I was looking to go somewhere different on vacation after being to the usual suspects (DR, and Cuba); the bang for your buck, and location lead me to Panama.
The trip from the airport to the resort takes about 2 hours (if you encounter downtown traffic like we did). I honestly didn't mind the drive on the way there, as you get to see downtown Panama, the canal, and the country side on your way to the resort. Tip: wear shorts or a dress- or have a change of clothes in your carry on. When you arrive at the resort there is a big welcoming from the staff, and they give you a festive beverage. You can then go off and get a bite to eat while they bring your luggage to your room. It is really hot, and if you are in jeans you will be sweating and uncomfortable at the start of your vacation. Some people had to wait a few hours to get their luggage - and they were not dressed for the hot weather.
The resort is HUGE and very modern- there are 3 main lobbies. It is on a hillside, and our room was on the 3rd floor (top) of one of the buildings. There are no elevators. You will definately get your exercise walking around and using the stairs in this resort! If you have limited mobility, you should request a ground floor room. If you are on the ground level look out for the peacocks that may be on your balcony on the morning! The rooms themselves are very clean, and very modern. The TV in our room was a flat screen model, and it had a USB insert that we could play some movies we brought when we had enough of the entertainment in the evenings. Our room was the "garden view" room, and was the cheapest package available. We had a very private balcony that overlooked the ocean, and trees with lots of iguanas. I was actually suprised at how nice it was. Outside of our room were mango and banana trees!
There is a lot of security at this resort. It was comforting to see security guards outside each building and doing the rounds throughout the night walking around.
There are many different restaurants (about 10) that you need to book in advance. They are quite organized with this, and you don't have to get up early to get a spot. They give you a little electronic receipt with your time and day when you make your booking. On our last night we ate at one of the restaurants on the beach, and we had the best salmon and chicken of the trip. Too bad we waited until the last night to try that place out. They do eat quite late (up to a 10pm start) in this part of the world, so I opted for the earliest time slot.
There is more than one buffet to chose from and they have different themes each night, so you can decide which one you want to eat at. The food is fresh and there is a lot to chose from. The many bars are very well stocked, and you can get pretty much anything you want. I liked to get a Spanish coffee after dinner.
The resort can get quite crowded in ALL of the many pools on the weekends. There are a lot of locals that stay at the resorts over the weekends. I prefer the beach, so I never found that to be a problem, but I wanted to point this out. The beach front is huge. Sometimes it was difficult to find a chair after lunch time- but we eventually found one even it we had to walk a bit further down the beach, or spend the afternoon at the infinity pool by our room.
WIFI tip- if you walk down the beach about 5 minutes you can pick up a few free signals. The walk down the beach is really nice as well. Not sure why more people don't do it.
The night shows are catered to the local Spanish crowd. If you don't speak Spanish, you won't get a lot out of them.
Construction is underway to build an airport in Farallon. When completed it wil be a 10 minutes drive to the resort. I plan to return to this resort again- it was a very good all inclusive resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama is an all inclusive hotel located about 2 kilometers of white sandy beach in Farallon, Panama. The hotel is located on the Pacific coast, close to many tourist attractions. Also, the city of Panama and the Tocumen International Airport (PTY) are located 120 miles away. The Royal Decameron in Panama hotel offers 852 guestrooms in low-rise buildings and 370 rooms Villas. Each room is equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV, closet, safe (local charge), direct dial telephone (with deposit cash at the reception) and a private bathroom with shower and hair dryer. Also have a minibar as part of the all inclusive plan and the villas are located on the golf course. Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama offers eight pools for adults three wading pools, three hot tubs, a casino, a golf course with 18 holes and a full spa. This beach hotel also offers a variety of organized activities on land and water for the whole family, and two convention centers for business travelers. The Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort has 11 bars, a nightclub and 10 restaurants ranging from traditional to the more exotic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf Hotel Farallon
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf And Casino
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort Panama
- Royal Decameron Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Panama
- Hotel Royal Decameron Beach
- Royal Decameron Costa Blanca Hotel
- Royal Decameron Beach Resort Golf & Casino
- Royal Decameron Resort Panama
- Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas Panama/Farallon