Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The rooms are basic, but clean. Staff is somewhat unhelpful but I think it had more to do with the language barrier and simply differences in culture. Food was what you might expect from an all inclusive, nothing great but overall decent. I did not go her for the cuisine, I went for the sun and to relax; to that end this place was everything I expected. Drinks are great, including the tap beer. Throw a few bucks at the bartender and you will never be thirsty! As other posters have stated, there are a lot of stairs and/or very steep walk ways. The beach was very clean, plenty of chairs although surf is heavy and I did not swim in the ocean. BUT, the pools are excellent, again, plenty of chairs. I enjoyed the ale carte steak house and did not have any trouble getting reservations. There is a National rent a car on site. We rented a car, $60 a day with insurance, on 2 different days. Drove to Colon on one day and toured the country. Went to the canal on the second day and also toured downtown Panama City. CAUTION! Folks are crazy drivers. Also, it took us 4 hours to get from the resort to Panama City airport on our departure day (Monday) and we left at 5:00 a.m. I recommend booking a late flight, mine was at 9:55. Overall, I plan to return and recommend this place if you are looking for a reasonably priced all inclusive in Panama...

Room Tip: There are three tiers, get the tier closest to the beach......unless you like climbing stairs. I st...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This resort is very very large, there is a lot of walking but it keeps you fit. The hills and stairs can be hard on older people especially in the heat. The resort has a lot of positives and a few negatives. The resort was very clean, lots of seating near the pools and ocean, lots of pool and restaurant options. Buffet wasn't the best but the fruit was amazing. The a la carte restaurants were very good and never full. The rooms are clean, and we were able to drink the water along with brush our teeth with the tap water. The downfalls we found is that they have no clock available in any rooms so if you have an excursion or a dinner you could be late. There was no pressure or hot water in the shower, they drive their vans/trucks on the pathways so you smell the exhaust every time they drive past. April isn't a busy month but we were told the pools were open until midnight but they closed at 5/6pm. Most excursions take 2 hours to get to but the view is very nice. The price for each excursion is quite accurate for the length you are gone for. The flight is small, and the drive after the flight isn't the best, however they are putting in a new airport 5 mins away within the next year.
Overall it was worth going.

Room Tip: not all ocean view rooms are ocean view....I paid extra and had a huge tree in the way
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been reading reviews by others that just slam the Decameron resort. You people need to get bent. We just spent 7 days there and found it to be a wonderful place to spend our vacation. The food was great, not the slop others have been saying. The rooms were not super modern, however they were very clean and well maintained. The staff, altho they lacked the english skills to communicate, were very friendly and always happy. The bus trip to the resort was a tad uncomfortable, however that was more due to the poor roads we were travelling on and not the fault of Decameron. The pools and out door facilitys were very well maintained and clean. Yes there were some hills and stairs but what do you want? Everything brought to you on a silver platter? We found our way around and in no time hade the place mapped and were able to navigate quite easily. The a la cartes were very well presented and the food was quite wonderful. I will agree with others on the steaks tho. It was very tough and chewy. Anyone that we talked to when we were there also had a good experience there. The people that utterly slammed this place are either very rich and spoiled, or were expecting the royal palace and were dissapointed when they found it was just a very nice place. I highly reccomend this as a travel destination and would have no problem booking there again.

Room Tip: Third floor ocean view rooms were excellent.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Most reviews are pretty accurate describing this resort - huge! We were beachfront in block 12 so we were in the middle away from the theatre and nightclub. Blocks 30, 13,12 and 11 are all safe bets on the beachfront.
Some notes on the hotel

1. Beach chairs and canopies were plentiful at this resort, you did not have to run out at 7:00am to reserve them like Cuba and DR

2. For English speaking, you have to select people who are higher up the chain with exposure to tourists to communicate and be patient. Don't get frustrated because some people don't understand you

3. Use the buffets for breakfast and quick bites only , strongly recommend you book the dining rooms. Now here is a good thing about this hotel, you have 30 minutes to show up for your reservation then it is cancelled, so that means you can wait on standby for a dining room if it was full

4. If you enjoy walking, this is a great resort. If you are unable to, shuttles are available for transport.

5. AC went down and was fixed within the hour. Safe malfunctioned and techie was sent in 30 minutes

6. Expect about 4-5 hours/day in travel for any excursion on the bus

7. To add some variety, ask for the 2 day Hard Rock Hotel option, well worth it. That was a 5 star class everything from room to restaurant

8. Bring a loofah if you're used to a face cloth, because they don't supply any.

9. They had a lot of Latin American comedy skits which seem to amuse the latin american crowd more than the western crowd

Overall average but still well worth the value, had a great time at this resort. No complaints about this place, service was good.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend you pay tehe $70 upgrade/person for beachfront rooms, was well worth the price
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank drfeelgood99
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The food was horrid and smelled disgusting. The al carte restaurants were worse than bad. Don't order steak. It was like eating bubble gum. Rooms were spartan We paid $300 extra and moved from building 21 to be upgraded to an Ocean View room in building 31. The is no Kleenex or wash cloths in rooms. If you want to watch Big Bang Theory, Seinfeld, and Two and 1/2 men your in luck 24 hours per day. They need to have some descent satellite TV. Internet at $15 a day is a ripoff. Ditto $3.00 for safe.
Lots of hills and steps to climb. If you are a mountain goat you will enjoy the exercise.
Staff are obviously not happy and not terribly friendly. Management needs training hospitality.
2.5 hour drive from airport and I got motion sickness.
My wife and I left 4 days early and only stayed 10 days. We couldn't stand it any longer. We paid extra to go to the City and stay at the Intercontinental Miramar They had great rooms service and terrific staff.
Pools and weather were nice Go up the beach to Woody's bar and watch hockey It is owned by Canucks We there March 11 to 21 2013

Room Tip: Go some else
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike L
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at the Royal Decameron April 1-6. The weather was fantastic!!! Had a good room in the center of everything Block 31, and the views were awesome. Our room was clean but nothing fancy but we were never in the room much anyways. We never had any problems with service, people were always friendly, just shy. Which I guess some people can mistake for rudeness.We did find our Nolitour rep a little rude, not wanting to help much at all, just telling us "all the information is in the book". The resort itself is beautiful, the grounds kept up nicely, the pools nice and we loved that we could take long walks on the beach. They did lack a bit on the food quality but nothing that would have ruined our holiday. We learned to expect that we may have to reuse our towels from the previous day and that they do not have facecloths (I brought my own) We always bring our own toiletries so that was not an issue for us.The excursion to Anton Valley was very nice and our tour guide was awesome. In our experience, we were friendly and appreciative of everything and we never experienced a problem. We did tip, but I believe it is how we treated others in how we received good friendly service back. we witnessed firsthand how rude people can be of others and how expectant they can be and found it at times quite embarrassing. Treat others as you would like to be treated..thats what we go by and we have never experienced a problem yet!! It is a beautiful country and a nice resort, definitly a must see!!!

Room Tip: We paid the extra for the beachfront room and had room 3166...central to everything. Excellent view...
2  Thank happytraveller154990
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I enjoyed my 7 night all inclusive stay at the Royal Decameron Resort in Panama, I was there March 25 to April 1/13. There are a few things that might help people considering booking....
First the flight:

It is a 5 and a half hour flight from Toronto aboard CanJet (6.30am flight meant I had to be at the airport by 4 - the only way to reserve your seat ahead of time is to pay - I didn't want to do that and I still managed to get a window seat near the front of the plane - you can't check in on line and they close check in one hour before departure.

They serve a small glass of champagne on board and also a free hot meal (including a vegetarian option, yay) with one small glass of wine - then I think they came round once with juice/coffee - I tried to sleep a bit so maybe they came round with water while I had my eyes closed but I felt very thirsty getting off the plane - fortunately they gave out bottles of water for the 2 hour bus ride to the resort and the bus stopped at a small restaurant so people could go to the washroom, get a cold drink and have a smoke (ick) - they are building a new airport just 10 mins away from the resort so that long trip will be history next year but it will likely be noisy at the resort. The rep said they are going to put in new windows, so maybe the price will go up?

When we arrived, (at 2.30) my room wasn't ready so they said to come back at 3.30 - the buffets usually close at 2.30 but they were keeping one open for us - unfortunately I went to the wrong one and was not impressed with the luke warm leftovers but a cold beer went down nicely.

Finally checked into my room - I had paid for beachfront and was very happy - at first - I didn't want to pay $16 something a day for wifi but I paid the $3 something a day for the in room safe (only for 6 out of the 7 nights - you have it till 5pm on the last night so I just carried my passport etc for that last evening). You can buy cards in the lobby gift shop to use their computer terminals (one or two in each lobby) - $3 for 15 mins and it is quite slow - I had thought there were local coffee shops etc near the hotel for wifi but the resort is far from anything - there is a public phone in a small shack store down the road and you can buy phone cards there for long distance calls - I didn't but the rep said it was much cheaper than calling from the hotel if you need to call.

Room was ok, bedding a bit dated etc but that's ok, view was fab - ocean right there - I went to bed early as I had had hardly any sleep (woke several times and had to get up at 2.45am for the flight) - and then they started the show - my room was the closest to the stage - every night they seem to do musical chairs for the kids, playing Gangnam Style - so whenever I hear "Hey.....Sexy lady!" in future it will remind me of Panama - then the adult singing and too-close-to-the-mic MC started - I called reception and they said it would go on until about 11.15pm - I asked to change rooms and they said I would have to check tomorrow - as I was desperate for sleep I actually put my earphones in and played my waves app on my ipod! the irony!

I went to reception after breakfast and they told me to come back at 3 - so I went at 2.45 and he said he would send the bellboy to my room with a key for the new room in 15 minutes - I waited nearly 2 hours in the end - after nearly one hour I went back to reception and they said to go back to the room as the bellboy had the key - I would have preferred to take my own suitcase (although there are quite a few stairs and I was on the third floor) rather than wait around wasting my day - then after waiting again I phoned - eventually he came and took my suitcase to the new room - which was warm despite the AC being on - the mattress was old but the room was quiet - I assumed they had just put the AC on so I didn't complain...I was more worried when I saw that a door connected me to the room next door - in Riviera Maya that had been a big problem as you can hear EVERYTHING a couple says and does - (and it's worse when they come back to the room at 4.45am) - so before I unpacked I went back to lobby 1 (there are 3) to ask about changing rooms again - he was offhand with me and said I would have to check back the next day - so I went to the lobby 2 as my new room was now closer to that one anyway - at first he was friendly and said yes - then he got on the phone (to lobby 1) and when he hung up his attitude changed and he told me "we don't have another room, the hotel is full, you will have to check back tomorrow and he already told you that" - I said "I know he did but I didn't believe him - I just want to enjoy my vacation after coming so far and paying a lot of money including an upgrade to beachfront" - still he wouldn't budge and as it turned out I really didn't hear the couple next door until they had a 4.30am wake up call on the last day....so I didn't go back to try to change rooms.

My new room number was 3017 and it is the perfect location (just have to put up with the mattress). By evening though, the room hadn't cooled down, so I had to call reception and ask if they could fix the AC (it said 30 degrees on the unit, I took a picture). After about an hour I called back to say if the guy was coming I would stay up but if he wasn't, I was going to bed - as it turned out he needed to work on the unit outside and didn't need to come into the room- he got it working and immediately the room cooled down.

Anyway, food and drinks were mostly ok, coffee was really good - three buffets and about 7 a la cartes - I ate in the Thai restaurant but wasn't very impressed and there was only one vegetarian dish on the menu - I ate twice in the Mediterranean restaurant as it's right on the beach, near the beach massage (which was not great, especially at $60 plus tax - but not only that, you have to make an appointment and pay in advance - they wanted me to prepay the day before the treatment but settled on 4 hours in advance - in Riviera Maya you had to practically beat them off with a stick and you could bargain down to 45.00 or so - also they switched on loud music as she began the treatment, I tried to ask them to turn it off buy they just changed it - so much for hearing the waves, just feet away while I had a massage - should have brought the ipod again.....anyway - back to the Med restaurant - I had veggie pizza both times and both times the dough was a bit undercooked - you serve yourself from the small salad bar - one evening there was a good view of the beautiful full moon - and later at night they had a singer who also played guitar, another guitar player and a guy on hand drums - nice Spanish love songs and some in English too - perfect! I would take cappuccino back to my room from the bar and sit on the balcony to listen to them - on my last night I sat on the deck of the restaurant and watched them till the end of the night - wish I had done that every night.

I did two excursions - $100 for a day trip including lunch at a restaurant (which included a beer and they did a good veggie and noodle dish with garlic - yummy as the food was pretty bland at the hotel - and the restaurant had free wifi). That trip was a Panama City and Canal tour - we walked around old Panama and saw a huge vessel going through the canal.

The other trip was $50, 8am to 2pm and we went to a place they said was a sanctuary for sick animals but it turned out to be a small zoo - very clean but the pens were so small - three peacocks were in one small pen, one had his feathers up and when fully extended he couldn't turn around - so I wasn't a fan of that place - great if they are healing sick animals but it didn't appear that any were injured or sick. Then we went to a rain forest and walked through for about 45 minutes and ended with some shopping in some small stores but I found a handicraft market too and bought some oven gloves (single ones for 10.00 each and a small $5 zipped pouch for my tablet - the women in Panama do intricate sewing - panels of fabric that they sell just like that and also make into bags etc.

Just down the road from the hotel there are a few small sort of shack stores - I bought a small purse there for $10.00 (wishing I had bought a large $25.00 one at the market) - there is also a beach bar called Woody's which you can access from the beach or from the street - I walked through during the day but they just seemed to have mostly hotdogs so I didn't go back.

Overall, the resort staff were nice, the hotel is very clean, they are always working - it was strange that the lobby bars only open at 5 - there are two adult only infinity bars up the hill - at one of them, even though they serve drinks in plastic cups, you are not allowed to take a drink into the pool unless it is in a plastic cup with a lid (good idea to bring those from home) - but the other one is a swim up bar so I went there and was able to have a nice cold beer while standing in the pool.

The hotel has several peacocks - just roaming around freely - so I took several pictures - just delightful - I also saw some iguanas on the grass. But don't try lying on a sun lounger on the grass by the pool - I was lying reading and a life guard came over to say I could only use the lounger on the concrete right by the pool or actually in the pool (it was very shallow) - even though the loungers were already there - I didn't see the logic so I walked down the resort to another area where people were on loungers on the grass,found a shady spot under a tree and continued reading - no one bothered me - the pallapas on the beach get taken very early - but by the end of the day people leave so I finally got to lie under one and read for a few hours - it gets dark just after 6pm so I went back to the room to get ready for dinner.

Nice place to relax but as an earlier review mentioned, you wouldn't really know where you were - there was nothing that said "Panama" to me there. So doing the excursions was important to the overall trip - I prefer to do small day trips - can't just sit in the sun for a week but other people can, so to each his own.

On the day of departure - buses were leaving for the airport at 7.15 but they wanted luggage to be left at the bottom of each set of stairs at 5am - a buffet was opening early at 5.30 for breakfast and checkout was at 6 - I asked if I could take my own luggage at 6 and they said yes - I asked if I should leave my room number with anyone but reception and the rep said it wasn't necessary - so ofcourse about 5.45am when I had just got out the shower, a bellboy knocked on my door wondering where my suitcase was - so he took it for me - I went to lobby 2 at 6 to check out, thinking there would be huge crowds but I was the only one - it took about 30 seconds and a simple "it's fine" as he turned away - silly me I was waiting for "did you enjoy your stay? we hope to see you back one day" or something - oh well - seems the reception dudes don't have the same friendly attitude as the restaurant/buffet staff - the cleaning ladies were nice too and I left a tip every day. So I had a leisurely breakfast - I was assigned to bus 3 (of 3) but we arrived at the airport before bus 2, which got a flat tire en route, so I was able to get an aisle seat near the front - yay! Again a hot meal and a small glass of wine (you have to pay if you want a full size glass) - uneventful flight home. Overall, a nice vacation - I'm sill looking for a vacation where I can just wander to local restaurants when I get fed up with the all inclusive part.

If you are going, have fun!

Room Tip: Choose beachfront (not just ocean view) and ask for a room on the third floor (no noise from above a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank TorontoTraveller2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort - An All Inclusive Resort
The Buenaventura Golf & Beach Resort Panama, Autograph Collection
Hostal Acuarela
Hostal Acuarela
#1 of 1 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!