“Seriously, Go and Don't Look Back.”

Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Reviewed November 25, 2007

The only bad thing about having stayed at the Decameron in Panama....I can't find a resort that even comes close to this one that can provide all of the great service, food and experiences we had for that price. The resort itself is beautiful. We ate fabulous meals every night that would have cost (here in Toronto) as much as we paid for our entire stay in Panama (we got a ridiculous deal - go in september and don't let the hurricane season scare you - it just doesnt happen here, ever). Aside from the resort, the day trips you can take are unreal. Strongly advise you to go to the city and visit Casco Viejo. We went and met the filming crew from Prison Break (for anyone who like myself doesnt watch the show, they filmed a few episodes in the city). If a hit series is filming here, you know its going to be a worthwhile visit. Take the public bus, it cost us $5, was a clean and comfortable ride there. Took cabs that never cost more than $2 to get anywhere in the city. This is way better deal and experience than what the tour company offers. Take the jungle boat tour...feed monkeys in the rain forest, hold a python, go swimming in a waterfall, watch a giant tanker ship from Italy sail to the canal from 200 ft. away...you won't regret it. Visit noriega's summer house next door. go horse back riding. there are sooo many things to do here, its terrific. just make sure you book all your plans asap b/c they fill up times quickly. please, take some of the food from the buffet and put it in a ziplock bag (no one will notice, trust me). bring it to the adorable children that play along the beach while their parents try to sell some souvenirs (5 min. walk along the beach away from noriega's house/the condos). they will sincerely appreciate it. tip the staff, they are amazing and not many guests show any sign of appreciation. i could go on and on about all of the great things. just know this: you will not regret going to the royal decameron, you will love panama. there's a reason...actually there's many reasons why panama is quickly becoming the most popular southern place to relocate to...and you'll see why...

• Stayed: September 2007
39  Thank araSara

Reviewed November 23, 2007

Returned this week from Panama - had a wonderful time at the resort. Booked through Nolitours which made the entire process seamless and problem free. Pleasant flight on Airtransat (from Toronto) and on arrival in Panama we were met by the tour reps and embarked on bus transport in no time at all (plus a welcoming beer which is always nice). Baggage picked up at airport and delivered straight to our rooms at resort. Bus trip is about 2 hours but guide gave great tour description of Panama and time passed quickly. (plus washroom stop halfway there). Filled out registration forms on bus and on arrival check in took total of 5 minutes (plus another welcoming drink).
Rooms large, spacious and clean with big balconies - minor drawback, could use coffee maker - maid service excellent throughout.
Grounds beautiful and well kept - lots of steps as resort is built on side of a hill - however, there is a shuttle bus service to take guests around entire resort. Many pools to choose from (8 - 6 oceanside) but prefer Sushi Samba pool at top of hill - nice and quiet, plus bar and snack bar in afternoon.
Beach is long and pretty - many beach chairs and mini-tents for protection from sun - lots of water sports available. Walk further down beach there is couple of restaurants (Woody's good for canadian fare) and several places to buy souvenirs/crafts.
Food was excellent - ate at 6 al a carte during week (you can book same night at 7 in morning - or 3 at a time between 10-11:30 at all 3 lobby bars - they have full menus there as well as what theme is on at the buffet restaurants) - 2 buffet restaurants (great breakfast) and 3 snack bars.
Staff were very friendly but it does help to know a little spanish.
Had fun at the Casino (drinks not included - but at a $1 a beer - who cares). If you want souvenirs there is a couple of craft markets at road top of hill leading into Farallon village (and small supermarket for necessities).
All 3 lobbies have Boutique stores for souvenirs, cigarettes, etc.
Went on 2 excursions - Jungle Boat (Captain Bruce is quite the character) and Panama City Tour/Canal - and had a great time.
All in all had wonderful, relaxing vacation - lots of sun (although rains every afternoon in rainy season for about 30 minutes), great food and drink, and met great people (almost half there were canadian, other half mostly columbian/argentinian with a few europeans)
We are planning on going back again in a years time

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
23  Thank LondonGuava
Reviewed November 22, 2007

We (58, 57 & 7 yrs old) just returned from Panama. It was our first time to this country. The 2 hours bus trip (which is mentioned in the brochure) Even though you are anxious to get started with your vacation, enjoy the informative trip through this lush country. The Nolitour escort pointed out 1,000's of points of interest and shared with us her pride in her country.

Check-in starts at the Panama airport where the Nolitour represtative gives you an envelope and luggage tags with your room number and your personal check-in desk number. A resort map, information on tours offered and detail of the facility are included within this envelope. At the hotel numerous temporaarty check-in desks are waiting to quickly process the masses. The luggage is delivered to your building and even to your room about 2 hours after you arrive.

Air Transit was wonderful, I enrolled our grandson in the Kids Club after a previous flight and it was worth the effort, we all enjoyed express check-in, boarding, our suitcase was first off the plane and a personal escort to customs /immigration at Panama. The same attention was offered on departure. The Nolitour reps were very attentive and explained any facit of your holiday with great detail and accuracy.

Helpful facts - If you are looking for bacon ask at the omlette station it was available periodically through the week. Tips are always welcome but not expected, we did not experience the "hand out" at the Royal Decameron. Avoid the pool at the Atlantis Buffet area on the weekend as the locals enjoy reduced rates for week ends and populate that pool. Eventhough the brochure warns of lack of accessibilty the resort; because it is built on two levels which is joined by stairs or ramp/driveways that could double as a training grounds for the olympics. Neither levels are independent of each other; one has the ocean/beach and all but 1 pools and the other houses the lobbies and booking desks for specialties restaurants, tours and customers desks. There is bus service throught the complex if you are patients enought.

The a la carte restaurants were excellent and we couldn't decide which one we liked best, Canal Restaurant ( seafood), Panamai (Italian) or Kontiky (steak).

The activity staff, waters and maids speak and understand Spanish, to hold a conversation with anyone other than front desk staff or Nolitour ataff is exhausting.

We enjoyed the Ecotour, with the animals, actually crossing the panama canal and the swimming in the waterfalls but I would strongly suggest to take shoes of flip flops that can be worn in the water as the rocks are volcanic and sharp as you wade to the falls.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
21  Thank nan4
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The main drawback to to Farallon Beach is that it is an hour's drive from the airport. But once there you are treated royally. The rooms are large with good balconies. The staff tries their very best to make your stay memorable. The beach has many coverings for those who want a little shade, with several scattered drinks kiosks. The two buffet restaurants serve the usual meals, with the fruit and salads, cheese and meats very fresh. There are three reservation-only restaurants which are excellent (avoid the beef; unfortunately, Central American beef is not up to North American standards).

If you are on the beach, there is a steep hill to climb to get to any of the three lobbies. There are the usual activities as well as a show in the amphitheatre, which changes nightly. Two recomended day trips. One to the Anton Valley, with local birds and animals as well as a nursary. Two, a trip to visit the Embera tribe. You go by bus to a national park. At a beach on the Chagres River you get into a long boat and the men take you to a lovely waterfall, with time for a swim in the pool at the bottom. Then a short trip to the Embera village where you get to meet and talk to the vlllagers with the opportunity to see their homes up close and purchase a souvenier.

The hotel grounds are well kept and full of flowers.

There are villas for those who want to step out their front door onto the first tee. The whole place is bold and brassy and meant for families.

As an older couple, we would happily return.

16  Thank gusandted
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I went on a solo trip here from March 26th 2007- April 2nd 2007 not knowing what type of ppl I would encounter or what to expect in general since it was my first AI experience.

The Breakdown-

Type of Guests:
This resort caters mostly to older travellers or couples so I wouldn't recommend solo guests or young group of singles to come here, but that not to say they didn't exist. I did manage to find other young folks like myself there, but there was definately more older travellers. So that in turn created a more leisurely, relaxed atmosphere for the most part at the resort, but there was an animation team there that did hold events like a beer drinking contest, water polo and beach volleyball. I still met a variety of ppl. and enjoyed my stay. I would say half of them are from Canada, split between Ontario and Quebec, and the other half from Central or South America. Very few ppl from the states during my stay.

Staff:
Great staff. Many reviews mentioned they don't know much english but it didn't cause any problems. I found the bartenders to be amiable and the lifegaurds preventing ppl from bringing drinks into the pool which was importent to keep them clean. I always found many workers saying hi to me as I walked by them.

Pool/Beach-
Wow...too many pools!! The pool by the Japenese restaurent was serene, very quiet, like barely any ppl there during the day as it's location is a little up hill (the restaurent serves buffet lunch during the day). It was one of my top two favourite pools, the other pool being by where you get your towels, cuz that was open until 9 PM, and not many ppl knew about it being open, so I would mostly have the entire pool to myself and swim at night!! There's also a swim up bar as well, located in teh corner of the resort but I never checked it out. I can't imagine any of the pools getting really crowded as there's so many of them..only one day some of the pools were since a section of the resort was closed for a wedding.

The beach is long and wide, at times I felt I had a segment of the beach to myself. The only thing is, don't expect crystal clear water or amazing sand, as it faces the Pacific. The water has no visability (very dark green/blue) and sand was course dark brown with shades of black. They stop ppl from using the beach by 6 pm generally (well it was during my stay).

Food-
The food is variable. I found breakfest to provide a lot of stuff (the banana milkshake was awesome) and you could get your eggs done anyway you'd like. There's cereal, milk, tea, croissants, fresh fruits etc. pretty solid.

Lunch I went to the buffets, which consisted of hot dogs, hamburgers and plantain (which was great). I found the taste of the hot dogs and burgers was kinda off one day, but it was mostly fine the other times. You can get pasta and rice and stuff in some other restaurents.

Dinner was okay, the pad thai at the thai restaurent was not good, and the italian restaurent was bland. but the restaurent by teh beach had the most amazing veal paremeson ever! It was beyond anything I had there previously.

Room-
There some ants around the sink area and the shower water could not stablize at warm, it would switch from cold to hot all the time. I could hear noise coming from the other rooms as well. The walls aren't good to protect against noise. I stayed by Lobby #2. But I didnt spend much time in my room so it was alright. I had a balcony as well.

Other-

There's a small club on the side of the resort which I found to play the same set of songs in different order every night which I didnt' like but it was fun. The 'casino' is small, but i saw blackjack tables and machines.

The hotel grounds are pristine. Workers are always cleaning and working to keep things good. Very beautiful grounds. There's peacocks and lizards hanging around as well, so look out for em!

Overall I really enjoyed my trip and would definately come back. You can get it a good deal too so it's definately worth it and then some. The beach at night gets quiet and you can just relax there with a drink from the plenty of bars on the resort. There's live entertainment at 10 PM at the main stage, but some of the restaurents have guitar players and the like. I found the entertainment to be great, the main host is a riot.

Don't miss out!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
19  Thank NobbieQ
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I'll keep it short. Went there first time in 2006 with friends ... liked pretty much everything. The only sort of negative comment,
most staff don't' speak English. But it wasn't big deal.

Came back in 2007 with wife and daughter (2.5 years) .
Loved it again!

Lots of kid's pools ! Good food, good room, nice beach .... what else do you need :-)

Probably will come again in a couple of years.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank robobobo
Reviewed November 1, 2007

My boyfriend and I saw a billboard advertising the Decameron while in Santa Clara, Panama. We went to the resort directly to find out if they had rooms available. The Decameron had 3 lobbies, we went to two and they said they were sold out. The front desk staff didn't even look at the reservation computer. We went to the last and final lobby and they were able to find us a room, but for only 1 night. We wanted 2 nights, they told us they could not guarantee a 2nd night and we'd have to check back in the morning. The food in the buffet was average, the restaurant we went to for dinner (you have to make reservations and most are sold out) was quite good. I wished the snack bar was open all day, because there were long periods in the afternoon food was not available.

The next day, we went to check to see if there were rooms available, but again, two lobbies we went to said they were full, but the last and final one gave us a room. It seemed like a lot to go through to get a room!

We also didn't like the fact that you had to hold onto your towel the whole time. You couldn't just get a new towel if you wanted one, you needed to use a towel card, and then turn in your old, dirty towel to get another one.

The staff in the restaurants were nice, and some people in the lobbies, but I would say the service was quite below par. The resort really caters to large groups and families.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OliveOylSLO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort - An All Inclusive Resort
#1 of 1 in Farallon
La Casita del Farallon
La Casita del Farallon
#3 of 5 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!