“Short dives since schedule was more important”
Review of Bocas Water Sports

Bocas Water Sports
Reviewed July 24, 2012

It's sad to note that this shop rarely has dives beyond 40 to 45 minutes since they are so focused on getting back to the dive shop on time. They use Scubapro gear, which is a plus, but not if they won't let competent divers use the air the paid for. They will also tell you that all dive shops have short dives, which is not true. La Buga Dive shop will let you dive at least 60 to 70 min on your tank if you are within the safety guidelines of the dive. Dive with La Buga for better service.

There are newer reviews for Bocas Water Sports

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I dove with Bocas Water Sports last week while in Isla Colon. I already knew I could trust the company, mainly because it is the ONLY 5-star PADI dive operator in all of Bocas del Toro. I learned through reading other tripadvisor forum comments, that their competitor, Starfleet Scuba, is no longer a PADI recognized dive operator. There is another PADI recognized (I don't know how many stars) dive operator named La Buga right next door, but it is fairly new and I didn't know if I felt safe diving with a new company, if you know what I mean.

So I met John, who is in charge and books the dive sites and basically runs the place. He was very helpful in many aspects while I visited Bocas (I went by myself). He would give me helpful info anywhere from the dive conditions of the various dive sites in Bocas to which restaurants he recommends for great burgers, good fish, etc.

I did a 2-tank dive and it was $60, including all taxes, etc which I think was totally reasonable! Leandro was my divemaster and I felt very safe with him. He was very professional and at one point we saw a NURSE SHARK resting under a bed of coral and he attempted to touch the tail! When he got very close, the shark immediately swam up and out of the coral and escaped! It was an amazing experience:)

I highly recommend diving with BWS. There really is no other option to ponder about:)

3  Thank fhk202
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I, along with another couple took a quick overnight trip to Bocas Del Toro while vacationing in Costa Rica. While there we went diving with Bocas Water Sports team. These guys were great! The price was right and the rental equipment was in excellent shape. Leandro was our Divemaster. We also had Modesto on our dive. They were both more than capable. All of us felt very safe with them. I would definitely use this company again.

3  Thank Scott S
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We got a good tip to call on John in Bocas Water Sports to arrange a trip round nearby islands and get in some snorkelling.We had already tried another outfit of which there are many ,all apparently offering the same basic package for the same cost. With that experience we can happily say the the BWS approach was much nicer and had real added value. John is seriously laid back to the point that it was an uphill struggle to get him to push his products,a sharp contrast from the competing hustlers !On the day of our trip we were to be in a group of six,made clear to us from the outset,but the other four didn't show.Rather than cancel or send us elsewhere John rejigged the plans to send two of us off with an experienced and helpful guide Modesto,for the same per person price as the group tour.We had a tremendous day in the hands of a company equally careful with our safety as with the environment - a visible difference from other operators.Support this guy he is one of the good ones.

2  Thank RancherDublin
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This PADI certified dive company was excellent. At most, you would have 4 or 6 divers on a boat. I totally love that. Our diver master was awesome and she dove with my husband and I for all three days we were diving. John, the owner, is an American expat who is a real hoot and had our safety in mind when he made sure that his boats didn't go to the areas where the weather was not conducive to diving (waves too high). I was disappointed we didn't go to Zapatillos but glad that John was cautious about the conditions.

The diving is very, very economical on this island. We dove for about $60 for a two tank dive. Awesome!

When I go back I'll dive with Bocas Water Sports again.

3  Thank MsBoice