A group of 18 of us went to this resort for New Year's. I travel extensively and feel that this resort is rated fair as a 4 star all inclusive. We usually tend to stay at 4 1/2 - 5 star all inclusive resorts, so I was a little hesitant, but as it was such a large group, and we were trying to maintain a budget, we went with it.
It is a large resort and a lot of walking. We upgraded to a beachfront room, which I feel was worth it for location alone. The rooms were what I expected - yes they are dated, but the bathroom is fine/clean and the room itself is ok. The bedding and furniture are older but comfortable. I won't repeat what's already been said about safe, keys, etc.
The food is exactly what others have said. Buffets were lacking, however my kids (well adults really) liked it. The beach snack bar was fairly good with nachos, hot dogs, etc. We ate at the Italian, which was good, the japanese, which was also good, and the Thai, which had good food, but service was lacking. Overall, the food is ok. One of my daughter's did have some stomach issues, which has never happened before.
Pools and grounds were very nice as well as the beach.
Bars were good and you never had to wait too long for a drink. I would have preferred if they had offered a more varied alcohol selection (no Crown Royal or Canadian Club), but it was fine. The red wine was better than I expected, which was a nice surprise.
We did go down the beach to Woody's and Sunset Grill. Both are owned by Canadians, and both have good food and drink and are very reasonably priced. It was a nice break from the resort food/drink.
My main complaint is the service. Overall, the people were not very friendly and service was hit and miss. While we did get by with the language barrier, it was a bit of an issue. I've never been to a resort where so little english was spoken. I guess they cater to a lot of tourists from Central/South America and that's understandable, but there were a large number of Canadians, so you would think it would be easier to communicate. I'm not one of those people who travel and expect everything to be like at home. Most places we visit, the people speak Spanish but at least they have a little knowledge of english (as I do Spanish....and I do mean little) and it's easy to get by. I sometimes felt like some of the staff spoke english better than they let on, which is very weird. We noticed this a couple of times.....let's just say we were talking to staff and trying very hard for them to understand us, and then they would let a sentence or words slip out that showed they could clearly speak english. Not sure what that was all about.
We did end up booking a City/Panama Canal tour with the last two nights in Panama City. It was a really nice way to end the trip, and you really should see Panama City/Canal. We could have booked this option prior to leaving and we wished we had of. The Hard Rock Hotel was booked, so we stayed at the Radisson right next door. We were happy we did. The Hard Rock was very busy and too much going on. Our kids liked the Night Club there though. Booking this through the excursion desk was another whole story and it took a couple of hours and going back three different times to get it right. They first just booked me for the City tour, and then when I realized and went back, they made me wait for a an hour or more and still didn't have the right information for pricing as the appropriate person wasn't in that day. I did go back the next day and got everything booked, only to be called later in the day saying the Hard Rock was unavailable. Not sure why they make you pay, etc. before confirming this. Anyhow, it all worked out in the end.
So it all depends on what's important to you if you're considering staying here. It is a 4 star resort, and exactly what I expected. I personally wouldn't go back because of the food and service, but if you get a good deal and just want the sun/heat, you may be fine with it. Oh yes, it is very very hot here, but I guess you can't complain about that when it's a deep freeze at home!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama is an all inclusive hotel located about 2 kilometers of white sandy beach in Farallon, Panama. The hotel is located on the Pacific coast, close to many tourist attractions. Also, the city of Panama and the Tocumen International Airport (PTY) are located 120 miles away. The Royal Decameron in Panama hotel offers 852 guestrooms in low-rise buildings and 370 rooms Villas. Each room is equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV, closet, safe (local charge), direct dial telephone (with deposit cash at the reception) and a private bathroom with shower and hair dryer. Also have a minibar as part of the all inclusive plan and the villas are located on the golf course. Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama offers eight pools for adults three wading pools, three hot tubs, a casino, a golf course with 18 holes and a full spa. This beach hotel also offers a variety of organized activities on land and water for the whole family, and two convention centers for business travelers. The Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort has 11 bars, a nightclub and 10 restaurants ranging from traditional to the more exotic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf Hotel Farallon
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf And Casino
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort Panama
- Royal Decameron Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Panama
- Hotel Royal Decameron Beach
- Royal Decameron Costa Blanca Hotel
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort Golf & Casino
- Royal Decameron Resort Panama
- Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama/Farallon