wear repellent.

Room Tip: Far end of the walkway is probably quieter in the mornings as there would be fewer people walking pa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had no idea what type of place we would be staying in because we were with a tour group, our boat docked, we all climbed off, went up these steep stairs to a path in the jungle hiked a little ways, then in front of us was this amazing lodge, I thought we went back in time and we were on the show "Fantasy Island" This place was amazing A huge log cabin style place with a bar in the center, Many places to sit and hang out, the upstairs was full of hammocks to relax on during the day. The rooms were off to the sides of the lodge on wooden dock walkways, with no electricity, no back walls to our rooms they just looked out into the jungle, it was so peaceful, we did have full bathrooms though, The rooms were beautiful with netting on our beds to protect from bugs, with our own personal hammock. If you like adventure this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ends will have the most privacy, you can hear your neighbors snoring, so if you are a l...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I found the whole atmosphere of the lodge relaxing and very peaceful.The open wall outlook to the rainforest in the sleeping accommodation area was very serene (although it would have been nicer if the trees were closer to the building) and I slept like a baby under my mosquito net. I did not even stir when a little creature helped itself to a bag of lollies that we forgot to put in the safe. It was also very pleasant and relaxing sitting in the lounge area of the central area of the lodge, which was also open.
The food was adequate and nourishing, although you would not get fat with what is available (this certainly would not have harmed some of the people I saw at the lodge).
I would have liked to stay longer than the two nights we were there, however that was the trip length.
For people that do not like creatures (including rats which, funnily enough, are native to rainforests) and insects (also native to rainforests unless they have been sprayed with vast quantities of chemicals) in close proximity to themselves, I suggest you stay at a five star hotel in a major city where the only thing you have to contend with is pollution, crime and the never ending noise of traffic.
I read a review that said there were cockroaches in the accommodation. I did not see any and these are also natives of rainforests.
The staff at the lodge were friendly and helpful and the guides extremely professional and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: Take insect repellent and sunscreen and if you have never been in the tropics, be aware that you hav...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David Y
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great time in Refugio Amazonas with all our family. The place was great but you must analyse it as a whole. The lodge was fantastic and i really loved the open wall as well as all the the wall system, etc. Food was not so great but we did not care much. Our guide Ana was absolutely fantastic and took great care of our girls, which was the essential issue of our trip. we had a fantastic trip and i greatly reccomend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

It's a great experience to be in the jungle like this, but I was disappointed in this lodge for 2 primary reasons: it was larger than I anticipated (more guests) and the design for the lodge means that it can be very noisy. The walls between the rooms are nothing more than a sheet of bamboo rods. The first night a woman next door to me came into her room just after I fell asleep and talked in a medium voice for over an hour, then went to bed (yeah!!!) and proceeded to snore loudly. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. On our second night there (night 4 of a 4 night tour) we were put into an end unit, which meant that the room was far quieter.
The number of people the lodge accommodates means that a large number of groups are competing for the same activities. Our guide took us to the canopy tower but the time was inflexible as all of the guides were trying to stagger times as the tower can only handle about 6 people at a time. When we arrived a large group was in front of us and we had to wait to get on the viewing platform for about 20 minutes. We went up, and another group of 2 joined us about 10 minutes later. 10 minutes later another large group arrived and our time was cut short.
The food was OK but they often ran short of portions. Dessert on the last night (some sort of coffee creme) was truly disgusting; I didn't see a single person eat it.
Having stayed in many African safari lodges which are top notch I probably have high expectations for a place like this - and it didn't measure up.

Room Tip: Get an end unit.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bmzalan
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have never stayed anywhere as disgusting as Refugios. I was there last year and booked it based on the reviews. Let me start by saying I am NOT into insects!! Well, I read there weren't any. When we arrived at our room at about 7pm and put the flashlights on, I saw about 7 cockroaches that were about 3 inches long! After I got over being traumatized, I had dinner (mediocre food) and hung out in the lounge area (where there was electricity) for a bit. As we hung out in the lounge with other tourists, someone notified me that there was a giant rat about 10 feet behind me and not to turn around. Then my husband and I literally ran back to our room in the dark for fear of being bit by some creature and jolted to our bed under the mosquito net with shoes on and everything! We couldn't sleep as we could hear mosquitos flying into the net near our ears all night long. Not to mention the bat conference going on up in the roof. The only good thing I can say about this place is that the tour guide was nice and excursions somewhat cool. Accommodations were horrible, and if you have the money, stay at Inka Terra!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nisha P
DaniellelParker, General Manager at Refugio Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your comments as they are useful to improve our services, nevertheless we are really surprised that you did not put them on your trip evaluation that we hand out to clients at the end of their trip. Your evaluation reflects that you had an excellent trip. We have tried to contact you several times by email without answer, I hope you are in good health.

Our Lodges have the Rainforest Alliance certification with a strict hygienic control and pest control that guaranties us a high percentage of common rats elimination, it is probable that you saw opossum and other insects as they are a component that makes the jungle a place with a huge biodiversity.

We are sure that on any of the tropical Lodges you might find mosquitoes, insects and opossums, it is a pity that it was and inconvenience for your trip.

Best regards,

#4 of 63 in Puerto Maldonado
Tambopata Research Center
Tambopata Research Center
#1 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Refugio Amazonas? Share your experiences!