“Business Hotel”
Review of Sand Diamond Hotel

Sand Diamond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Colon
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel in Colon for business, especially if you are entering the Free Trade Zone ( zona Libre) . The hotel is clean and the staff friendly. Many places to eat in the connected plaza. Hotel food is not so good but that is my opinion. If you bring the family the hotel has a large pool area and a nearby mall with taxi service for around $3.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Glenn T

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Four Points Colon for a couple of days of work. The staff was not only friendly but attentive to all my needs. The food was delicious and unique. I would recommend 100% the Four Points Colon, for those that want to have the best of both business and pleasure. A special thanks to the managers. Edgar, Osmy, Carlos and Luis.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank iamgmz
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Spent one night here while passing through Colon. It is a bit soulless, however it is clean and the staff were helpful. Breakfast was fine with a reasonable selection of local and International fare. Probably the best hotel available in the area but one night is probably enough.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Newtonbully
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Limit accommodation in this area, rooms ok but had probelms with my door lock, battery failed and even after it had been replaced it failed again leaving my door unlocked !!!. Restaurant is ok and has the variaty expected, it has a swimming pool but I didn't go in and didn't see anybody in it all week, gym is good with some nice views of the canal. Only there on business. Amused by the volume of food that people can eat at the buffet.

Overlooking the main road which had 24hour roadworks at the time, but this is not the hotels fault.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking at the main road unless all contruction work is completed. I would go for th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TerryH307
Suzanne D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sand Diamond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Mr. Terry H:

Receive a cordial greeting of all the great family of the Four points by Sheraton Colon.

We thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey and leave us your valuable evaluation.

Your comments are very important for the improvement of our services. They have been transmitted to the Maintenance Department so they know your concern and we can make the correctives.

We offer apologies if we caused some discomfort. Our intention is to make you feel at home away from home and receive the care they deserve.

We look forward to your visit again, to offer an excellent service, quality and friendliness that we offer.

Very truly Yours,

Suzanne Daisley
Quality Assurance Manager

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed several times at this hotel, and it could be a better hotel....Checking in is a breeze. Front desk are cordial and professional... Some lack of English but they do ok. Breakfast buffet can be better, excellent fresh fruit but the fresh juice and taste a bit watery.. They forget to keep the breakfast food warm.The pool area needs a bit of maintenance. No trashcans outside the perimeter of the pool or green/grass area. People go outside and smoke and there are no ashtrays or trash bins. Not enough lights around the pool area at night. Bed mattress is excellent; you will get a good night sleep...Bathroom is spacious, but make sure the hot water is working... sometimes you have to let it run for 10 minutes to get a bit of warm water for your shower... well that is what the front desk tells you to do, which I think is a waste of water.....Make sure you buy a calling card from the pharmacy around the shopping center of any supermarket... it will be cheaper to make local and long distance calls....

Easy access to the free zone from the hotel... They will even process a pass/access to the free zone for you... It take 5 mins if you go in the am to request the pass.

The hotel is in a shopping center with different options to eat besides the restaurant at the hotel...there is a Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Cinnabon, Pizza Place, Nikko's café (variety of food and sandwiches and desserts), Mommy's bakery, there is a spa/hair salon (very reasonable $$).

Another shopping center about a 5 minute taxi ride, where there are other stores for great shopping, eateries such as: Popeye's, Subway to name a few and a supermarket.. Cab ride can cost you $2.00 one way to his shopping center to the hotel.. Not bad at all.

Plan your trips ahead of time as traffic can slow you down a bit. There are constructions on highways, therefore congestion can get hectic... Just make sure you ask for the high traffic times.

I had a cab driver, his name is Andres, very nice, honest individual, professional, trustworthy and very responsible ... His #673-242-81. He will charge you what is right... Will not overcharged you.

Overall is bearable, but like I said, it could be better...
To me is just an average hotel...

Next time, I will take pictures..

Room Tip: rooms on higher floor have less noise.. This time I stayed on the 3rd Floor - front and could hear a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GGC2010

Dear Mr. GGC2010:

Your comments are very important for the improvement of our services. They have been transmitted to the General Managent, so they know your concern and we can make the correctives.

Very truly Yours,

Suzanne Daisley
Quality Assurance Manager

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Hotel is in a bad area.Armed security guards on the gate and at reception.The only helpful person on reception was the supervisor,none of the other staff were interested.The porter was very good taking the bags for us ,and showing us the facilities in the room.The room and bathroom were a good size,but definitely not the cleanest I have stayed in.
Breakfast was cold and not a very good selection.Had to ask several times for coffee,the waitresses were standing around talking amongst themselves.I did not feel safe stepping outside of the Hotel,even though it was a Sunday and hardly anyone around apart from security guards.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ryanspops
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Let me first say that the The Sheraton property is really nice. The hotel itself is between a 4-5 star, especially being in Colon. However, while I was there the air conditioner in my room started to leak and began to flood my room. They first sent a maid up to clean it and I refused her service, as I thought it was important for a manager to see it first. The manager eventually came up and he was actually very professional and nice and switched me to another room plus a free night's stay. However, the new room he put me in had no hot water in the shower and the thermostat in the room was not working. So in short, I was freezing and without hot water. I think they purposely gave me a defected room because it was free the second night. I didn't even bother complaining. Finally at check-out, there was only one person working the counter and it literally took me one hour to check out, due to the long line and only one employee working the front desk. While the hotel property is very nice, my stay at the Sheraton Colon, was not the best.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank GorjessTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colon
Radisson Colon 2000 Hotel & Casino
#1 of 1 in Portobelo
Marina Hotel at Shelter Bay
Marina Hotel at Shelter Bay
#1 of 1 in Fort Sherman

Been to Sand Diamond Hotel? Share your experiences!