“Terrific spot in the Cloud Forest”
Review of Finca Lerida

Finca Lerida
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Boquete
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Finke Lerida for a couple of days last week actually we scheduled 1 day and loved it so much we stayed two.

The rooms were really cute, well furnished, clean, very comfortable beds, huge showers with plenty of hot water and throw in a wonderful view! Our room had sky TV and a large flat screen tv.

The trails above the lodge were well groomed and offered fantastic views of the coffee finke and surrounding country. The waterfall hike was also enjoyable as the trail was carefully cut right out of the forest. Great walk!

The number of hummingbirds blew us away. We sat for hours and watched them just outside our room. Good bird watching

The restaurant was very good. Surprisingly since you are a captive audience but we both thought the food was high quality and very well presented. We had exceptional service from Noemi and Nicanor. They both looked after us like family.

The service we found to be outstanding. From the time we arrived we were greeted by thye receptionist in a very friendly and welcoming manner, were driven to our room and helped with our bags.

We have been on numerous coffee tours in other countries but we decided to do another one with at Finke Lerida. We were introduced to Cesaer. OMG it was the very best coffee tour and the most informative. If you do go to this finke be sure to take the coffee tour with Cesaer. We learned so much and Casaer really knows coffee!.

To those folks that have written notes complaining about the staff not speaking perfect English. Get real your in a country that speaks Spanish not English and maybe you should choose a vacation in North America next time!!! Everyone of the staff members we met was friendly, helpful and courteous.

Would we recommend this to friends You BETCHA!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Let me start off that I was traveling alone and did not have a car. That had quite a big impact on my review. But there were other issues too. If you do not have a car, I do not recommend staying here because you are stuck and they only have 1 restaurant and 1 bar and they close at 10 PM. If you are looking to be isolated, this place might be a good fit.

Finca Lerida is a coffee plantation or farm about 15 minutes outside of central Boquete or what I would call the main part for a tourist where all of the restaurants and stores are. It is not a big city but at least it gives you options. I had two different guides on hikes that I did and both said that there was a better hotel near town with a golf course where you could walk to the restaurants and stores. They said that Finca Lerida is more for older couples and newlyweds.

Here is a synopsis of my opinions of the resort before going into detail:
1. Too far from the city.
2. Limited to no wifi in the hotel rooms. No cellular data coverage for me either.
3. Many, many insects in the rooms.
4. Only 1 restaurant and 1 bar, each with limited offerings and they close at 10 PM.
5. Nice big plot of land that you can hike around.
6. If you are looking for peace and quiet, this place might be for you.

So my stay at Finca Lerida was problematic. I was first put in room 11. At first glance, it was rustic but fine...until I took a shower. The bathrooms look redone and seem good but after I took a shower I noticed the entire bathroom floor was flooded and it started going into the bedroom. I checked to make sure I closed the shower door and I did. It just leaked. So, I soaked up the water with 4 towels. Next, I like to be able to read on my iPad. They have hammocks outside of all of the rooms so I laid down on mine and tried to use my iPad. Unfortunately, their wifi does not reach all of the rooms so I could not read my iPad while laying in the hammock. I had to go to the bar or restaurant to do so. I also had the international plan on my iPhone and I could not get cellular data there either. So things weren't going so well. When I returned from the bar to go to bed, there were a lot of bugs on my door. I shooed as many away as I could before opening my door. Unfortunately about `10 followed me in anyway, including some flying beetle thing. I killed abut half of the bugs but the beetle and some others were around. Well, the beetle would buzz about every 3 hours during the night and wake me up. I did not sleep well and after I woke up in the morning, I was able to track down the beetle and kill him.

To their credit, the next day Finca Lerida changed my room to a junior suite. They had packed my lunch for a hike up Valcun Baru and the yogurt was somehow open and got all over everything in the lunch so they apologized and upgraded me. The suite was better but I didn't need it. It had a fireplace and was bigger than the normal rooms. My second night of sleep was better except in the morning after I got ready, a spider about 1 inch in diameter came crawling on my pillow. And finally, I spent my third night with a dragonfly buzzing around my room. I could not reach him because of the high ceilings, which is a good feature unless you want to get a dragonfly out of your room. And I had a second spider the last night, very similar to the spider I killed the previous day.

I just don't think Finca Lerida was right for me. If you don't like bugs or like to be closer to a city, I would skip this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Steve H
Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a great place to get away from the crowd and enjoy peace and great hospitality, great food, outstanding views and warm accommodations. The staff at this coffee plantation are the best, they greeted us warmly even though we arrived late in the evening and even fixed us a late meal. The restaurant is small and so is the entire facility, and that is what makes it all the more worth the stay, private and quiet. Lots of coffee bean groves to roam for pleasant afternoon walks.

Room Tip: Can not go wrong with any of the rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank James O
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I had this place almost all to ourselves for his 60th birthday trip. Absolutely loved waking to the birds singing every morning. The flowers and grounds were beyond beautiful. We had breakfast on the deck with a hummingbird every morning and terrific dinners with lovely wine in the restaurant by candle light in the evenings. Loved sitting on our own porch overlooking the entire stunning place. And any day a bartender walks outside to pick fresh mint for your mojito, you will get a thumbs up from me. Enjoyed every minute we were there!

Room Tip: Ask for the best view. You will have to walk up and down the hill but so worth it and you get your e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debrahawkins
Reviewed May 22, 2014

A short drive from David on a modern road. Drive through the town of Boquete and up the mountain. The directions could have been a little more clear but with a little roadside inquiry it was okay. Pretty well marked once you get there. The road is not for the faint of heart.

The grounds are beautiful and like other quest comments lots of birds in many sizes and colors. Lots of hummingbirds. We did the coffee plantation tour. (The hotel is part of it.) A little expensive but fun.

Had lunch and dinner. At lunch we sat on the veranda and saw many birds as they have a feeding station right below. The food was very good and the staff attentive. Too bad the bar wasn't open. Nothing to do around their at night and at least for the first time we weren't going to brave the drive down to Boquete and back up the mountain.

Room Tip: The bungalow styles are nice and a little more spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richsan51
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Finca Lerida for 3 nights in early April, 2014. The setting is gorgeous---up at the secluded end of a valley with lush, green views in every direction. The grounds were immaculately maintained and our room (a junior suite) and its bathroom were clean and spacious. Service was excellent, from the front desk to the restaurant. Birding was good right around the rooms and restaurant; there, we saw many species including Green Violetear, Scintillant Hummingbird, Magnificant Hummingbird, White-throated Thrush, Ruddy-capped Nightingale-Thrush, Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush, Slaty Flowerpiercer, Flame-colored Tanager, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Our first morning there, we birded the facility’s trails with Finca Lerida’s fantastic guide Cesar Caballero, who has a 4-year college degree in Ecological Tourism and knows all the birds not only by sight, but by call, song, and behavior as well. With him we saw many new birds for us including White-throated Mountain-Gem, Violet Sabrewing, White-tailed Emerald, Resplendent Quetzal, Blue-throated Toucanet, Black-faced Solitaire, Mountain Elaenia, Dark Pewee, Yellowish Flycatcher, and Red-faced Spinetail. All in all, it was a wonderful stay in a gorgeous location.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed as part of a tour of Central America and loved it as the area around the hotel is beautiful, with good walking trails and lovely scenery. The coffee plantation tour and tasting was very interesting. They sell coffee beans to Fortnum and Mason's in London at £40 for a 125gm. very exclusive tin!!!!! The coffee served at breakfast. lunch and dinner is excellent too. Our room hadn't been updated but was very pleasant surrounded by lovely gardens and just up from the restaurant. Beware if you have mobility problems as the site is steep and spread out. The restaurant food was good but the staff were rushed off their feet, resulting in quite long waits. Breakfast was quite good by Central American standards and the views from the restaurant are spectacular.

Room Tip: Get one near to the restaurant as it is very spread out.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends