All reviews private room tree house outdoor kitchen the owner the bus nice atmosphere swimming pool cold beer minute walk thanks guys nice pool hot springs keep an eye quick stop dorm beds long hot day huge supermarket
Reviewed November 6, 2014

Very very very nice garden!! We were planning to stay only one night, but were happily surprised by this hostel and very kind staff, so decided to stay another night. The garden has several hammocks, a nice pool, outdoor kitchen en beautiful trees. Our room was clean and the airco worked perfect. Great place to relax. For only 35cents you can get a bus to the city center.

Date of stay: November 2014
lapkin, Owner at Bambu Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2014

thanks for supporting us, and come back anytime.

Reviewed October 7, 2014

This hostels rooms were clean, comfortable and had air conditioning for a good price. The whole hostel was kept very clean. It has a great indoor/outdoor kitchen and bar on either side of a really nice little pool. The back yard is filled with plants and trees, birds and animals which made me feel like I was already out of the city. The bus to anywhere in David, or the border picks up just around the corner from Bambu. Also, across the street is a really good and inexpensive seafood restaurant.

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank CaciqueCruiser
lapkin, Owner at Bambu Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2014

thanks!!!
We created a hostel in David City with a pool and garden that feels like you are in nature. Swing in a hammock with a cold beer or a coke and a good book and watch the parrots fly over head, jump in the pool and repeat for as little as $11/night

We are a humble backpacker hostel, nothing too fancy, but we have been working hard to make it a special place. Come with a good attitude and we will match it, and do everything possible to make your stay GREAT! ask for me Gregg.

Reviewed October 6, 2014

The property was nice and the pool was welcoming, but not the most eye appealing facilities. The owner was friendly, his staff is not; they were always fully entrenched in some electronic device! The kitchen was filthy and no way to brew coffee which is a problem for a coffee junkie! None the less, there is a restaurant directly across the street which offer’s the terrific seafood. For $3.50 I had an enormous plate of fresh fish fillets with plantains; they were even open during a three hour power outage in David. It was difficult to find the hostel even with their directions; so, you may want to call once in David. Bambu Hostel is close to the David Airport for outbound flights.

Room tip: Stayed in the private room; it was spacious and the bed was comfortable.
Date of stay: September 2014
1  Thank Kelly M
lapkin, Owner at Bambu Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2014

thanks for the review as it is mostly positive. We have a big, awesome outdoor kitchen and dining area, fully equipped. Since Bambu is a busy hostel with sometimes 15 or so people cooking and eating at the same time, the kitchen can get messy, but then everyone lends a hand to clean it. So when you say that the kitchen is filthy, you are giving the impression that that is its permanent state, which is not true. Things get dirty then get clean again.

While It is also true that hostel are generally "basic places to sleep", Bambu has a luxury clean swimming pool, free wifi and computers, tour info, a pool side bar with $1 beers, laundry service, great cheap seafood restaurant in front of the hostel, hot water, cable tv, air conditioning etc. The amenities are more than "basic"

I am the owner so I lay on the friendly stuff thick. I love helping the guests. But please dont be so quick to judge the friendliness of my staff. Just because someone doesn't give you an "ear to ear" smile doesn't mean that they are not ready to help you. I have alot more skin in the game so I go the extra mile.

Reviewed September 2, 2014

I stumbled across the Bambu Hostel by accident, as I was traveling late one night in Panama. I'm sure glad I found this place. Folks from all over the world seem to know about this place. There were 6 Country's represented by the different guests that were there. I'm 54, white male, and from the USA. I was the oldest one there, and they all treated me like I was family. Very nice people, and happy to sit pool side with a cold drink , or cold beer, and trade world travel stories. I drove from Panama City,and was worn out tired when I arrived at 10.p.m.. The liveliness of this place quickly revitalized me, and we sat up talking till at least 2 a.m.. I enjoyed every minute of it. The hosts were also very cool, and accommodating, and hung out with the rest of us the whole time. Nothing fancy, but my private room was clean,with cold A/C, and a hot shower. I'll stay there again for sure, and would recommend the place to anyone seeking a casual, open air, out door/ tropical environment, and who enjoys talking with younger world travelers who were in their 20's and ,30's. They all seem to pitch in to make the place work. I was totally impressed with this cool little place.

Room tip: If you want to sleep early, I'd suggest to call and reserve a room near the entrance in advance, and make sure they know you want something quiet. If you enjoy sitting out doors talking with others until 1, 2,or 3, a.m., (as I did), any room, or dorm will do.
Date of stay: July 2014
2  Thank Joe J
lapkin, Owner at Bambu Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2014

True. Bambu is unique in the way we have a nice mix of people staying here. Young backpackers on a tight budget, to older people looking for property or medical services in Panama, lots of couples in their 30's etc
Many hostels have attract only 19 year old backpackers, but we are more of a mix.

We are not a wild party hostel per say, but people still have have fun times and drinks are flowing in our bar. We try to keep the noise under control, sometime we succeed and other time not. Its a hostel so you need to be flexible. If you are a person that must have absolute quiet, privacy, and comfort than a hotel might be better than a hostel for you.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Bambu Hostel is a great place to stop for a night, before you head to Bocas del Toro, Boquete, or Costa Rica, or to enjoy the pleasures that a small city like David has to offer (supermarkets, pharmacies and shops). Great kitchen with two hobs, a fridge and a huge table to have your dinner! Dorms are basic, but very nice and comfortable. I stayed a the jungle house without aircon, but dorms with ac are also available. You can chill by the pool, in a hammock, or having a drink in the bamboo bar playing football table. There is also a confi area with sofas where you can check internet or watch TV!The staff are very friendly and there is a nice atmosphere!

I will definitely come back!

Room tip: I've stayed at the jungle house dorm and loved it for only $11!
Date of stay: August 2014