“The very best in town”

Hotel Ciudad de David
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in David
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The people that work in this hotel are truly willing to serve you. I got a wheelchair friendly room because mom has mobility issues. The room was big, the people were eager to acommodate us, the food from the restaurant is delicious. If you go near Christmas, they have hot chocolate and cookies with Christmas decorations at the breakfast buffet. All in all, is excellent. The rooms are elegant in wood and white. They are also warm and inviting. Good beds, clean to the core. Nice parking. I have been going there for some time now, and it never fails to work just right for me.

• Stayed: April 2012
Jessica R, Director Comercial at Hotel Ciudad de David, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. It is our commitment to be your home away from home. Come back soon!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Ciudad de David

Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is much nicer than anywhere else I have stayed in David, with large rooms, controllable a/c, good hot water, good water pressure, and good Internet (the wi-fi signal was weak in my corner room but a cable had been provided for my use...I was grateful to find it in the desk drawer and not to have to ask for it and wait for someone to bring to my room). There is no valet parking (odd for such an expensive or "fancy" hotel) and there was only one bellhop on duty when I arrived, which meant a long wait for my bags (or getting them myself, which I was about to do when they arrived). I arrived in the evening so perhaps they scale down staff at that hour (understandable if they don't have much evening traffic).

Room service forgot part of my order but promptly brought it up when I called to ask for it. (Food was good if overpriced). I left a few things in a drawer and the staff did not contact me, though they had my email. I called to inquire and the young lady was gracious and said she'd find out, but did not get back to me. When I called again, however, she informed me that my items had been found and would be waiting for me when I got back to David from Boquete.

When I returned I had to wait for a spell but they brought out my items and had washed and folded free of charge, as they didn't know whether they were clean or not. I was happy enough to have freshly laundered PJs (but had they been dry-clean only or shrinkable cotton, my clothes would have been ruined). The staff was trying to go the extra mile, though, and I appreciated the effort.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have weak wi-fi signal. Staff can provide a cable or you can request a room closer to t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Idu R, Gerente at Hotel Ciudad de David, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest.

First of all, we really appreciated that you took your time to let us know about your experience.
We don´t had the opportunity to answer you before because we just have the access to this tool now.

Your comments are very important for us. Thank´s to that we can improve and do better each day. Your feedback give us the opportunity to fix things that did not go so well and do better on the next step.

Thank you so much to share it with us.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I didn't like David as a city: hot, noisy, dusty and without charm. The hôtel was an amazing surprise. Spotless clean, nice swimming pool, great comfortable rooms, free internet, great breakfast buffet (better than the SPG chains) with smiling & attentive staff. A reference for Panama.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loverly4u2
Idu R, Gerente at Hotel Ciudad de David, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments.
We are updating our reviews now because we does not had the access before.

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Ciudad de David, even when you don´t had a good perception of the city.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I spent almost a week in Hotel Ciudad de David when it was snowing in Europe and did not regret it. Everything was fine. As pointed out by other reviewers, it is a pleasant surprise to find such a recent (3 years), modern, clean, comfortable and 100% functioning place in a city which looks somewhat provincial and seems not always the cleanest place on earth. The staff was just perfect, friendly and helpful. The room was spotless with safe, fridge and a spacious shower with the usual amenities. The free internet was functioning very well and I could skype family and friends without the slightest difficulty. The bed was smooth and nice with a lot of pillows, but should not be rated as king-size if it is intended for two. The a/c was very quiet and allowed a perfect sleep. I only missed a coffee-making utility for brewing a cup of tea in the evening before going to bed. Breakfast was generous and I liked the paintings in the restaurant. Good artistic level: they deserve a careful look. The swimming pool was OK, water rather cold and chlorinated (sea water at Playa la Barqueta was warmer and smelled… sea). Towels are provided free of charge. Plenty of free parking space was available in the first and second floors of the hotel. I did appreciate it as my rented car (from Panama City) was brand new, almost too shiny and hence could attract attention if parked in the street.

Driving around was no soooo difficult as some reviewers claim (so far Palermo in Sicily is my worst driving experience). The Panamanian driving practice is simply a bit different and one can adapt in a couple of minutes. People are in any case not nervous or aggressive. And police is helpful: once I got nearly lost in a little town in-between David and Panama City and asked my way to a nearby police car on duty. The policeman explained the way but it was a bit tricky and then decided "sigueme" (follow me). He started his car and brought me to the place I wanted to go, waving friendly to say goodbye. The major issue indeed is the scarcity of road signs with the exception of speed limits. In villages, look at schools, police and fire brigade stations: they often indicated the name of the place. At crossroads, directions are rarely provided: you have to guess or ask. Further in cities, a Google street map carefully printed beforehand proves of little use if many streets have no name signs. To make things worse, most have not only one, but often two names. For example in David, the "Ave 2da Este" (close to the Hotel) carries the sign "9 de Enero". You have to know it! Fortunately, Hotel Ciudad de David is taller than other buildings in the vicinity and has easily recognizable red structures on its walls.

Other reviewers have skillfully described the town of David. I would add that, opposite to the hotel entrance, there is a "Universidad Technologica" named Oteima. Pay a visit to the path leading to its parking lot: the ceiling displays an interesting exhibition about the work carried out around the "Sendero los Quetzales" linking Boquete and Cerro Punta, on the northern slope of Volca Baru.

There are several places to visit around David. I have to say that the drive through forests, hills and agriculture landscapes is often more interesting that the place itself. Watch for iguanas: they cross roads unexpectedly. I went several times playing in the surf at Playa la Barqueta where the sea water was warm and the beach most of the time only for me (beware currents, I was told, but did not notice them), found Boca Chica a cute little harbor and was touched by the decline of Puerto Armuelles, a former center of banana production. On the other hand, I was not particularly impressed by Boquete, but I am a spoiled Swiss, which may explain why. I did not visit the islands in the national marine park of the Golf of Chiriqui.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Claude-George

Dear Guest,

Thank so much for your comments.
We are updating our reviews now because we does not had the access before.

Personally I am really amazed with your feedback. It so complete and helpful for anyone. Thank you so much for taking your time to let us know about your week experience.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stayed at the Hotel Ciudad de David and the very good connection with the areas that we have. That´s help a lot to enjoy the mountains, the beach, the shopping and all the different attractions of the province.

We hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Your first impression of this hotel will be wow! Pristine lobby, guest rooms, dinning room and pool area. The staff is super friendly and helpful. We were extremely impressed with the overall feel and look of this hotel. The price was excellent and the location was perfect for us to walk around the city.
I would highly recommend Hotel Ciudad de David!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are updating our reviews now because we don´t had the access before. Sorry to take so long.

We are glad that you enjoy your stay at the Hotel Ciudad de David. Thank you to let us know about your experience. Hope to see you on your next visit to David.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel was absolutely perfect for our trip to David. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The rooms were large with high ceilings and a comfortable king size bed. The restaurant had a nice breakfast buffet with fresh cheese, fresh fruits, tortillas and very good coffee. The breakfast meats were a bit odd for me (except for bacon) with meatballs in sauce, Vienna sausages, salami, and chicken (varied by day). I would like to have seen egg white options such as egg white omelets or eggs to order as a part of the buffet. The restaurant in the evening featured slow service and a menu with limited selections. The waiting staff on the last evening of our visit had a crew of five with only one running from table to table attempting to serve everyone. Several guests including myself had to chase the one hard working person down to retrieve the check. As for the menu, my wife and I were not impressed with the choices which led us to eat most our meals at other restaurants in David. I suggest adding baked chicken, fresh seafood options such as corvina, and Panamanian classics such as arroz-con-pollo to the menu. Overall, our week long stay was very enjoyable and we will definitely return to Hotel Ciudad de David when we return to Panama.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelerplusmom
Idu R, Gerente at Hotel Ciudad de David, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

We only had the opportunity to answer our guests comments in the middle of this year. But, as every guest comments are important for us, we really would like to thank you for your feedback even before this time.

We want you make sure that we read that and share with our associates.

Will be a pleasure to receive you next time.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Ciudad de David and was very impressed. I felt like I was in another city. It reminded me somewhat of the Hotel ME in Madrid. I loved the service, music, the vibe, the attention to detail, the decor, the rooms, how clean it was, etc.

We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant and the food was very good too. The service was excellent, and they have done a good job training the staff and ensuring that they Hug the Customer! I also thought that the parking was very clean and safe.

I loved the view from my room on the 6th floor of David and the Volcan Baru in the morning!

Good job!

Room Tip: 6th floor, corner room with a view torwards the Volcan Baru.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We want you make sure that we read that and share with our associates.

Will be a pleasure to receive you next time.