“What I Expected”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed January 17, 2014

A group of 18 of us went to this resort for New Year's. I travel extensively and feel that this resort is rated fair as a 4 star all inclusive. We usually tend to stay at 4 1/2 - 5 star all inclusive resorts, so I was a little hesitant, but as it was such a large group, and we were trying to maintain a budget, we went with it.

It is a large resort and a lot of walking. We upgraded to a beachfront room, which I feel was worth it for location alone. The rooms were what I expected - yes they are dated, but the bathroom is fine/clean and the room itself is ok. The bedding and furniture are older but comfortable. I won't repeat what's already been said about safe, keys, etc.

The food is exactly what others have said. Buffets were lacking, however my kids (well adults really) liked it. The beach snack bar was fairly good with nachos, hot dogs, etc. We ate at the Italian, which was good, the japanese, which was also good, and the Thai, which had good food, but service was lacking. Overall, the food is ok. One of my daughter's did have some stomach issues, which has never happened before.

Pools and grounds were very nice as well as the beach.

Bars were good and you never had to wait too long for a drink. I would have preferred if they had offered a more varied alcohol selection (no Crown Royal or Canadian Club), but it was fine. The red wine was better than I expected, which was a nice surprise.

We did go down the beach to Woody's and Sunset Grill. Both are owned by Canadians, and both have good food and drink and are very reasonably priced. It was a nice break from the resort food/drink.

My main complaint is the service. Overall, the people were not very friendly and service was hit and miss. While we did get by with the language barrier, it was a bit of an issue. I've never been to a resort where so little english was spoken. I guess they cater to a lot of tourists from Central/South America and that's understandable, but there were a large number of Canadians, so you would think it would be easier to communicate. I'm not one of those people who travel and expect everything to be like at home. Most places we visit, the people speak Spanish but at least they have a little knowledge of english (as I do Spanish....and I do mean little) and it's easy to get by. I sometimes felt like some of the staff spoke english better than they let on, which is very weird. We noticed this a couple of times.....let's just say we were talking to staff and trying very hard for them to understand us, and then they would let a sentence or words slip out that showed they could clearly speak english. Not sure what that was all about.

We did end up booking a City/Panama Canal tour with the last two nights in Panama City. It was a really nice way to end the trip, and you really should see Panama City/Canal. We could have booked this option prior to leaving and we wished we had of. The Hard Rock Hotel was booked, so we stayed at the Radisson right next door. We were happy we did. The Hard Rock was very busy and too much going on. Our kids liked the Night Club there though. Booking this through the excursion desk was another whole story and it took a couple of hours and going back three different times to get it right. They first just booked me for the City tour, and then when I realized and went back, they made me wait for a an hour or more and still didn't have the right information for pricing as the appropriate person wasn't in that day. I did go back the next day and got everything booked, only to be called later in the day saying the Hard Rock was unavailable. Not sure why they make you pay, etc. before confirming this. Anyhow, it all worked out in the end.

So it all depends on what's important to you if you're considering staying here. It is a 4 star resort, and exactly what I expected. I personally wouldn't go back because of the food and service, but if you get a good deal and just want the sun/heat, you may be fine with it. Oh yes, it is very very hot here, but I guess you can't complain about that when it's a deep freeze at home!

Room Tip: I'd go for the Beachfront rooms. We were in the 30 block and it was a great location and view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank JenAy
There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I recently spent 5 days at the Royal Decameron - Dec 31 - Jan 5 with my wife and another couple . We each had ocean view rooms at the north end of the resort (building 46).

Review:
Room: Room was clean and the bed comfortable. Location was good for the view, but required a fair bit of walking up and down the hill to go the beach and restaurants. It was close to the adult only pool and bar.

Beach: Nice enough beach for the pacific. Had to be out early (7:00am) to get any shaded spot with a beach chair - (could have been the time we were there). Nice for walking on. We rented Jet ski's ($65 for double for 1/2 hour) We took the hobi cat out.
Enjoyed visiting Woody's Bar down the beach - watched the world Junior semi final hockey game there!

Food: We are at three al a cart places - Japanese, bbq Grill and Seafood. Seafood was pretty good, the Japanese good/ok and the BBQ place the best. The food for breakfast and lunch were buffet style - food was OK. You could always find something to eat.

We spent a total of 14 days in Panama and this was the first 5 days of the trip. This was our least favorite for all members of our group.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank RalphMalf
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The big issue for myself was no one seems to care ! The lack of English speaking front line workers and the poor quality workmanship on grounds makes the resort that has tons of potential a big disappointment . I think the management needs to be changed first off, and the staff to learn to appreciate there jobs .I talked and witnessed several frustrated guests . The food is not very good and simple labeling would make a big difference . I asked does this have sea food and they shrug there shoulders . The ATV tour that runs out of National rental that the resort offers is just not safe. I booked it and after examining them we refused to partake then spent 2.5 hours and two separate days trying to get our money back. The lights around the Pools have exposed wires and the A/C units are scary with exposed wires no junction boxes with live wires that will be sure to offer you many sleepless nights with the loud noises that come from these units .These are just a few of several issues that make this a low end resort .

1  Thank sedric
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We just got back January 13th. One week trip.

I stayed at this resort before, in November of 2002, so it has been 11 years since I was last there.
I had a good time last time. Many things were the SAME as before, many things have CHANGED over the years.

All in all (summary/blanket statement): we had great weather, clean room, clean resort, great drinks, excellent facilities, and average/ok service and average/ok food.

Now for the details...

FACILITIES: this place is a dream for those who enjoy walking and enjoy a large resort. Several swimming pools, a huge expanse of beach, tons of beach lounge chairs and pool lounge chairs, tons of bars, and restaurants. This place seemingly goes on and on and on.
The grounds were fairly nice with green lawns, a variety of species of trees and bushes and flowers around the resort. If you're lucky, you'll see free-roaming peacocks on the resort (I didn't personally see them on this visit but I saw them in 2002 and people we met on this trip in 2014 said they saw them, so they are still there). The lawns had sprinklers going and men cleaning up debris and leaves, so maintenance was good. The pools were cleaned daily in the morning and the decks and lounge chairs were washed nightly. The staff work hard to keep this place looking good. This resort is NOT a good resort for people in wheel chairs or who have mobility issues, such as not being able to walk a lot or not being able to do stairs.

FOOD:
The food was very hit-and-miss for me... I personally did not like a lot of the soups and stews and entrées they were offering in the buffets at Panamai or Atlantis (regardless of time of day). I really didn't like their scrambled eggs. They had a weird taste that I couldn't put my finger on.

However, that being said, I found a LOT of other things I did like. We certainly didn't go hungry. :-P

Food items that I liked, that I recommend to other North American travellers:
-- the nacho chips with hot gooey cheese, and/or chili, and/or salsa at the beach grill (Cayuco was the one I was going to) - east end of the property. They also had tasty french fries, burgers and hot dogs. The items in the dessert case were quite good there too.
-- the Sushi Samba a la carte restaurant was nice - the 3 pieces of sushi you get at the beginning were just ok, but the several courses of Teppanyaki style food (food cooked on a hot iron griddle) was very hot, fresh, and tasty. You get rice with chicken, then beef, then vegetables, then fish. It's a ton of food and all of it was good.
-- the buns, rolls, loaves of bread, pastries, sweet buns, cakes: were all amazing! They have the SOFTEST, FRESHEST breads I've EVER had, and I've been to at least 10 all-inclusive resorts in 6 different countries!!! The dessert cakes were quite good too. In Mexico, all their cakes and desserts always turn out weird/wrong. Panama/Royal Decameron has gotten this RIGHT. The cakes are light, fluffy, fresh, never dry and never mushy.
-- the Atlantis breakfast buffet sometimes had these flaky wheat pastries filled with spicy beef, or corn-flour pastries filled with beef - those were quite tasty!
-- Even though an item might look weird/gross (because you don't know what it is), and doesn't have an English explanation, slop a small amount onto your plate anyway. I tried pretty much everything, (and I admit I didn't like a lot of it), BUT, there were MANY things I DID like, and was glad I tried them, and went back for more. Keep an open mind and remember this is Central America and not North America.
-- On the breakfast buffet, it's worth waiting in line to have eggs made to order, and to get bacon when it's offered. One suggestion I made to this resort on their feedback form was to offer bacon directly, in the steam table buffet, for people to grab without having to cue. Resorts in Mexico offer bacon that way, and I didn't like having to line up to get it in Panama.
-- On the dinner buffet, it's worth waiting in line to get stir-fries and paella from the stations that are separate from the steam table buffet. They are hot and fresh and taste great. I had a really nice piece of vegetable lasagna on the "Italian" theme night at Atlantis.
-- The buffet cold tables have deli meats, sliced cheeses, yogurt, fresh fruits - if you can't find anything you like in the hot steam table, these are great back-ups. Load up on the lovely fresh buns/bread/pastries and cold deli meats and cheeses. YUM.

ROOMS: Our room (1231) came with the king bed we asked for. It was large enough and clean. We always had fresh shower towels and one hand towel. They don't have wash-cloths, we knew this and brought our own. There are a few English channels on the TV. There is no in-room mini-fridge, which doesn't really matter to me, but I heard other guests complaining they like having one. We requested a higher floor (did not want ground floor) and building 11 or 12 (thanks to other Trip Advisor people who suggested those buildings!) and we were so pleased to get a room on the 2nd floor, building 12. This is an excellent location, in my opinion. Close to the Panamai, Cayuco, Atlantis restaurants, close to the amphitheatre and games room, and close to the pools and beach and bars.
The in-room safe is just over $3/day. We have stayed in many (at least 10) all inclusive resorts before and sometimes the safe is included in the room rate, and many times it is not. We've had to pay for a safe before. We don't love it, but we didn't complain about it. But other guests were complaining that the safe should be included...
The wifi is $42 for 72 hours. That is a ridiculous price. We had to pay it because we are self-employed and had to "work" a little while away... this resort should offer FREE wifi in the lobby, like other resorts offer. It should only be a cost if you want to access it from anywhere around the resort. This was definitely a cash grab.
The resort gives you a room key (literally a key, not a pass card) on a string. Each couple only gets ONE key. We like to be able to go do different things and go to the room separately throughout the day, so we requested a 2nd key. You must pay $15 deposit for it, which they give you back when you return the key. We paid cash and they gave us the cash back on check-out, so no worries there. Just ask for one.

BARS:
The drinks were quite good. The beer they serve is ok and definitely drinkable! :-)
The mixed drinks were pretty good too. They have a sign board that offers some suggestions for mixed drinks and fruity ones, and smoothie ones and frozen ones. I tried a lot of them, and they are very tasty! Some of them have a little too much booze in them, which can get you into trouble if you drink them too fast and they taste like punch. Just pace yourself and don't drink too many too fast!
I found the booze to be inconsistent... Not sure why - not sure if it was the bartender, controlling how much they poured in, or if it depended on which bottles they grabbed, (maybe some were watered down, and some were not?) because I found some drinks to be really strong and boozey, some were normal, and some were weak.
Most of the bars had reasonable line-ups that moved fairly quickly - not too much waiting.
My favourite drinks were: The Decameron Royal and the Farallon.

SERVICE:
The service was yet another inconsistency about this resort. SOME of the staff (servers) in the buffets were running around like crazy, fetching drinks, coffee, dirty plates, etc and doing it with a smile; and yet others were standing around like they didn't feel like working, or did it in a grumpy, gruff way.
The staff that works behind the food stations (the bacon & egg ladies) were pretty grumpy and unfriendly.
The bar staff seemed to be most friendly, offering smiles and laughs along with the drinks.
The towel hut girls and guys and activities guys were quite friendly.

When I was at this resort 11 years ago, hardly anyone knew English and it was a real challenge to communicate since I don't speak Spanish. This time, I found almost all staff spoke a reasonable about of English, and it was much easier to communicate. I don't think they are super motivated to learn English, since a LOT of their clientele is from Colombia, Argentina, Costa Rica, etc. Anyway, I found it nice that they knew more English. What I didn't like, was the fact that a few staff members snickered at me, when I tried to speak Spanish. In Mexico, whenever I make an effort to speak Spanish, they smile and seem happy that I'm "trying" to speak their language. But in Panama, it was like they looked down on us Canadians and thought our efforts were juvenile. :-(
I realize these people are "working" and work sucks, and it probably really sucks to be working where you're surrounded by people who are drunk and on vacation. BUT, every other all inclusive resort I've been to has staff that are friendly, smiling, eager to help. This resort does not give that impression.

All in all, for what we paid, we really enjoyed the resort and got good value. The food and service could use some improvement, but in general this is a nice place to stay.

14  Thank JennuineP
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have been to the Royal Decameron in Panama twice and will be returning Feb 17th for two weeks.

The staff are very friendly and most will go out of there way to help make your stay enjoyable.

The food at the buffet is average, if you don't like something don't eat it and go for something different. Take the time and book the a-la-cart restaurants. There are many restaurants and food types to choose from.

Does anyone have any updates on the new airport. Will flights be going direct from Toronto any time soon?

Room Tip: Pack light, it is HOT in PANAMA!!!! Enjoy your vacation.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We spent 14 nights at the Royal Decameron, Panama last year for Christmas/New Years (2012/2013). We got VERY nervous about going because of all the negative reviews we read online after booking this trip. Upon arrival, our expectations were beyond surpassed. We LOVED our stay there. No, it's not a 5 star resort - so if that's what you're expecting, fork up the money and stay elsewhere. But its a very good 3 to 4 star resort and we would definitely go back to stay again.

PROS
- Massive resort, but very well set up. Multiple bars, hotel lobbies, travel agents, dining options, etc. We rarely had to wait for anything because there's loads of people to serve you.
- Very friendly service. For a resort in Central America, we were surprised at how many people working there spoke very good English. In fact, we met the manager of the resort and he said that he puts every single employee through at least a basic English lesson to help service the English speakers. The night time entertainment was mostly in Spanish, but definitely enough English translation was offered to follow along. If you happened to find someone who didn't speak English (like the hairdresser I used at their spa), they happily found someone to translate what you needed.
- Endless beach, really goes on forever
- Very good swimming (the Pacific side is NOT CLEAR like the Atlantic. Don't expect to snorkel or see the bottom. If you don't expect clear waters, you will enjoy swimming there.)
- Excellent dining (a la cartes were touch-and-go, but the buffet was also excellent. The higher end a-la-cartes on the beach were wonderful dining experiences too)
- Lots of selection and variety of food, always fresh fruit & vegetables at the buffet restaurants
- THE CLEANEST SWIMMING POOLS WE HAVE EVER SEEN ANYWHERE WE'VE TRAVELED TO. Seriously - absolutely outstanding pool maintenance.
- Rooms were spacious and lots of paths or stairs to get around the resort quickly. We were one of the furthest rooms from the beach, but you could still get to the water in 5 - 8 minutes. (for those who complained about the stairs.. there are also VERY EASY WALKING RAMPS on the other end of the resort if you don't like steps)
- Very good grounds maintenance
- No garbage, anywhere
- Ample supply of towels, beach chairs, huts, etc.
- Prompt service if you needed anything brought to your room or request a repair
- Lots of water activities (some have extra charge, but lots of variety)
- For a resort that has lots of local merchants wandering the beach, we never found them to be in-your-face or pushy. If you said you weren't interested in their product, they politely kept going.
- Felt very safe, even though it's a huge resort
- Nice on site marketplaces set up, and a 10 minute walk to a local market just outside resort
- Never felt crowded because there are SO MANY of everything (pools, cafes, etc, etc).

CONS
- Some extra charges we weren't expecting included: paying for a safe (though it's really only a few dollars per day, and definitely worth it), renting a fridge for the room, VERY high cost for internet/wifi, cost if you want a 2nd key for your room.
- Some rooms are noisy, if near the road. Walls are thin, so you also hear your neighbours.
- We were very dissapointed with their "snack service" at restaurants. If you want food outside of regular meal hours, you're best to take an extra plate at breakfast to keep in your room for later.
- The one side of the resort (near the nightclub) can be very busy due to allowing locals access to those pools. We just avoided this area all together and we were happy.
- A couple of the a-la-cartes (Thai and Seafood restaurants) were really not good at all. We tried them each once, and then just ate elsewhere.
- It's a bit of a process to try to reserve at the a-la-cartes. Not a big hassle, but you have to wait in line at the booking desk and it's first come first serve for the reservation book.

Other comments..
We went a year ago and we'd definitely return. Again, not a 5 star accommodation, but very good price and EXTREMELY good value for your money. We were overall EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with the resort and we had a great stay.

We were lucky enough to be there over New Years. What an AMAZING PARTY they throw for New Years' eve!! They spent days setting up for it and really don't hold back at all: live band, shows, dancing, fireworks, everything! We'd love to return again next New Years.

ADVICE FOR TRAVELERS:
- bring your own alarm clock
- pack some good drinking cups (reusable ones with straws). The cups at their bars are quite tiny and the environment will thank you if you bring your own
- have your booking voucher handy for check in. Like anything you got as a receipt from booking, just keep it all in an envelope so its handy. We needed a couple different papers/receipts we got from the travel agent
- pack around a lot of tip money. like 1s and 2s, nothing fancy. but they work for VERY LITTLE MONEY in Panama. it's nice to reward for good service.
- buffet: for some reason, the service was a hundred times better at ATLANTIS than PACIFICO. Maybe it was just the staff at the time
- the two a-la-cartes on the beach are wonderful. Try to get in there.
- don't be overwhelmed or turned off by the confusion at time of check in. It was a bit overwhelming arriving at night and having a dozen people try to sort out all the tourists. There's a lot of staff there to facilitate check in, just go with the flow and you'll be fine.
- go to your orientation offered by the travel company the next morning. IT IS WORTH IT.
- for small shopping, the beach vendors are a bit pricey but the market they set up in the centre of the resort some evenings is very comparatively priced with "the outside world". No one will tell you this - but you can walk just north of the resort and get to a small local market in less than 10 minutes. Ask around, because it's definitely worth it to go there for gift items instead.
- if you want to eat good seafood, go offsite into the local town
- pack lots of water on your excursions (ask your house keepers for extra bottled water the day before). we had one excursion that didn't pack a cooler of water on the bus, so no one had anything till we arrived at the destination.
- be careful with your beach towels, towel cards, safe key, room key - there are pretty hefty fees associated with getting a replacement of any of those items.
- Panama is very american. Nearly everyone speaks Spanish, so it's hard to get around off site if you don't. But they power, water, sewage is all on American systems. So, you don't need power converters if coming from Canada or USA and their tap water is COMPLETELY SAFE TO DRINK if you're on city water (ie: not in the small towns). In fact, Panama has some of the cleanest tap water in the world.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to lobby 1 or 2, which is furthest away from the Discotheque and busy side o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank smacelli
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We just returned from the Royal Decameron in Panama after 20 hrs of travel from the time you check out, ride the bus for 2 hrs to the airport, wait time at airport, delays in take off (another 2hrs), stop in Costa Rica (more waiting to unload and load people and luggage), then from Liberia, Costa Rica the 7+ hr flight back to Alberta!! Would not do this trip again for this reason alone! We were delayed on the way down by well over 3 hrs and same coming back! Has nothing to do with the Decameron, but getting there and back home was a 'royal' pain!! Something to think about if you are only going for the week. You automatically lose two days due to the long travel. There are closer places for Canadians to get the sun and sand. It was very hot, around 35 degrees the 5 days we stayed there, sunny daily and humid. A big contrast to the -30 degrees we left at home! (Upon arrival, we stayed the first two days in Panama City at the Hard Rock Hotel (fantastic, super clean, new and modern), and over the New Year's celebrations which were spectacular!)

We noticed the same as other travellers have already mentioned about the Decameron size of property, the 60+stairs to go up and down between the lobby and beach, buffet or pools. Walking on this gorgeous resort was not an issue for us as we are very fit and active. However, many times we saw other guests struggling up or down the stairs and being out of breath along the pathways. There are shuttles available to pick up and return guests to their rooms. The grounds are well maintained and offer many shady areas. We loved to watch the iguanas and lizards going up trees and on the grassy hills. There were many different birds that sang beautifully but competed with the music from the pool areas. The peacocks show off their dance and feathers on the lawns daily.

At low tide the beach was awesome to walk on and pick up shells, sea glass or other treasures that the tides brought in. Great exercise and fun to explore the long beach in both directions from the resort property. One of the gutted huge houses along the beach front is said to have been General Noriega's. It is in ruins now but interesting to see what it could have been like when he lived there. The horses go through it on their path to the trails. It has graffiti on the walls (most of hatred for him), garbage left on the grounds and lots of over-grown vegetation. Still interesting to see and just a short walk to the left of the resort. To the right, there are other buildings and resorts and the Canadian owned Woody's bar that others have mentioned. The food looked great! However, the area around it was not maintained well and you have to pass through a bunch of garbage on the sand to get to it. But it was nice to watch the sun setting over there.

We took out the kayaks and went paddling on the ocean. These were included you just have to sign a waiver and get the life jackets at the beach rental house. For a fee you can rent jet skis which looked like fun but we ran out of time. We also used the gym and kept up with our training. It helped to wear off some of the extra calories we added in the bar and buffets!

Even though our trip was over the holidays and the resort was full especially on the weekend when many local Panamanian's come with large family groups to enjoy the resort, the buffets had tons of food and many choices. We also booked and ate at a couple of the specialty restaurants that were a la carte. The food was good and the service too. A little Spanish from the guests goes a long way in striking up a smile and a conversation with the staff! We found everyone very friendly and polite.

The only person who was rude, we noticed on more than one occasion and to several different people was the short, (with long, dark hair) French Nolitour Representative in lobby 1. Her answer to most questions was 'it's in the binder at the desk, read the binder'. She was not helpful ever including right up to the departure. Many bags were not loaded on the same bus as the guests who owned them. There were four big buses of people going to the airport at the same time. This created a problem later at check in at the airport. If you go, make sure you and all your bags are on the same bus and watch them actually be loaded into your bus! A simple procedure with tags in the initial guest envelopes would solve this issue. It has been written about before but after seeing the fiasco with this and the check in process we now understand what others wrote about.

Guests were tired and frustrated waiting in long line ups at the reception desk to check in or check out daily with various buses arriving at the same time, creating chaos and confusion because the staff did not speak English. The Nolitour rep did speak English but never came to translate or explain what was going on to those who did not speak Spanish. She rudely and condescendingly spoke to guests and told people they 'should have done this or that instead'. When people do not know or understand the language how can they know what should be done, let alone the questions to ask? She is a very poor representative of Nolitour and should not be working with people.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach front are great and close to the ocean, pools and buffets. We found our main flo...
12  Thank seetheworld2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort - An All Inclusive Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
Hostal Acuarela
Hostal Acuarela
#1 of 1 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!