“A week in the sun”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed with a friend here, weather was awesome, staff were great, althought spanish speaking did their best to get what you needed. The food was good, drinks were good, room was good. The drive was a little too long for me, but they do have a closer airport being built. I would not recommend this resort to anyone who likes to travel off as there is not much to do and to anyone who has difficulty walking as there are a TON of stairs. Overall experience was great for what we spent.

4  Thank 2cute4youToronto

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I came back yesterday from my vacation week that I spent at the Royal Decameron. I went there with one of my really good friends and her parents. Since they travelled a lot, I didn't really care about the details and all because I knew they would take care of it. The flight was okay, even if it was a small plane. The staff members were friendly. The only thing is that we were quite surprised when we got our tickets with our seats, because most of the people couldn't get seats together... I mean, we were four, but were all sitting in different places.

We knew that we had to take a bus for two hours to get to the hotel, but didn't really mind. It gave us the occasion to look at the landscape and see what the country looked like. We were lucky ; the check-in was fast. They gave us some papers and after 10-15 minutes, we could go find our room. It was 2306, near the sushi bar thing. I was quite surprised when I saw the room, because it was okay. The air con' worked well, but it was kind of cold in the room at night. Everything was also really clean, and we didn't have any problems with our beds. I'm kind of picky when it comes to the bathroom, because I hate when it looks dirty, but it was fine. We got a new bottle of water when one was empty, we had soap, they changed our towels, etc. The only bad thing about the room, is probably the toilet. Yes. Don't put any toilet paper in it, or anything else. And, I'm sorry to tell you that, but if you feel the need to use it for something more than a simple #1, it's not a good idea. The toilet then get stuck and you have to wait until someone comes to clean it.

Our room was located just beside the kid's park, but it was not a problem. When it gets dark, around 6:30pm, all the children leave anyways. There was a pool just in front, with a snack bar, and we really liked that. There weren't so many people there so it was nice. It took less than 5 minutes to get to the beach, but I must say that it was tiring to always have to climb the different stairs just to get back to the room. The lobby and restaurants were not so far either. I can't say that the place was quiet at night, but it didn't give me a hard time when I went to sleep.
Next is.. the food ! I'm not so picky. When I'm hungry, I eat whatever I can find, and that's it. It's true that the food in the buffets was not ''excellent'', but it was not disgusting either. I can't really compare it to Cuba or whatever, since it was my first experience in a resort. But some days were worse than the others. I remember a day, the food was so salty, I couldn't eat it. And I like salty and spicy food, so you can imagine that it really was too much. Sometimes it was cold, but it was alright. We went to three ''a la carte'' restaurant. I think it was the Cayuco, the Med Café and.. Neganega ? Or well, the thai one. The thai one was... Well, I ordered the pad thai. It was plain, didn't taste anything. Not like the pad thai I use to eat. Then was the Cayuco -> awful. I ordered the fish, such as my friend and her mother. The piece of fish is really small, and they just throw like carrots and vegetables in the plate. Also, my fish was not the same color as theirs, and it was burnt in many several places. Really hard to eat, and it was not good. The Med Café was, indeed, better than the two others. I ate the mix whatever, with seafood and shrimps, and it was good. We ate a lot to the snack bars, too, since we went to eat late at night. The bread was not grilled, but it was still good.

The pools were clean, but I was disappointed when I saw that most of them close at 5pm because of the restaurants. I also really liked the beach, I think it was clean. It's not blue and clear water, but it was warm and nice. It was also my first time, so I thought it was nice. The waves are strong, sometimes, so be careful. If you are sitting or on your knees in the water when the wave comes back, you'll see that it's so strong that you start rolling in the sand and drinking salty water. It happened to me, I lost my bathing suit, and almost drowned. It's not so funny !

And now, the interesting part - tatataaaan. The services AND the customers. The service was not bad, but not good either. They couldn't really speak English so it was hard for them to understand what we wanted. Also, sometimes, we had to wait for a long time before they actually gave us water and decided to clean our table. One night, my friend and I got water 15 minutes AFTER we finished eating. The restaurant was almost empty because it was late, and we were just beside the entrance. They kept looking at us but never came.. My friend, her parents and I are pure French Canadians. So we speak French, good English (not her parents but whatever), but zero spanish. We only knew how to say ola, gracias, and agua. Most of the customers are native Spanish speakers, from Panama, Colombia, etc. And I was disappointed to see that some of them are kind of rude and racists. Because we were obviously white peoples who didn't speak Spanish, we always felt like if they didn't want us to be there. Just when we went to eat, there were always many people who looked at us with strange expressions. They were also rude... I was mad sometimes because I was waiting in line at the bar, of to get food, and they would just cut the line just in front of me but still got served before me. Some of them would speak loud to cover my own voice, and got what they wanted first. We went to the expedition of shopping in Panama City and the canal, we were 6 French speakers, but they put us in a bus of Spanish. When the guide spoke in French, they would complain to speak in Spanish. At one point, they even started to clap in their hands, yelling, because we wanted to see an artisan place, but they didn't want to. So they were saying loud, in Spanish, something like no artisan, shopping shopping !!! When the guide spoke in Spanish, it was quiet in the bus, but once he started to speak in French, all of them started to talk really loud and I could barely hear, even if he spoke in a microphone.

So ! Overall, I don't think it's a bad place, but I wouldn't go back, mostly because of the poor service and the Spanish customers. It's sad to say, but a lot of them are really rude, don't know how to act. Oh and I forgot to say that one night, at 4 freakin' am, we woke up because a bunch of people were speaking so loud outside in Spanish.

5  Thank MNSshi
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed there with our 2 year old and we had a great time! We were lucky to get a clean and comfy room far away from the noise ofnthe night shows! The food was good but the restaurant A la carte were not worth it! I would recomend to eat at the buffet its way better! The staff is great and very nice and helpful! If tou need shade you might have to fight for it lol! Theres not enought palapas for everybody and with the baby thats not good the last 2 days we spent in our room cause it was to hot for her!
2h30 minutes from the airport be prepared for amlong but beautiful ride!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank melissa r
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I am sure you have already heard about the bus trip and it isn't a five star resort. Panama is a beautiful country and is great to explore. We stayed at the Royal Decameron for two weeks but we did an excursion everyday except for three of the days. That being said there a lot of activities to do. My wife and I want to go back to explore more of the caribbean side of Panama. The resort is comfortable and the food is good. There is always something to do at the resort if excursions are not your thing. Panama is very hot everyday, I thought I would get used to it but I didn't. The pools are very nice and the beach is huge. Just down the way is a cove that is great to get away from the crowds and perfect for searching for the perfect shells. There is a lot of Canadians and Columbians at this resort but as others have said bruch up on your Spanish as you are going to need it. My wife and I took the local bus in front of the resort to Penome (we don't know any Spanish) and it was a adventure. I love the bus or should I say the van but my wife was worried. We manage fine without knowing the language but I am sure it would have been easier to know some Spanish. Panama is a very safe country and everyone is very friendly, I wish I could have communicated with them better.
We travel mainly 5 star resorts but when coming to the Royal Decameron we expected less and we were plesantly surprised the the food, service, accommodations and cleanliness.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Jason M
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just returned from the Royal Decameron and thought it was a great resort. This is an absolutely MASSIVE resort!

Not to worry though, there are a large number of bars, pools and restaurants throughout the facilities - so something is always close. For those concerned about this, you can always find a white resort van who are patrolling the resort and will take you wherever you need to go. If we were leaving out room (close to lobby 1) and were heading to lobby 3 (or the adult pool) - we'd walk to the front of lobby 1 and there would be a van there ready to go to lobby 3 almost every time we needed it.

The resort itself is extremely well kept, lawns and gardens well manicured and pools extremely clean.

The rooms are basic, but large and are very well kept and clean. The beds a very comfortable, air conditioning worked like a charm and we had a nice sized balcony to sit out on. The maids do a great job, be sure to leave them a little something for their efforts.

The food was great, very tasty and a lot to choose from. From a variety of vegetable dishes, to meats, cheeses and breads - fresh juices and fruits. The great thing about all Royal Decamerons is that there is no limit to the amount of A la Carte reservations throughout your stay. We did the BBQ for steak, Sushi restaurant and fusion...all of which were great - the better part is that there are 9 A La Carte's to choose from.

We did the ATV tour through the mountains which I'd recommend if you can get for a good deal. It was priced at $150, but we were able to talk them down to $105 even at the resort.

Be sure to walk down the beach (when you hit the beach, turn right and walk about 4-5 minutes) to Woody's. Great little place to go hang out, drink few beers on the beach and just unwind away from the resort. The food is great, try the lobster and prawns - $30 for two lobster, 5-6 huge prawns and a side. Well worth the price. Monique was a fantastic host (the owner) and great to chat with about Panama and culture.

With that i'll leave you with - when I read the comments from others on this site, that they "hated" this resort because staff don't speak English...please, do us all a favour and just stay home! Or that they served "the locals" before you - very much untrue. Boggles my mind that people actually post these comments to be honest, just ignorant!

Yes, some staff at this resort speak NO English - this is THEIR country, adapt! They try their absolute best and you always seem to communicate just fine and frankly have a smile about it in the process. You're on vacation...relax! I found all staff at this resort to be great, hard working and extremely friendly.

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone - though as many have already commented, there are a TON of stairs.

Room Tip: Stay away from seaview rooms that are close to lobby 1 or lobby 3. Lobby 1 is the nightly entertain...
10  Thank iwannabeer
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Spent 2 weeks here. I hate large hotels and this is huge, but, here there is always somewhere you can get away from it. The hotel on arrival had upgraded us to a seaview. The food is very good with an amazing amount of choice. The beds are comfortable. The staff are very, very friendly. Some of the shows at night were very good, some not so. The Contiki restaurant was our favourite and we booked it 3 times in the 2 weeks. Downsides are that it is noisy. Our room was near Lobby 1 and during the shows you couldn't hear yourself think, but they always ended by midnight so too bad. Also the staff and their walkie talkies are rather noisy from very early in the morning. It's not a luxury hotel but it is very good for what you pay and most of the staff really do it credit.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the show arena as possible
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank linedanceangel
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Nothing but great things to say about this place. Try it and you'll see.
The beach is perfectly clean, the staff speak very well English and they're also learning some French. The food is very good which is (very) rare in my experience. Great restaurants, lots of activities, I enjoyed a private massage on the beach. People there really made our vacations worth the price. The organised trips are completely amazing and do not cost much.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort - An All Inclusive Resort
#1 of 1 in Farallon
La Perla de Farallon
La Perla de Farallon
#4 of 5 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!