“All inclusive for people that just want to drink and have fun”

Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Panama City, Panama
“All inclusive for people that just want to drink and have fun”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went with a large group of people of alla ages. I havent been here since 2003 maybe, and my last experience wasnt the best. The room is ok, average, but the glasses were dirty. The food is ok, average too, salads, panamanian food, etc. What is different here is the entertainment, compared to the others hotels in the area, there is a lot to do, gym, club,show, casino, etc. But dont expect something luxurious, it is a cheap hotel after all. I would recommend it for 20 somethings that wanna drink and have a good time.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ireneonly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Omemee, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a good time, but there are a few problems. The food is not really good. The bar service is okay. We did appreciate Reynaldo, Kelvin, and Jose Luis and a few others. They were exceptionally friendly. We apologize for our disrespectful, attention-seeking, fellow Canadians. The rooms are fine. They are cleaned well daily and the ladies are very sweet. Now until September green fees are free at the Decameron golf course. You will have to pay for club rental, cart, balls and tees...approximately $70. The course was very good and no wait time between holes. The beach was never open (red flags) so don't expect to swim in the ocean, but the pools are awesome. There are lots throughout the resort. We didn't mind the stairs, but older people or people with disabilities or heart conditions would not do well here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julie H
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Lot of people very annoying and trying to sell you some action at the hotel; you have to wake up early to get a reservation for dinner and the people doesn't offer the best hours. Food is not quite good, and bartenders seem to be mad all the time. No many activities for entertainment.

Room Tip: choose another place
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Omar C

Travelers are raving about these Farallon hotels

Reviewed July 2, 2013

A group of friends and I stayed at the Decameron in March of this year. I did not think we got what we paid for. The rooms were poor without a mini fridge or any condiments in the room, definitely needs some updating. The food was also poor. Ate a lot of bread and cereal. Lots of pools and the landscaping of the resort was awesome. If you aren't looking for a lot of walking or have difficulty with stairs or hills pay the extra money and get beach front. Everything was a short walk if you were in a beach front room. We went parasailing and it was well worth the money (we bartered and got a deal). We also went on the ATV and waterfall tour (also bartered on that one). I'd highly recommend the tour unless you suffer from motion sickness. Took almost an hour to get to the ATVs and I almost vomited. The waterfall was amazing, some experience on a ATV would be a big help. We also went to the zoo in the town with the ATVs. The staff were great, although we didn't need them much. Bring snacks for in the room. The safe in the room was extra and so is the wifi. The rooms did have air conditioning which would be the only reason we spent any time the room. It was very hot the week we went. If you're going for drinks you may also be disappointed. Nothing delicious comes to mind aside from the lemonade slushies. I think for the price you can get a much nicer resort in Dominican, Cuba or Mexico - that's where I'll be headed to next. I don't think I'd recommend this resort to friends and I don't think I would go back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Janellemb
Atlanta
Reviewed June 28, 2013

First area of contention is that in order to get decent transportation to the resort it will cost you $26/PP each way. That is totally ridiculous, but they know they have you over a barrel
because the taxis are very high and the local shuttles might or might not have air.

The resort is very pretty on the grounds. However, this resort is not for you if you have any physical or mobility issues. The resort is huge with lots of hills and stairs and you can't get around without using them. There are zero elevators. We were in building 10. This required going from the lobby down several steps (I think I counted 65) and then we had to walk up 3 floors to our room, then back down and up again to eat at the buffet or specialty restaurants and reverse back to your room. This is all day long. We are only in our late 50's, but we were exhausted and our knees bothered us by the end of the trip. And, if you want to get a soft drink, etc. you have to go to one of the beach bars so that entails at least going up and down to your room. There are no refrigerators in the room unless you rent them, so purchasing drinks to keep in your room is not possible. There are also no ice vending machines if you did. I ended up getting a little dehydrated because of it. I was too exhausted to make the constant trip. And then when I would get to the bar to order my soft drink people would just walk up and order like I was invisible. Do not attempt this resort if you have someone in a wheelchair or walker. There is no way to get around. The staff waits on you when it is convenient. I would go to a counter to ask a question and they would be on their cell phones. No acknowledgement. Just wait on me to finish, OK?

Internet was the biggest rip off. Once you have the hot spot in your location is it really necessary to charge $3 for ten minutes, $16/day or $42/3 days? Seriously? That's how they are making their money. We purchased the 3 day option, but you cannot be on it at the same time. Fee per person, not per room.

The towels were horrible. Cheap and small. 3 "bath" towels per room. I went to the front desk and asked if we could get some washcloths and they looked at me like I was crazy. They didn't have any at all. The soap in the room was like my mechanic father use to use. I think it was called Lava. The room was clean, but the furniture was in need of update. When I go to a "resort" I expect something a little more in the way of room amenities than a Motel 6.

Most of the people vacationing there were from the area. I would say 90%. So the shows and other things were mostly in Spanish. It was workable but when everyone was laughing at something the emcee said we were clueless. And we were warned about how rude the people can be and how they think they don't have to wait on anything or stand in line like everyone else. They didn't disappoint.

Food was very good. But you must understand that their way of cooking, etc. is different than yours if you are not from the region. You must have a sense of adventure or stick to the salad bar portion. My one complaint was with the Panamai buffet. They would let the food run out and when they finally replenished it it was like a frenzy. Definitely try the specialty restaurants.

One surprising thing was that they closed the pool at 5 p.m. There were many, many children there. They wanted to continue to play and I can understand that. The evening shows were fantastic. They have an awesome set of dancers and they strive to please. I would have to say that was the best part of the resort.

Would we return? Probably not because of the access limitations. If that were remedied and they became more realistic on all of the add on charges, perhaps.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gypsynhobbes
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family of four adults booked an week long all-inclusive vacation here. It was awesome. The shows at night were really entertaining and funny, the dancing and costumes were awesome, too. The drinks were flippin' YUMMMYY, but each bartender makes it differently, so yeah. The food's definitely quite good, especially the scrambled eggs at breakfast. The overall resort was soo nice, honestly. And everyone was in a good mood and drunk and having a good time! The club at night was good fun, definitely a good night life there. The restaurants were supremo and and workers are soooo nice! :) You should defs go on a tour with Panama Roadrunner's while you're there, too! Some people really complain about this place having too many hills or stairs, but honestly, it's one hill from the beach to the rooms and it's probably about three stories worth of stairs. It's really not that much at all, especially if you have some Panamanian rum in you. ;)

Room Tip: Bring a massive travel mug and get them to fill it up with Sambuca and then sneak off to the beach w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BananaSeads
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Panama for a much needed week-long vacation. Panama is a lot more advanced than most of the other Caribbean islands we've been to. There is a ton of construction going on all over the city to better prepare for more tourists. On the resort itself, most of the resort is in functioning condition. However this resort is not for you of you have any physical or mobility issues. The resort is huge with lots of hills and stairs. There is taxi service available, but scarce and dont run often enough due to lack of cars.

The running water on the resort was well purified and the food was decent. Neither of us got sick which is rare considering we both have sensitive stomachs. The flavor of the food was kind of bland at the buffet, but the a la carts were well prepared and had great presentation. We only ate at the buffet the first night, and vowed not to go back again for the rest of the trip. Breakfast on the other hand was super yummy, especially the egg station, and the croissants were amazing and always fresh.

The rooms themselves are getting closer and closer to needing a major reno. The original room we were given (building 20) was small, on the ground floor of a building on the farther edge of the resort close to lobby 1, with absolutely no view of anything except the other building in front. Even the showerhead was broken in the very tiny bathrooms! We had to be persistent and argued for a room change which they did on our second day. The guest relations manager Carolina was very helpful and gave us a more modern, larger room located in the middle of the resort by lobby 2 (building 41). On further investigation, we found there really was no great benefit except being on the main walkway to upgrade to oceanfront rooms. The basic rooms still have partial oceanviews and the upgraded ones would probably have you placed behind one of the many enormous trees on the resort.

The people (workers/locals) were pleasant, but never exceeded my expectations. I almost felt like they thought they didn't have to go above and beyond to receive any tips. Almost like the attitude of entitlement which was not impressive. Even our simple requests, like extra towels or bottled water to be left in the room were not done, even when we asked our chambermaid to do so while we were there.There were a lot of locals staying on the resort as well maybe because of low season (rainy season). There may have been 25% of Americans or Canadians, the rest were from Panama. Which was fine, until you go to the disco, which almost exclusively will play latin music all night.

The beach was nothing like Varedero or Punta Cana. The sand is grainy, waters are a little rough and we were not able to snorkel due to the lack of visibility. We were recommended that the next time we come back, to stay closer to the other coast (Caribbean Sea) instead of the Pacific Ocean coast line.

We did the Embera Indigenous Reserve excursion which was really cool to see. The rainforest and boat ride was very relaxing, and the natives were welcoming. I would advise others not to spend too much money on the local crafts they claimed to make. We bought a flute we thought was made by them, and later found the exact same one in a tourist store close to the resort for less than half the price. We also did the city tour and canal on a seperate excursion which definitely exceeded my expectations. The lunch we had that day was hands down the best meal I had in Panama. Lunch was at La Vitrola in Capital Plaza hotel. Curried chicken and veggies never tasted so gourmet :-)

The roads were very well maintained so renting a car and doing some exploration ourselves was not a problem and we always felt safe. We drove into Penenome town for local shopping and stopped at a major mall (Westland), which is much like malls at home with decent sales. Tip: save some money by reserving your car online prior to leaving home. And when you get there, find the locations of some of the tour spots and go there yourselves, you save a bundle in resort overhead fees. We drove to the falls and fresh water pool ourselves with another couple and absolutely loved it. The hot spring and mud bath was worth the drive. We got a little lost, but stumbled upon the best Italian thin crust pizza and alfredo with chicken pasta at Ristorante Pizzeria Vieni Qua in Libertador :-P

Overall the value for our trip was more like a 3.5/5. But we definitely would go back in a couple years, maybe after some other resorts may be finished. And would definitely suggest doing the city stay at the Hard Rock combined with the resort to get a well rounded trip, especially for young groups.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank DancerD66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort
Hato Viejo Boutique Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!