“Disappointed...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Brossard, Canada
“Disappointed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

I'll try to write this as short and sweet.I got good reviews from colleagues and friends about this hotel so I was expecting better.
TRANSFER: after a 5 hour flight from MTL the 1h45 bus ride is a bit taxing, be ready for it !!
HOTEL:OK but if you get a room atop the hill you'll be in good shape when you get back! If you get it offered, pay the 100or200$ extra to be beachside, because everything except the lobbies are beachside.Don't try to take a shower during lunch time, they're doing a wash of towels so they're are none left in the room !!FOOD:The food at the buffets is really so-so, the à la carte restaurants are better.
STAFF: OK but I found them to be a little less cordial than the Mexicans or even the Dominicans...I tried to speak to them in my limited spanish and most of the time I got the look of ¨Just say it in English man¨
We went mid-December so the rainy season wasn't completly over (Thanks travel agent !?!) so it rained every day !?! a little,15 min, sometimes 3 hours. So we caught on quickly that you have to get in as much sun early in the day and after you contend with whatever falls. So we got to visit the gym, which is too small for a 1000 people hotel but ALEX is muy sympatico and tends to your every need.
We went on 3 excursions: JUNGLEBOAT 90$ per person which was TOTALLY worth it!! You get to see lake Gatun which is the biggest lake on the Panama canal and you get to eat a traditional meal (Better than the hotel!!) and visit lagoons with waterfalls.
TOUR OF THE OLD CITY and the CANAL 45$ per person...personnally I'd have skipped this one because the old city isn't that amazing, it will be amazing in a couple of years after they've restored everything (There is alot of money being pourred into Panama) and the canal well, it's a lock like any other. To me, the history is far more interesting.
ANTON VALLEY : 35$half-day, really cool because you visit a valley and a city built in the crater of a extinct volcano (2 million years) and you get to shop with the locals and visit a refuge for different species of animals...(By the way the food in the city tasted better than the buffet at the hotel !!
The tour guides are really good at explaining in French and English !! (Please tip them!! they're really good!!)
In conclusion, two things, FIRST, if I would go back it would be in Jan or Feb to make sure it doesn't rain. SECOND, having known this ahead of time I would have taken the 12 day at the DECAMERON and 2-day in the CITY PLAN because I would've been that much closer to the airport and been able to see the city at my own pace...

• Liked — Big lot so if you want, you don't get to see the same peolple all the time
  • Disliked — Food was ordinary...Location, far from everything
12 Thank PG102

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

Just returned from a week at this hotel. The food for an all inclusive was decent if you like chicken, they do it best. The beach was lovely You could go for long walks the water is nice and warm.
This hotel is huge. Our room was a dump. It was very dirty and hardly ever cleaned. The beds were awful and needed to be replaced. At first glance the hotel looks like it needs to be redone but as the week goes by you get used to it. The hotel staff were very rude. There lack of english speaking employees was very frustating This hotel nickel and dimes you. You must pay for an extra key and you must pay for a security box in your room. If you are looking for a holiday with nice weather and a decent beach and do not care about your room or hotel staff than this is the place for you.
We took an eco tour which was a rip off $95.00US per person.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the dirt
5 Thank joe060

Travelers are raving about these Farallon hotels

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

My Family just returned from the Decameron and found it to be a really great value--awsome pools and grounds. Beach clean, Service very good especially Pedro and his staff. Kudos.
Food was really good and plentiful. Many choices for Dinner reservations. Rooms nothing special--Holiday Inn but cleaner.
Third time here and each was better than the other. Nice being next to a golf course that's very challenging and cheap.
Tip1-- tips even a dollar or 2 go a long way.
Tip2--Ask for a Room in the lower area.
Tip 3--Learn some basic Spanish.

• Liked — Grounds
  • Disliked — climbing stairs
12 Thank Touristor
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

ROYAL DECAMERON- PANAMA

We went to Panama from Dec 10, 2007- Dec 17, 2007 and we had a great holiday. I don't even know where to begin.

I went with my boyfriend and we are both in our early 20's. We found the crowd to be a mixture of ages and during our stay there seemed to be a lot of people from Columbia, and Panama (school is out) but also Canadian's, and some people from Peru, Finland, Norway and other various countries. The staff speaks mainly Spanish so over the week we picked up on some key terms. During the nightly entertainment they speak mainly Spanish but at some point's they would translate, regardless the shows each night where amazing, funny and entertaining. The resort is so nice, the food is great. We will be going back again.

I'll give a breakdown of each key aspect as well as any tips that I found helpful.

Tips:

-Pack a change of clothes in your carry on as the luggage is delivered to your door and it may not be there when you get to your room as the staff has to unload, sort and than bring it to the rooms..........be patient. We went to the lobby bar (lobby 1) and grabbed a few drinks and went back to the room. It was maybe 45 mins before or luggage arrived to our room.

-Learn some Spanish term.

-Eat at the airport before your departure........it is almost a 5 hour flight and the meal on the plane is small so you may get hungry.

-Be sure to bring a good pair of walking shoes because you will need them for the tours.

THE RESORT: Well maintained, beautiful flowers and greenery, lots of stuff to do just on the resort, there is several stairs to get to the lobbies and depending on your room there may be steep pathways as the resort is built on hilly terrain. You will probably read a lot about what others say about the stairs but is honestly is not that bad. Even the map of the resort is very deceiving. We had only been to smaller resorts so we did not know what to expect of a resort with 800 plus rooms but once you get there and get acquainted with the area the resort did not seem that big at all. There are also several vans that will pick you up and drop you off. We just asked someone when the next van would be coming and they would call the driver.

Beach:

The sand if course compared to Cuba or Mexico. You will find a lot of sea shells that wash up with the tide. We spent most of our time bye the pools but if you walk down the beach you will find little shops on the beach set up bye the locals who live in Farallon. There is a pub up the way that is pretty popular with travelers (Woody's) and if you talk to the guy with the horse he will let you go horse back riding on the beach.......I seen a few people do this and they had a blast.

Food: All of the food was very good, great selection!!!

Breakfast: tons of fresh fruits, fruit juices, omelette station- customize your own omelette, various meats, rice, toast station, French toast, pancakes. Everything was great.

Lunch: had the choice of 3 buffet restaurants (Pacifico, Atlantis, and Panamania) they all served similar things at each so you could also opt to hit up a snack bar which would serve hot dogs, burgers, pizza, fries and salads.

Dinner: We ate at an a la carte 5 of our 7 dinners and than did the buffet for 2 dinners. You had the option of 2 buffet restaurants at night and each place had a different theme each night (Mexican, International, sea food, Spanish-just to name a few.) The beef dish’s at Mogo Mogo (Thai place) and Kontiki (Fusion place) were very good and extremely tender. We both had the T-bone steak at the grill restaurant but it was a little tuff. All in all the food was amazing and each day the selection is amazing.

Rooms:

The buildings are 3 storey's high and there are several of them. We stayed in No. 20 which is a short walk to lobby 1 (main lobby) Lobby 1 is where you get dropped off at when you arrive. The rooms are very clean and the house keeping did a good job.

Excursions:

If you are planning on doing any excursions you will be spending between $40.00-$150.00 depending on what you would like to do. The resort offers tons of stuff to do. Some examples include: sun set sailing $, Bubba Bump shrimp boat $, Banana boat, deep sea fishing, paddle boats, ping pong, and lots and lots of other stuff both free or for a charge.

If you would like a little rush than try the zip lines- you load a bus in the morning and go into Anton Valley up in the mountains and zip through the trees and beside a waterfall. The guide is very informative and you get to learn about various plants, and animals as you walk through the forest. We also got to stop in Anton Valley to do a little shopping and take in the local community. The canopy trip cost $80.00 per person and it was well worth it.

ATV tour: We did the 2 hour 4 wheeling trip. It was a really great way to see Panama from a relaxed fun point of view. I would recommend this excursion for sure. ($60.00 per person)

Massage on the beach: Hands down this was so relaxing. My boyfriend and I did a ½ hour full body massage on the beach to whine down our vacation. They do such an amazing job….definitely recommended. We also met up with a few other people who go some other treatments in the spa and they hand nothing but good things to say (chocolate body wrap)

I hope that this review was helpful it helping you make your decision and I hope that you have a great vacation. I know that we will be going back to Panama in the near future and we will spend 2 weeks next time.

Bon Voyage!!!

• Liked — Very clean and bright, housekeeping did a wonderful job.
  • Disliked — Bring an alarm clock as there is no clock in the rooms
41 Thank gurlly16
Thessalon, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

We were really impressed with this property, the management, staff and the food. This was our third Royal Decameron, and they were all excellent, but this one was the best. My wife is a Chef, and I am a Hospitality Consultant and we have our own resort, and can honestly say that this resort is worthy of four stars and is excellent value for the money.

We were down for two weeks, and one of our staff and her family followed, and they too were impressed.

Pedro the Guest Services Manager was very professional and could speak many languages. The Executive Chef was everywhere ensuring that the food was excellent, which it was. You can't miss him, and his assistants dressed in full culinary attire.

We took four tours and loved them all.

There is one more thing. We purchased a Nativity Scene in Soapstone in Penonome at Sakura Curiosidades. When we unpacked it, the Baby Jesus was missing. Anybody that goes there, could you please mention it to them. Perhaps they would send it. (Arms 2", Body 3").

Do not hesitate to book this resort. We will be back.

• Liked — Food, Staff, Tours
  • Disliked — Distance from the airport
17 Thank Floyd07
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2007

I went to Panama expecting to find a mini Costa Rica and I was disappointed. In my opinion Costa Rica is by far the better choice for a destination.

It rained for an entire day but other than that it would rain for about a half an hour in the afternoon. The skies were mainly clear except for right before the rain, and they would clear up soon afterwards.

The hotel is HUGE. There are three large pools located near the beach that go the width of the hotel and then two pools that are up at the top of the hotel. I liked the adults only pool the best. It was small and there were no kids

The beach was so much fun! The waves were huge and there was a strong undertoe. At one point I saw a rip tide form. I also saw an older woman get knocked down by a huge wave and the lifeguard was right there and picked her up. I don't really think this is a beach for anyone that isn't a strong swimmer.

The food....well I had pasta every day for lunch and dinner for a week. I am not usually a fan of food at AI as I am a very picky eater. The a la carte restaurants were also pretty good. My favorite was the italian.

I found that the staff were friendly but not overly chatty. I think i read somewhere that the hotel doesnt want them becoming friendly with the guests and they certainly show women more respect than what you would recieve in DR or Mexico (with the cat calling). It was a nice change.

Overall I think that this would be a great introduction to central america, but as another traveller wrote it is a bit of a let down after going to Costa Rica. At this point of the year it is the beginning of their dry season and if you are looking for guarenteed sunshine and 30 degrees this would be a good choice! If you are looking for an Eco Adventure....look elsewhere.

• Liked — The hot sun
  • Disliked — no mini bar in the room, distance from the airport, the hill!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank courtneykiki
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2007

R D PANAMA 4 STAR
Reviewer.A TripAdvison MEMBER Ste Catherine SOUTH SHORE

We left from montreal the 10 december 2007 for two weeks.MY
husbund and two good friends arrive at the the panama airport
about 12;30 pm you have a brown envelope waiting for you.it is true a long bus ride around 2 hours.But you see panama which is great .To go to my room the number was 3323 you had to be at lease a bit in shape to climb the hill.for breakfast and lunch at the buffets aclantis and pacifico.Near lobby1 there is 70 stairs.Breakfast are good ; lunch the same fish or beef or chicken or pasta and a lot of salad.SUPER was my favorite at the restaurant Kontiki and mogo mogo.At kontiki try there shrimp pancake,they are wonderfull.The rooms are big beds are great we had a king size bed.GREAT TIP TO LET YOU KNOW; bring mugs for coffee and drinks;bring face cloths bring a lot of suntan
lotion.ON THE BEACH you can buy towlets 5$ or two for 9$$teashrit 5$.beach bags5$.To go to village Penonomé you shop for only 1$.40 bus drive 45 min.We were at the royal decameron for two weeks;and it rain each day .But we still got tan.the rainy season surpost to finish the 15 december.TO RELAX IT IS WONDERFULL.

• Liked — THE PRICE WAS RIGHT FOR A 4 STAR
  • Disliked — NO FRIGE IN THE ROOM
15 Thank huskey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Hotel Campestre
Hotel Campestre
#2 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!