Sandoval Lake Lodge
Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
$55
La Torre Inn(Puerto Maldonado)
$76
$38
Hotel Centenario(Puerto Maldonado)
$57
  • Bar/Lounge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)
$588
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hotel Puerto Amazonico(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
La Torre Valsai(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgiant otterscanoe ridesandoval lakerubber bootshot waterrainy seasonlong housebring flip flopssurrounding jungleblack caimana great experiencemosquito netleaf cutter antsbrazil nutbeds were comfortableall sortsrunning water
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have just returned from an amazing trip to Peru and we took the option of going to the Amazon. We were advised to stay at Sandoval Lodge, but used Tripadvisor to look at other options where we discovered the Inkaterra Amazonica.We stayed there for 3 nights and had an amazing experience taking all their excursions, one of them being to the Sandoval Lake to try to see the Giant Otters...we were lucky as we got the most amazing sighting of them mid morning in and out of the water. We still knew that we had one more opportunity, as we had booked one night at the Sandoval Lodge. Firstly one must know that the Lodge is 3.5 km walk away from the drop off point, so if you are not physically able, this could turn your holiday into a nightmare, especially in the rainy season (Dec-March) When we arrived at the Sandoval we were shocked by the condition of the hotel. The rooms are all adjoining with no ceilings, therefore no privacy, the rooms are dirty and the towels one could use as tea strainers, they were so thin. The manager was so disinterested in his job, and his staff followed his example.The food was like boarding house fare of the worst kind. The only good thing about this lodge is where it is situated, as it allows you to have an evening and morning cruise on the lake . In our case we had a great guide John who made up for the terrible lodge facilities and showed us the otters once more, sloths and amazing bird life. If you must stay, only stay one night for the lake experience, otherwise enjoy the Inkaterra which could not be faulted

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank baren
InkaNaturaTravelWeb, Senior Travel Advisor at Sandoval Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you so much. We are pleased that you enjoyed the experience-
Best regards
InkaNatura Travel Team

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We agree with most other reviews about the lodge but could only give this place an average to good recommendation.
The lodge has a unique setting with much wildlife and good guides. Perhaps the arrival of the new generator (8 men to move it to the lodge in 2 days) should improve the electricity arrangements with the old one in the blink.
Mosquito nets on the beds were in good condition with no holes but the place overall looked like it needed an overhaul. The meals were quite basic with no choice.
If your looking for an Amazon experience that's different this is the place, just be prepared for it's limited facilities.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael N
Reviewed September 18, 2012

3 days at the Sandoval Lake Lodge is something we will never ever forget. If you want an Amazon adventure, then this is the place to go. If you want 5 star luxury, don't go, simple. We found staying at the lodge to be part of the whole experience. It was fun, comfortable, clean and very friendly. You expect bugs in the jungle and we got them, we took photos of many of them lol! Those who berate this place should remember - it is basically wooden huts in the jungle! Posh wooden huts though - in my opinion.

Our guide Sonia was brilliant, waking us early in the morning for a hike through the forest or for a trip out on a canoe. This is what we went for. I didn't expect much before we went so I was more than happy with absolutely everything. Nothing disappointed me except of course that I should have taken a better camera! It was brilliant!

Room Tip: The rooms are open topped but it all added to the whole experience. It didn't cause us any problems.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vanessa L
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife, my sixteen year-old son and I felt that Sandoval Lake Lodge is a great choice for discovering the fauna and flora of the Peruvian jungle. The Lodge is more than comfortable and very well run. The manager, Jose Guillermo, and his staff were always accessible and tuned in to guests´needs.

Getting to the Lodge from Puerto Maldonado is part of the fun, first by motorized boat (about 45 minutes), then a reasonable walk on flat ground (under an hour) and then in a canoe on the Lake itself. Most guests seem to spend two nights at the Lodge. But we believed that would have been too rushed, and so we spent three nights as there was much to see.

Each day, before each meal, brought three excursions into the bush. Of course, you can always choose to stay in a hammock and just relax. There is also one night walk. Our tour guide, Juan, was very knowledgeable and spoke excellent English. We observed that the other guides were equally well-liked by the guests. Juan taught us much about the local trees and directed us to many locations where we saw many species of birds, caimans, tarantulas, 3 species of monkeys, and much more. The highlight was several close sightings of river otters (not always a given, as wildlife travelers understand).

When we booked, we felt that the cost per night was expensive. But once we saw how remotely the Lodge is situated, how difficult it is to transport everything from ¨civilization,¨ and how much staff is needed to keep the place so nicely humming, we realized that it could not really have been less expensive. I´m convinced that the Lodge is not about anyone´s profit, but rather to provide a great experience to the kinds of people that like this kind of travel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MrBill53
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple, visited the Sandoval Lake Lodge in early June. All of the comments posted helped prepare us on what to take and what to expect so let me just post what I thought was extremely helpful that you might overlook…bring the earplugs and the small flashlight - one that you can bring into your sleep area after the mosquito netting is lowered…without the flashlight you’ll never find the nightstand. Ladies, leave the hairdryer behind – do not take a lot of extra stuff - after a half day there trust me, no one really cares what you look like. We stayed 3 days, 2 nights and I brought clothes for 3 days…but what I found really useful was to wear one set of clean clothes in the lodge after you return from your treks so you’re semi-clean and comfortable for dinner and continue wearing the same sweaty, grimy outfit you wore the day before when you take your hikes, catamaran, and canoe excursions. And ladies, leave your nice bras behind, too…I truly wish I had packed 2 sports bras to take on this trip – that’s the item I would recommend. You WILL sweat…and all this talk about hot water…I truly don’t know if we had it or not because the only time we didn’t sweat was while we were taking showers – and cold ones felt great!

The accommodations are basic but we wouldn’t have had it any other way – we all felt we had a great Amazon jungle experience and when we talk about the trip it’s hard to say which part was better – Macchu Picchu or Sandoval Lake because the stories from Sandoval Lake are so much better!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple