“Sunny, great pools, drinks ... needs a lot of work though.”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Toronto, Canada
“Sunny, great pools, drinks ... needs a lot of work though.”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Good points: * Clean, gorgeous, expansive grounds and pools. Huge!
*Check in and check out were surprisingly efficient.
*Nolitour reps were helpful, friendly, informative and patient
*Beds are comfortable.
*Rooms seem to be cleaned well.
*Food is not too bad, but beef is tough. Drinks are always yummy! Cups are big enough, but if you like big drinks, bring the bubbas.
*Beach is sandy and you can walk barefoot.
* Pretty peacocks, lizards, salamanders wandering around (even one little guy in our room one night ... to be expected on main floor)

Negatives: *It's a 2 hour bus ride, not 90 minutes, but new airport will remedy this soon.
* We were a group of 15, and requested reservations near each other when booking in Nov/Dec. NOPE. Two families with small kids wanted adjoining rooms. NOPE. One of them even got 2 separate rooms in different buildings. We asked to be away from the noisy lobby 1 area, near lobby 2 and got a room right beside Lobby 1. Two rooms in our group requested ground floor due to mobility issues (medical info submitted, agents put in requests and I sent an email to 2 places in English and Spanish requesting their assistance). NOPE. Instead we got 3rd floor, and 2nd floor. We tried to solve the 3rd floor issues the first night and were told by limited English speaking person (AT FRONT DESK!) to talk to our tour guide in the morning. NO effort to resolve the problem at all. All the tour guide did in the morning was call the front desk and it was solved.
* Lack of English even during the shows, left us feeling a little out of the loop. I recommend that you learn a little espanol as it will help you here.
*Lots of stairs ... everywhere. I knew there were stairs, but didn't think it was so many. Good exercise but definitely not enough golf carts running around to transport the amount of those using canes, walkers, or elderly.
* Water on beach is murky, can't see feet but sand is smooth, NOT rocky.
* Buildings seem old ... blocked shower heads ran hot or cold (no happy medium) ... mold in many corners .... sheets not big enough to fit king size bed ... a/c broken for 2 days ... thin walls you can hear TV and talking, not to mention the birds in the morning!
* My service rating was poor due to several factors. The front desk was unhelpful. The staff at restaurants/buffets didn't seem very amenable to serving drinks, only clearing tables off asap. A few bright stars warranted tips, but generally, it was easier to get your own drinks, especially coffee in the morning.

TOURS:
We took a personalized tour with Guido Berguido's tour company. Our tour guide was Luis Paz. We HIGHLY recommend them. Their price was more than reasonable. We felt safe in Luis' company. He even stopped some tourists from going into a bad area. SO NICE! It was a long day, but we saw Gamboa rainforest, the 3 Panamas (La Vieja, Casco Viejo, Nuevo), Panama Canal and even got a little souvenir shopping in, with a stop for a nice lunch along the way. They can be reached at gcberguido@hotmail.com or Panama phone #(507) 6676-2466

It's a nice place. I would CONSIDER returning but only if there are major improvements in customer service and room renovations. That being said, you will have a good time here.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter as they don't seem to bother with your request. However, I would suggest at...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Katalin69Canada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was our second time to this resort in as many years. Sometimes when you go back it's not as good as it was the first time. This was as good if not better. The first day, sitting by the pool one of the entertainment people came up to us and said "This is not your first time here", He remembered us from last year, along with a few others.The weather, food, drinks, entertainment, and the hotel were great. We were glad we went again. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for heat. The average temp was 40 c.

Room Tip: Middle row is quieter
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Grampab
Toronto
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Let me first start by saying I have been to many many all inclusive resorts and I was very very worried about all the negative reviews because I can be very very picky!!!!! But the only thing I can say is that if you are going for a beach don't go here but if your going for the sun it is the place for you, but you need to go longer than 7 days. You literally lose 2 full days arriving and departing if your coming from Toronto. You reach the resort at 10pm and you leave the resort at 9 am but still don't get home until 10pm. My 14 year old son and I went from Feb 3-10. The weather daily was close to 40 degrees. Each day usually had a 2 hour cloudy period. This sun is nothing compared to the Carribean!!! But the beach is not dark sand, very far from the water is the softer sand and the water is not clear at all and lots of jelly fish and stuff. If you don't have to be at a beach and you love the pools that's great because there is 8 of them!

The rooms are standard rooms, as other reviews say the sliding balcony doors don't work and your AC is hit and miss. I paid for a security safe which although I would put in the right code it would say error and had to get security in who just opened it with his main key so what was the point of having a safe?

The birds are VERY VERY loud and are up at sunrise! The latest they let me sleep in was 645. So I took advantage of this and enjoyed full days in the sun. I guess they are louder in some areas like where I was in the first block #19.

Unless you have to go to your room often up and down the hills really isn't an issue. You go down for the day back up to get ready for dinner and one more up and down. Now if you have mobility issues this is NOT for you. The resort is massive, I didn't even see half or a quarter of it. Beautiful though and pools are clean.

Food and drinks the same as any other all inclusive. If your a big food person then don't go to this place. I go for the sun so it didn't bother me.

English - no one really understands you but if you don't like that go some where English is the language. Unfortunately I was not able to get a hold of anyone that could understand that it was my son's birthday and when I finally got a hold of someone at 5pm the day of they told me I needed to tell them by 12 that day, I tried to explain that I tried. Anyways I brought candles and just got a dessert and lit up the candle for him!

Shows - typical all inclusive. Some great dancers and they put a lot of effort into it. If you want to be active all day you can except that they tend to run different activities all at the same time which is not good if you want to be involved because you have to miss the other stuff.

If your travelling with a teenager, it was safe. He met great people from all over and there was no real issues. The activitie guys loved him.

The kicker at the end of the day......going home. We are suppose to load the bus at 9am I over hear someone say the flight is delayed I go ask the Air Transat lady and she says yes you can go for an hour and come back and check in we will have more information. YaHooooooooo!!! I don't have to leave yet. I get my suitcase out, take out my bathing suit, lotion go change and share the great news with everyone. I tell a family I met and they wanted to go check and went and asked was told yes it was delayed come back in an hour and then they said oh wait we just got information were good to go now!!!!!! They come back and tell me they are loading my bus. What on earth. How can you tell someone to go come back and an hour and then change your mind! Sure enough I had to go and get my clothes back on and get on the bus. I was sooo angry I knew that there was no way that the plane could be on time as it had not even left Canada! They just didn't want us at the resort drinking at 10 when the bar opened! So then what happened?????? Well many people missed the bus because they were told to come back in an hour and so they did and the buses were gone!!!!! This was NOT OK! And guess what we got to the airport to sit for 4 hours because the flight was 1.5 hours late!!!! This is not ok and not very good customer service!

The 2 hour bus ride sucks but I knew this but what makes it worse flying from Toronto is the flight times, why wouldn't they change the times to leave early in the morning so that you can at least get a part of a day. It truly is crazy when you get there and literally 2 min from the resort is an airport!!!! You hear different things about this airport, it will be open in a month, 8 months, never because its not big enough! If they don't use this airport they have to change the times because losing 2 days is such a waste of money and a damn tease!!!!!!

This definately is not a 4-5 star resort but a 3 as it is typically your all inclusive like Cuba or Dominican but the sun is NOT, it was soooo much hotter I can't even tell you, I loved every minute of every ray, but I am a sun worshipper. If you want shade you have to be down to get a chair by 645!

Woody's down the beach I was sooo not impressed!!!!!! I went the day after I arrived to use the wifi to tell family that I got there. It was not working! I asked the bartender to make me the best fruity drink that they had, he didn't understand me, so I got a coke and left! I went back on Sat to watch the hockey game that only kept freezing and guess what the wifi was working, but I could not connect it so when I asked for help they just told me it was working! Monique the owner, I was sooo unimpressed with her! The bar was full! Hockey game and band playing there was no seats. My son and I had dinner here and drinks and we went with a family of 4. We all had our resort bracelets on which to me shouts out were chosing to come to your bar rather than drink and eat at our resort that we've paid for! I attempted to talk to her and get her to help me with the wifi but she was rude and ignorant and wanted nothing to do with me. But if you happened to be somone she knew she was all friendly. I did not appreciate her lack of attentiveness, although this could be because she seemed to be drinking a lot while working.

Again if your going for a beautiful beach, amazing food, good treatment this is not for you! At the buffets you were lucky if anyone came to you to ask you if you wanted water so if your looking for this this is not the place, If your just looking for beautiful sun, cool clean pools this is the place for you! But again you can't just do 7 days from Toronto, trust me it is NOT enough!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank beachbum1414
Stony Plain
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Visited this resort early January and of course before going I read many reviews to get a sense of what to expect.
The grounds are beautiful and huge. There is a HUGE tree that is in the middle of everything that is amazing.
Pools are large and there are many of them. The resort was busy but it seemed there was plenty of room to swim around. Plenty of bars to get your drinks but not a lot of servers getting those drinks for you. I also noticed a lot of staff when they had a moment to spare, they were on their cell phones. On a few occasions while going to get a towel, I had to get their attention because they attendant was on their phone. My opinion, that very poor service.
The beach is great!!!! If you are wanting prime beach location in the shade you will need to get there early to reserve your spot although again the beach is huge so if you hunt a little you will find a great spot. The sand can get quite hot but a quick 20 second walk gets you to the compacted part of the beach where it is no where near as hot. Beautiful to walk on and you can walk for miles. The beach also has a fair amount of black sand mixed in. I was told it is from the volcano's in the area. Truth to that I don't know.
The ocean is warm but with the undertow stirs up the sand so it not clear. So many reviews I read said the undertow was very strong and you could not swim but that is not true. No big waves crashing down on you. Plenty of water activities to enjoy. There is even a water propelled jet suit so you can fly around the ocean. I watch for a bit and it looked a little difficult to do. One girl spent 20 minutes trying and never got airborne, just face washes. $85.00 US/half hour.
I few reviews I read complained about the amount of stairs you had to climb. Well, yes there are a few stairs but not that many. All sort of people were easily climbing the steps and never saw anyone stopping because they were winded. Normal walking pace, 2 minutes to climb the stairs. If you don't like stairs there are plenty of ramps to get up and down.
I am a avid golfer and have play plenty of PGA tour quality courses. Golf course is enjoyable to play but not in great shape. Green speed was a little slow, 7 on the stimpmeter and the rest of the course was in ok shape. Good resort golf.
Service is poor. As mentioned, I witnessed many staff members on their phone and you had to get their attention to be served. Try to learn as much Spanish as you can as it will really help. Some staff members speak broken English but a lot speak none. Tipping can help your level of service but sometimes it seemed that it did not help.
Food. What can I say? Eek! I lost weight on this trip. The buffets are poor. Flavourless food. Over cooked. Some of it I did not even know what it was. The omelet stations were ok but the eggs tasted a little different. Pancake station was serving pancakes dense like hockey pucks. Some of the juices were fresh (watermelon, strawberry) but the orange juice was tang (powdered mix). Lunch buffets were mostly hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. It was hard to even find guacamole which I figure would have been plentiful. And again, the dinner buffets were just as bad. But, the fresh buns were fantastic. Many reviews I read said that the food is just Panamanian style but after leaving the resort we spent 3 days at the Hard Rock Hotel in Panama City and the food was amazing so I have to disagree that the food was just Panamanian style. The food is just poor. The only place we did enjoy to eat on the resort was the Cayuco Restaurant which turned into a grill for dinner. The grilled meats were very good although the one night my chicken was served to me not full cooked and pink inside.
One saving grace for food is Woody's Bar which was a ten minute stroll down the beach. Canadian people own this bar. Canadian flags flying and great entertainment and food. We went on a friday evening and enjoyed great tenderloin and lobster ($25.00). Live band playing, lots of people dancing, hockey playing on the big screen and even some very friendly dogs hanging out. Highly recommend checking this place out.
The last thing I will touch on is the bus ride to the resort from Panama City. Long and loud. Two and a half hours on a full bus with a tour guild speaking way too loud into the microphone. The resort is only 120 km or so from the city but with traffic and twisty roads you don't travel too fast.
I don't know if I will return to this resort but I will say that I would return to Panama City.

3 Thank Tothman

Travelers are raving about these Farallon hotels

Leader, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The weather in Panama was unbelievable!! Beautiful beach. The ocean is dark which may be one of the reason my husband stepped on a stingray. The staff could not speak English which was a major difficulty - they did speak Spanish and French but we do not. Trying to ask for a doctor or a first aid station was impossible!!!
This was one of the worst resorts we have ever stayed in. They did not have a room for us when we arrived at 10:30 at night - had not idea we were arriving even though i had all the confirmation letters. We had to go to 3 different lobbies before they found us a room. The rooms are ok but no hot water for the majority of the time. The staff not speaking English made everything many more times more difficult.
The excursions were amazing - the Panama Canal boat tour was the best we have ever been on!!!

Room Tip: Beach front is the best. or Ocean View near Lobby one is the next.
1 Thank L T
Bobcaygeon, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This resort is easily a high 4 stars to 5 stars. It is the best all inclusive resort my wife and I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. knowing in advance the bus ride from the airport was a 2 hour trip we sat back and enjoyed a look at the countryside. The resort is very spacious but nothing is more than a few minutes walk from your room. Check-in and check-out was so well organised that we never spent more than 5 minutes at either end. Staff everywhere were smiling and happy to serve us, even those that spoke only Spanish tried very hard to understand us and make us understand them, a few gestures a smile and all went well. The food was delicious, the best pineapple I have ever eaten amongst the freshest fruits and vegetables anywhere. The beach was long and wide and made for a lucrative shell gathering trip for my wife. The grounds are lush and excellently looked after, the peacocks and Iguana seemed to love it as they strolled around all over. I played golf twice in the week we were there and found the course very challenging and well manicured, I have water magnet golf balls so did lose a few lol... We did not venture out on any excursions as we only had a week so did not want to lose a full day but next trip we will book more time and take a field trip or two. I cannot understand the negative reviews unless they come from spoiled brats who expect people to wait on them hand and foot and wipe them when they are done. Looking forward to our next visit to enjoy the numerous pools and snack bars amongst the great restaurants where we can enjoy more good meals and fabulous service. We can then take another walk down to Woody's and see the TML jersey we left them.
We are from Bobcaygeon Ontario Canada.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 44 block near lobby 3 and found it to be very comfortable. It was quiet and close t...
7 Thank piratesglen
ontario canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Went last week from Toronto with Air Transat, way better than Sunwing ever could be. Resort was beautiful, lots of pools, and the beach was great for walking. Took a tour to Gamboa, did the airiel tram, saw monkeys, crocs, and othe wildlife. Stopped at the restaurant there and the food was great. Saw lots of freighters on the lake Food was pretty good, never went hungry with 3 buffets. We were in the rooms in the villas, really nice and quiet, a bit of a walk to the beach but shuttles were always available. The weather was fantastic, hot high 30's every day. Saw some great sunsets and sunrises. Would definitely go back but for 2 weeks next time as you lose a day getting there and going home. The airport in Panama was ridiculously overpriced. Will be nice when the airport is done as it is really close to the resort.

Room Tip: Would rather have had a room with a view of the ocean, but the villas were nice and quiet, only 3 co...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank vacationgirl55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
Casa Guardia Panama
Casa Guardia Panama
#2 of 5 in Farallon
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
Hato Viejo Boutique Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!