“AMAZING TIME!”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from here two days ago and it was one of the greatest resorts I've stayed at. The flight from Calgary was a little longer than seven hours and then once you get off you get onto a bus for over a two hour ride, that was a little exhausting. Other than that we had a great experience, all of the workers were very friendly and funny, some of them not knowing much English but their native language is Spanish so what do you expect people?? That being said there was still quite a bit of workers who understood English. the buffets weren't always the greatest but always found SOMETHING to eat there. The La Carte dinners were delicious, i recommend the catch of the day, Italian and fusion. We stayed in the villas and I would say it was the only downside to this vacation for us. You are able to call from your room for a shuttle because it is quite far (not really walking distance) and sometimes would wait for a shuttle for 25 minutes. Other than that everything was awesome, we will probably return when the new airport gets built!

Room Tip: Choose rooms by the adult only pool Get up early and put towels on chairs or you wont get one all d...
1  Thank 25Travelling

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm a little late writing this review but all I can say is this vacation was soo good! Lots a sun, sand, and good times! I would recommend this resort to anyone, unless you have trouble with walking because its big and you have to walk and there are quite a few stairs. I had read a bunch of reviews saying it wasn't good, or people were rude but a vacation is what you make of it and this one was awesome I have nothing bad to say about this resort or the staff at all! Don't let bad reviews steer you away from here it's awesome!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Kmarchuk
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hey so details about panama.......Royal Decameron is a nice place....8 pools but only 1 with a swim up bar in it and it's adults only. It is definitely a 2 hour bus ride from the airport but the bus was air conditioned. The rooms were nice (however we stayed in the villas)...but saw in many of the rooms. 3 lobby's that are on the street level and then you have to walk down stairs to the pools and the beach (except for the adult pool and 1 other). You can get a little shuttle to each of the lobby's if you don't want to walk. Lobby 1 has 56 stairs - Lobby 2 has 82 steps and Lobby 3 (adult pool) 46 steps. We enjoyed the restaurant at the bottom of the lobby 2 steps the best....the a la carts are nice - you have to book them as soon as you arrive as they fill up quickly. The sushi was good and the grill. E grounds were beautifully kept. don't forget to tip the groundskeepers and the pool guys...they don't get anything! The only place to get a burger, hot dog is at the restaurant at the bottom of lobby 1. Spanish is definitely their number one language...so if you don't know any i would advise that you take a Spanish English dictionary or get really creative with your sign language. The beach has tones of shelters and palm trees. Depending on the time of year you may have to get up early to reserve your spot. Now having said that....the sand was hot hot hot! There were jelly fish eggs in the water so we didn't go in....but many others did! So we hung around the pools. Down the beach their is a place called Woody's - Canadian beer. There are also a few vendors down the beach - I got some beautiful pearls cheap! Ask for Leo - he has a salt and pepper mullet! Hahaha. He will give you a good deal. There is a casino....open from 4-3am I think.... Super cold inside...but we won some money, slots, tables and a roulette table as well. US dollars is what you use there, and they do have their own currency - get rid of any of it as you can 't exchange it when you get home. I tipped the maids with it. Down the road from the casino is a place called Maria's... If you need to use a phone to call home...that is where you want to buy the card from. Cheap! Just remember to follow the dialling directions on the back of the card and to call Canada it's 001. Internet is available at the resort. I had my iPad with me, but I bought a card and used their computers in the lobby's. Didn't see any bugs... Local peacocks and iguana's on the property! $2US to hop on the local bus (that was a treat)

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jenn D
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I came here with 8 of my friends. Be aware: the food is lousy, the rooms were filthy, the staff was unaccommodating, and the golf pro shop was not polite. No one spoke English. When I go to a resort, my hope is that SOMEONE can help us, but that was not true in this case. I would not recommend. In fact, I would highly suggest to stay away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Adi M
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The resort itself is nice. (Beautiful grounds, long stretch of beach). That said, I do not think that I would consider going back until the new airport is built. Here is why.

It's an 8 hour flight there from Vancouver. On the way, it ends up taking an extra hour because there is a stopover in Costa Rica. (That is basically how long a flight to Paris takes!) Once you are there, you have to get your bags and board a bus. The bus trip is supposed to be 2 hours. Our trip was longer because someone threw up on the bus and we had to pull over for a while.

You get there, you get a voucher to a buffet, and someone takes your bags to your room. We had a lovely room in Block 34. It was nice and quiet and, in spite of the stairs, it was pretty central. It was clean, even if there was no mini-bar, face towels or anything like that. Unfortunately, the a/c leaked and flooded the place. (Our stuff did not get wet, fortunately). The hotel staff was great about moving us. Unfortunately, we ended up in Block 15 (ground floor). Block 15 is close to the buffets and the show. Unfortunately, it VERY VERY noisy! Noise does not usually bother us much, but it was incredibly noisy at all hours. Whether it was the screaming birds (I'm not kidding), the people walking by the room at 2 am talking or the TV on next door at 8 am, it was pretty hard to sleep. The walls (and door) are so thin that is like the noisemakers are in the room with you. So - we were pretty tired over our last few nights. Still - the hotel was nice and we did have fun.

Then the trip back ... You leave at 1:45. It's a 3.5 hour bus ride back. (Or at least it was for us. Carnival was taking place at the time, so there was a lot of traffic). You get to the airport. Wait for your flight for an hour to two. (They moved the flight time from 7:50 to 8:15 pm). Then it's an 8 hour long red-eye flight. Hard to sleep. You arrive at 1:15 am (4:15 am Panama time). In our case, the baggage carousel broke down, causing a delay of another 45 minutes or so. You leave the airport at 5 am Panama time (2 am Vancouver time), and you are exhausted. I worked the next day, but I guess some of you may take the morning off.

So - while it was a nice trip, we spent 2 of the 8 days commuting. The commute there was maybe 12 - 13 hours. The commute back was 15 - 16 hours. I have been back almost a week now and I am still tired. I feel like I need another vacation!! We love all-inclusives and I have never had any real complaints about any of the others that I have been to. I have nothing really negative to say about the Royal DeCameron. I did have a great time (although it was not as "nice" as some of the others - no mini-bar, no drinks served to you at the pool or on the beach, a-la-cartes had buffet style appetizers and desserts, etc., it was still more than adequate), but I wanted to relax and I came home tired.

They are building an airport closer to the resort in the next little while. Maybe once it is built I would consider going back. Until then, I think I will stick to closer destinations like Mexico ... or another resort that is closer to the airport than the RD.

Room Tip: Avoid Block 15 if you can. It is very noisy. Block 34 is great.
3  Thank Jen K
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We did the combo holiday offered by Nolitours. 5 nights at RD and 2 nights Hard Rock.
We had a great time at Royal Decameron
The resort is clean there are people busy working all around. Service was pretty good compared to the reviews we read before leaving. I wouldn't say it was ' over the top' but fairly decent. The food was suitable, I liked it, my friend said it could've been better. We discovered there's fried rice, noodles and a meat at the Japanese restaurant at lunch it was awesome and we went there 3 times for lunch. Croissants and great breads were served at buffets, fresh fruit too. They seem to serve the bacon very well done. I suppose there's a few who like it that way lol. We liked the drinks, beer was fine too. A la carts were ok we did fusion, Japanese , and seafood. They were about a 6 out of 10. Japanese restaurant was a 7.
Rooms were a bit dated but clean. We were bldg 31 recommend it as we were steps away from pool, buffet, and beach. More than enough chairs available. Entertainment was not bad. We walked to Woodys on the beach for lunch and beer great tunes playing, we stayed a few hours!
I do not speak Spanish and managed just fine. I will be trying to learn more for future trips. Yes we would return.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Messyhair2
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our second time to the resort and still as enjoyable as the first visit. Beautiful site, great weather, lots of pools to enjoy with drinks in hand. If you love walking along the beach this is the place for you. Long and wonderful textured sand to massage your feet in. Book your meals well in advance and enjoy a meal served hot to your table in the evening. Visit what is left of Noreiga's beach home, visit Woody's Pub/Restaurant (Cdn patriot) or walk through the little town of Farallon to mix up your sunbathing activities. Or experience a drive with the natives to Penonome, inexpensive shopping or take the arranged tours for shopping in Panama. Farallon the village is not yet developed, your chance to see how the natives live (fishing village) as in another year or two this area will unfortunately become more touristy - airport to be opened in 2014 for international flights eliminating the 2 hr drive. Recommend the combo tour to see the Canal and Panama well worth the money. Great vacation destination.

Room Tip: Villas on golf course more secluded if you are looking for quiet and privacy but there is a walk, th...
8  Thank Cocomojoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort - An All Inclusive Resort
#1 of 1 in Farallon
La Perla de Farallon
La Perla de Farallon
#4 of 5 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!