“Nice weekend getaway close to David Panama”

Hotel Las Olas Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in David
David, Panama
“Nice weekend getaway close to David Panama”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Sometimes it is just necessary to get away from the routine of daily life, right? If you live near David, Panama......... this resort is only about an hour away.

It is right on the beach and the rooms are incredibly huge and neat and very clean. AC works great, screens on the windows, the most comfortable matresses in any hotel I have ever been in and well maintained grounds.

The only weak area for us was the food.......... and the menu. I see they are trying to give a good mix of offers............. I would give them an A for trying........ but the actual cooking or recipes they use, like for their two Mexican dishes, were just not like anything I ever had in Mexico!

We left a day earlier than planned because we didn't want to be stuck with that menu.......

But we noticed as we drove away that there are a few other small restaurants nearby so maybe next time, if things don't change, we can stay the extra day and go to the other places nearby.

The pool is also not kid friendly............ too deep, drop offs, etc. They really should build a kiddy pool and I think a ton more families would visit. Our 3 year old actually slipped in the most shallow part, which was still too deep, and drank some water before we rescued her a couple of seconds later!

Overall good place............ just some tweaking and if could be fantastic.

Room Tip: I think they are all the same except the second story units right out back facing the beach
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Playa Coronado, Panama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

The internet can make even the most tired places look brand new. If you stay here just a few nights you might not notice the worn, frayed, ragged edges of this place. I would hardly call it a resort. The owners should be embarrassed to be associated with this hotel. The beach furniture is old and crumbling, be prepared to share your rooms with ants and some bees, the grounds need major landscaping, the food is average at best, the staff is hit or miss. Some are very helpful while others are sleep walking through their day. As you drive into the hotel, hang on tight, the potholes in the drive and near the frontgate will knock your front end out of alignment.

The owners are trying to develop this area with condos, single family homes and a golf course. If the care of the hotel is any example of how they do business, save your money and look elsewhere.

The beach is the real bright spot for this place. Miles and miles of black sand, crashing waves, and very few people. Solitude can be found here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Las Olas Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
We appreciate your input regarding our staff. We are working hard to train our staff to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests. While our resort is extensively landscaped, it was in need of some pruning, which we have recently done. We realize that some people come to Panama and are not expecting to be surrounded by nature. This is an eco resort where one can find, iguanas, geckos, frogs, turtles, birds of all types (including a macaw and parrots). We will be sure to advise our guests of this fact on our website. There are a few potholes on the way here. Because of the heavy rains during the green season, it is almost impossible to find a road without them in the country of Panama. Roads here are better than most other Latin American countries, but it is still a battle. We appreciate you staying with us and we hope that there will be another occasion where we are able to improve your opinion of our hotel.

Travelers are raving about these David hotels

pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

If you want to relax and chill, las olas resort and las brisas condos are the perfect place. This is right on a black sand beach with pounding waves about 30 minutes from the David airport.

The ocean can range from inviting to fierce. We had one day where it was so calm the we swam beyond the wave break and other days where we choose to swim in the pool.

There are three tennis courts, fishing, bikes, massage services and day trips. we did a day trip to Boquete to zip line and another to Boca Chica to snorkle, and site see. Both are highly recommended.

The restaurant on site was fine, we liked the breakfasts on the veranda. And you could never go wrong ordering the filet or special of the night.

The rooms were on par with the price we paid. Ask it there are any specials when you reserve.
Ask for confirmation, print it out and bring it with you so there is no confusion.

Service, we found that they, in general, were eager to help. But then we speak a little Spanish. If you don't speak Spanish bring a dictionary or app on your phone to help with getting your request across.

We have stay here a couple times, there is always good and bad, but the plusses come out ahead.

Room Tip: We booked an upstairs room for a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank first
David, Panama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Every year we visit this Hotel, and hope for the better. It is the only place to go when you live in Chiriqui, Panama. The rooms are simple, rooms being cleaned by 3 pm, just when you want to relex on your patio. The pool are is simply discusting, ants and ants everywhere, the food is discusting and if you need service, walk yourself, because they are to stupid and slow to help. You need an extra chair, get it yourself, this is what the staff will tell you. It is just Unbelievable, and they want to sell this area to the world, ha ha what a joke. Any small resort in any caribbean Island or even in our neighbours in Costa Rica know hospitality means.
I have been all over the world, this beats all. Horrible, service worst, food discusting, staff lazy, WOW !!

Room Tip: Almost all the same, partial view of ocean, with dead grass in front of you!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank J H
Vista Alegre
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

This resort is ok if you want to spend a lot of time just chilling out. Front desk staff was welcoming and changed our room when there was only one key. The room was smaller than I expected and did not have a refrigerator. A bit worn around the edges. Charged for coffee and water provided. Small terrace was nice and lovely grounds. I was worried about being too close to the beach and noise from the waves at night. Even though our unit faced the beach it was far enough from the beach so no problem. Beach is sandy, but waves are strong, not a quiet cove to swim. Public areas were nice, lovely pool, restaurant and if you like to exercise and work out there seemed to be a lot of equipment. We planned to stay two nights, but the remote location wasn't to our liking. I'm sure there are activities at the resort, but at our age we don't participate. Lovely restaurant and our dinner and breakfast were very good. The wait person for both meals were better than most restaurants in Panama City. Panama restaurant staffs just don't get if you give good service you get a better tip. Things have improved over the 6 years we have lived here, but still needs some tweaking. Drive from David to the beach is about 20-30 minutes through farm county. Lovely but brings you to the remote location of the resort. There are some private condos next to the resort. It's a location for some, but not for us. We drove from PC so had a car. If you don't, you are a captive at the mercy of other transportation. All in all the resort would be ideal for those looking to chill and recharge their battery. Sidebar: Reason we chose the resort was a great coupon discount offer and by paying in advance forced us to explore this area of Panama after living here for 6 years. Been there, done.that. We went on to Boquete the next day and now have been there, done that.

Room Tip: Didn't investigate other room choices, but ours was smaller than expected. I think all rooms fa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Findlay, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

My wife and I traveled with another couple. This was our first trip to Las Olas. We live in Panama and at this time of year rates of $70 to $80 were available. Through other promotions we were able to stay even cheaper. I'm rating it as if I had paid $80.

The direction to get to the resort are easy to follow. It is about 30 minutes from David. We arrived at 12:30 am and our rooms were ready. We were in room 103. The staff was friendly and provided us information. There were only 4 rooms occupied for our one night stay and our group had two of them.

The room was good sized. The doors were not the highest quality but they worked. The bathroom was nice sized and had a ledge that you could put your overnight stuff up and out of the way. The shower was big and had great water pressure. The AC worked fine and our room was always comfy. The patio off the room was nice. It has a table and two chairs. Our friends, who were next door, brought their two chairs over and we had cheese and wine that evening before dinner. They have wired Internet for free. Just ask for it and they will give you a cable for your computer.

The rooms are not right on the ocean, but you are very close. You can see the ocean and you can definitely hear the ocean. With so few people it was like having your own private resort. The pool was clean and nice. There were plenty of places to sit and talk, read or relax.

Out on the beach they had permanent structure thatched umbrellas and reclining chairs. There were plenty since there were so few of us. The beach is long in each direction and black sand. It is hot until you get down to where the waves wash up on it to cool it. NOTE: This is NOT a swimming beach or for small children. This beach has very high surf and very, very strong currents. At low tide you can get in but you have to still be very careful. Watch any children closely or if you are not a good swimmer, be very careful. I found the shore break and the waves hitting to be very relaxing.

We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel. The dinner menu was good and everyone enjoyed their meal. We had a bottle of wine that was reasonably priced. I gave the meal and service very good marks.

Breakfast was outside on the terrace of the restaurant. They have many selections and it was good. The omelet was big and filling.

The grounds were well maintained. They have a swim up bar that was not in operation because it is the low season. There is an exercise room

This was a great deal for the price and the fact it was not crowded. The normal rate for the slow season is $140. I wouldn't pay that for it any time of the year. If you can get it for $80 or less, especially in low season when it is not crowded, Las Olas is a very nice place to stay and relax, walk the beach, read, and just enjoy life.

If the place were 80%+ full, I'm not sure how much fun it would be or if there would be enough room in the pools, pool chairs, or on the beach. Just be warned that I think it would be very crowded in the high season (January to April).

Some English is spoken, but most only speak Spanish. Brush up on some of your Spanish when you come. Hope this info helps. Have a great time.

Room Tip: Special deals can be found here ofertasimple.com
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stargazerm31
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

After an extensive web search for a suitable place for our honeymoon in Panama we decided upon the Las Olas Beach resort near David, Panama. The Web site was very nicely presented, the pictures were appealing. I called the hotel for more information and the Receptionist Elicier was very courteous and professional and took his time to tell me about the features of the resort. A follow up email came from him shortly afterwards with a quote. The room rate was $65/ night +10% tax for a double occupancy room. This was a factor in my decision because I needed two rooms since my 14 y.o. daughter was coming also. We stayed at the resort for 6 nights. The beach has dark grey sand, but has a very nice texture. The only downside is that it becomes very hot to walk on as the day progresses. Its a wild beach with 12 to 14 foot breakers so its better to stay at the pool if you are not confident in those conditions. The pool and surrounds is very pleasing architecturally although the pool could be a little larger. Since there were very few other guests this was barely a factor, however this could have been a problem if the hotel was full. The rooms were nice with basic (not split system) air conditioners, and all have a large balcony facing the ocean. Only 5 or 6 TV channels which didn't bother me at all, but my wife would have preferred more selection. There is white ceramic tile wall to wall in the room which is cool. The door to the balcony in my room (room 208) could not be locked, but it didn't seem like theft would be a big problem here so I wasn't too worried. As far as I know there was no in-room safe. The noise of the waves breaking can be annoying to some, but my wife and I found it soothing and relaxing. There is one restaurant "Abigail" and the meals served are excellent, both in quality and diversity. The ambiance of "Abigail" is very fine and attention to detail meticulous. The cost of meals is similar to what you'd expect to pay in your Chillis, Applebee's etc, but the quality is substantially higher and presentation exquisite. We tried most things on the menu during our stay and ate outside of the hotel on only two occasions. There is also a wide range of cocktails available, and the local beer 'Balboa' is available for $1.50 a bottle which is very cheap for a restaurant of this caliber. Adjacent to "Abigail" there is a bar "Azule" which has soft mood lighting and pleasant ambiance. A wide screen TV is often playing loud modern Hispanic music videos. Breakfast is served on the patio in front of "Abigail" and was reasonably priced. A breakfast favorite of mine and my family was the yogurt, fruit and granola parfait. I ordered the 'Cafe Americana' with breakfast every day and was excellent local coffee, for $1.50. One downside is the wait staff do not speak English and appear to lack experience in working with international clientele as they sometimes can be abrupt when asked a question. At my first breakfast I was told in broken English that cash only is accepted which turned out not to be the case. Both my wife and daughter had a professional massage and at $60/hr each was well worth it. The day after we checked in I was told that my daughter would stay for free for the entire visit due to the confusion at check in. We checked in at 10.30 pm after a long and arduous drive from Panama city, and the reception was closed. We were told that the security guard would be giving us the room keys upon arrival, but there was no-one from security to be found. Eventually the hotel owner showed up and checked us in. When we checked out we found out that they were still going to charge for my daughter's room for the entire stay, so the discount offered amounted to nothing. It would have been better if they offered no compensation or a free breakfast would have been more than adequate compensation for the confusion. And finally one other small negative... I asked reception on a few occasions about tennis lesson for my daughter, but this never happened also. Overall the experience was very positive and I would recommend this property if you are looking for a peaceful and romantic getaway. There are no people on the beach trying to hustle their handicrafts, there are no nearby hotspots or nightclub district unless you want to drive 25 minutes to David. I would recommend you fly directly to David rather than drive from Panama city airport as we did and save yourself a lot of stress. Renting a car in David would be a good idea unless you want to stay at the resort for your entire visit.

Room Tip: It is cheaper to rent 2 rooms than a 2 bedrom suit
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank globalroamer1
Also consider these accommodations in or near David
Hotel Ciudad de David
Hotel Gran Via
Hotel Gran Via
#9 of 13 in David
Hotel Residencial Cervantes

Been to Hotel Las Olas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!