“The Perfect Spot”
Review of Akwadup Lodge

Akwadup Lodge
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Best place to relax and disconnect from the city....just go and let them to be the hosts, guides, and even chef! Had a great time with my family in July 2013 and will always remember the Kuna friends.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Calderisi
There are newer reviews for Akwadup Lodge

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I went with my mum for two nights.
The facilities available are definitely nicer than in the rest of San Blas. There is a proper bathroom with tiles, a shower, sink and mirror. This is not something that you will find in other places.
The beds were comfortable with mosquito nets.
You get a nice ocean view from each room, hammock included.
Food was very nice, all fresh and local.
Anselmo, our guide, took care of everything and was exceptional. Service in general is really good and everyone is really nice and polite.
I really do recommend you bring the following:
-mosquito repelent. The hotel will give you one, but in my case it didn't work. Bring the strongest one you can find
-long sleeved shirts and long trousers
-cream for the mosquito bites you'll still get
-cash

Towels and bed sheets are provided

Overall it was a great experience, even though I'm Panamanian I learned a lot about kuna culture.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank lauraperez15
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A friend and I chose to go to the Akwadup Lodge as opposed to the more touristy Western part of Panama. We cared less about hanging out on the beach and being with other tourists and more about seeing the local Guna culture, an indigenous group. With that said, the beach alongside the hotel really isn't for swimming. It's too rocky with some trash. There is the potential for snorkeling, but it's not even that spectacular. What I will say, is that this is worth it to see a different culture and to eat fresh seafood (shrimp, octopus, king crab) by a hotel run by wonderful people. The cabins are on the water with hammocks in the back. The staff ensure there is bug-repelling incense burning at night and misquito nets. Please note that the airport strip is full of little biting bugs so definitely bring the bug spray.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I stayed 3 nights at the Akwadup Lodge in San Blas, Panama. We had a magnificient vacation. We wre well taken care of and made many happy memories and met some wonderful Kuna people. The staff, especially including "Sam", Fronilda, Jose, and Horacio were so gracious and fun. Sam, the chef, really prepared some of the best fresh seafood we have ever tasted! Fronilda was a darling server that taught us during each meal, and Horacio and Jose took us on boat adventures, including snorkeling and a beautiful day trip to a gorgeous beach on the Carribbean. We definitely reccomend this lodge - and would go again!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We accidently crashed in the Akwadup Lodge because we first wanted to go to another Island but then we stayed there for 4 wonderful days. Due to the fact that we were alone most of the time, the beach was completely ours and the service was excellent. During these four days I think I ate the best fish I've ever tasted!
It was a really relaxing time and we enjoyed it very much !

Room Tip: My tip would be to prepare very very good against mosquitos !!! we got bit like 200 times although...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I spent my vacation in Panama in multiple hotels and lodges, but Akwadup was the best experience I had! Spending time on such a beautiful island, staying in rooms built over the crystal blue water was so exciting. The people on the island are so friendly and open their home up to their guests. During the day, the young man working there Daniel was so kind and after me telling him I really wanted to lay on a beach, he took all the guests out to a private island with perfect white sand, in the center of the turquoise water. Every location in San Blas is beautiful, and Daniel showed us all the most exquisite ones. The lodges are comfortable and at night, the sound of the ocean and slight breeze are very comforting. Waking up and laying in one of the hammocks or going in for a meal with fresh, local fruit, it is always an amazing experience. I would love to go back and stay longer! Thank you, Akwadup :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rosalie510
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We wanted to get a real experience with the Kuna's and this is it. We arrived at our islands to view the 6 thatched cabins over the water...great way to arrive! We had a slight mix up with the number of cabins but we were able to sort it out quickly. We booked our reservation ourselves and had some translation issues over email. The cabins are basic but clean and comfortable. Bring something for the sand fleas! You will get eaten alive in a short period of time without it. It was great to visit the local villages and see life as they live it. The food was just OK - they cook what they catch for the day so it is always a surprise. Overall it is a great way to relax and live life like the Kuna's do!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends