“Great Value, Clean rooms and a wonderful restaurant!”

El Oasis Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Boquete
Buellton, Calif.
“Great Value, Clean rooms and a wonderful restaurant!”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We have stayed six or seven times at El Oasis, and would not consider staying anywhere else! Usually we have a regular room, which are basic, but clean and well worth the price. For this trip,we had grandma with us who is 86, we booked a suite and it was amazing! We too were there for the Fair and I agree, it can get a bit loud and stay that way until about 5 in the morning, but we KNEW that when we booked the room. Should have just brought ear plugs!

You should note that the breakfast is NO longer included in the room rate. I think it ran about five bucks per person, and we did eat there a few times, but mostly we cooked our own in our suite. Suite 3 was more than ample for the three of us. Nice to be able to make your own coffee, meals or snacks right there. Really nice views from the balcony of the Fairgrounds and the river Caldera.

The staff here, although most are limited English speaking, are VERY kind and helpful. All you need to do is ask, and they will try their best to make it happen. Each time we go back, they have added something new!! I was told that they are finished with the building now, but time will tell!

PLEASE note that as you come over the bridge ( the great landmark for the town) and turn right to get to El Oasis, the first building you come to is now home to the Boquete Community Players! (BCP) They put on delightful plays in English and if you happen to be in town, try to attend one of the shows. They are really fun!

Lastly, the restaurant here is amazing! The shrimp cocktail alone keeps me coming back for more!! The bar is nice and the cocktails worthy of the price. They close early (8pm?) weeknights so plan to get there earlier for dinner. However, Boquete does have MANY nice places to eat, depending on your likes and budget.

Hope this helps someone to select El Oasis! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank just...d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My experience with El Oasis Hotel began well before we stayed there. Some friends of our family had lived at El Oasis (they have apartments for rent as well as single rooms) for a month a few years ago and said it was a great place to stay. They said the rooms were basic but clean and very close to town. Hearing this, I immediately emailed El Oasis about a room in January for my husband, myself, our 1 year old daughter, and my Mother. I noticed on their policies they said they did not accept children under 10. I asked them if they were able to make an exception, but understood if they could not. Marianela responded within 48 hours and told me that they would be happy to make an exception for our daughter. I emailed back and forth with Marianela for the next month or so. She let me know that they are right next to the fairgrounds and the weekend we were originally planning on staying at the hotel was the annual flower and coffee festival. She said the music could be quite loud playing all through the night and into the morning hours and that it may be too loud for a baby. With this information, we asked her to change our booking to the weekend before. She was very helpful and accommodating!!
Once we did arrive in Boquete, we visited some gardens and did a coffee tour before we headed to El Oasis for our 2pm check in. El Oasis really is the only hotel in town (in walking distance). We checked in and were shown to our room. Just like our friends had said, it was a very basic hotel room, 2 double beds, shower with hot water, small TV on the wall, etc. One thing we did notice right away was that there was no air-conditioning unit (something we had come accustomed to having while living in Panama City). But the truth is, you do not need an air conditioning unit in Boquete. You can open your window during the day/night and really, the ceiling fan actually made it feel kind of chilly at night! The room was very clean (and kept that way through our entire stay)...cleaner than some of the more expensive hotels we'd stayed in during other trips in Panama. Breakfast was included each morning, but unfortunately we were only able to get breakfast our last morning there seeing how breakfast starts and 8am and that is what time all of the tour groups start their tours as well. When we did get breakfast it was outside on a patio, surrounded by a garden. It was great food, although you may have to wait a little while for everything to come out. (But if you've been in Panama for awhile, you'd realize this is typical). The last night we were there, we decided to eat dinner at the restaurant at the hotel. Our friends said it was good food so we decided to give it a try. There are numerous rooms you can sit in for dinner...we sat under what looked like a covered patio with a fireplace. It was perfect for having a 1 year old because we could easily walk her around the property when she got fussy! While it was a little pricier than we expected, I still think the fish I had there was the best I'd had during our entire time in Boquete! While I had to leave the restaurant early to put my daughter to sleep, my husband and mother ordered some delicious deserts (tres leches cake and cheesecake with a berry sauce). The waitress let them take the desserts back up to the common area of the hotel just as long as they promised to bring the plates back. The common area has some couches, chairs, a coffee table, a small TV set, a refrigerator, and some books. Our room was at the end of the hallway from this common area so it was a perfect place for us to hang out after putting our little one to sleep. We bought some wine and beers from the local market and used the refrigerator to keep them cold. All in all, we had a really great experience at El Oasis!

If you are someone who is used to hotels like Marriott, Hilton, etc., just know that these hotel rooms do not have dressers, refrigerators (although there is one for everyone to share in the common area), or even safes. We wished there was a safe, but just ended up taking our really important things (wallets, passports, cash, etc) with us. You will also need to bring your own shampoo/conditioner or buy some at the local market as we did because that is not provided. They do provide small bars of soap. Oh, and one other precaution...don't leave food laying around near the window! We left some goldfish our daughter had dropped on the floor on the nightstand in front of the window and when we got back from our morning tour, there were tons of Argentine ants trying to carry it away! We didn't have any ant/insect issues other than that one instance!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank annieb848
Santa Barbara
Reviewed January 15, 2012

You will love the breakfast choices. In a garden setting. All meals delicious. Friendly staff. Sweet. Went the extra mile for us. Yummy dinner and lunch as well. We went during el fiery or the fair. Saturday night ...ver noisy...but this was only one night in January. You will enjoynthensuite 6 for $110 out the door with breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't stay here during the fair....unless you sleep like a rock....la musica.m
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vegirard
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon. The place was nice, although our room was very basic. It was a downstairs room with a little window looking into the carport- could have been better. The only issue really was that the bathroom was not particularly clean upon out arrival, the shower floor looked as if it hadn't been properly cleaned in awhile and there was still hair from the last person. The room was basic with almost no decoration. Staff were friendly and helpful, and breakfast was great and filling, served on an outdoor covered patio with a beautiful view of the garden. It is just over the bridge and about a 5 minute walk to the center of town which was great. There is also an outdoor balcony area with a hammock that I made use of a lot, with beautiful views overlooking the river and mountains. I would recommend this place for convenience and location, however it probably would be best to get a different room- we were on a budget so I'm sure ours was the most minimal of rooms available.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs room, and not the cheapest- ours was dark with no views and very plain but we cho...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tiburon, CA
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed with our two adult children. Our room was great... a double bed and bathroom on the upper level and two twin beds on the lower level with a balcony on each and a full kitchen. The room was basic, but comfortable and clean. The location is great... just a short walk across the river to the center of town. The breakfasts were included and we especially appreciated the over 10 species of birds that alighted by our table to partake in the fresh fruit placed on the feeder for them... my son said he saw more birds at breakfast than he did in two months in Monteverde, Costa Rica.

The service at the front desk, with the breakfast staff and with the maids was accomodating. Our only complaint was that dinner at the restaurant did not meet our expectations. The service was poor and the food was very mediocre.

For people who are light sleepers, note that the hotel is right by the river. The sound of the rapids coupled with the howling winds that characterized our stay in December may not be soothing to all ears.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ankiandlarry
Portland, OR
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The cheapest option here is Suite 6. One bedroom, nice kitchen, big LCD tv, balcony with great views. What is great about this place is the location. On the river - you can sleep with the balcony door open (there is a screen door) and fall asleep to the sound of the river. Warning: you will be awakened by a very sick sounding rooster! Sometimes at 3am sometimes at 6am.... his croaky, pitiful call will either make you laugh or make you curse! Everything is close by and the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Go for a suite.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Algotomar
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed December 25, 2011

On Thursday December 22, 2011 I spent one night at the El Oasis in Boquete Panama. My stay was great! The price of my room with tax included was $88.00 Total, which included a tasty complimentary breakfast.

My room itself was clean, but a little bit "tired". For dinner I enjoyed a great steak at the hotel's restaurant for only Twelve bucks after my Pensionado discount. Panama Pensionados like me get to enjoy discounts at restaurants, hotels, airfares, etc, etc, etc - Life is certainly GREAT for me here in the Republic of Panama!

It rains quite a bit in Boquete, Panama & anyone who tells you other wise - is not telling you the truth. During my stay of only one night, it rained a large part of the night. However, I was able to savor & enjoy the sound of the Caldera River - right near by & in the morning I was able to experience what is known as BahaRicky - I'm not sure of the correct spelling of BahaRicky since word for this phenomenon is unique to Panama. Basically what this is = a mist in the air... not really rain, because the sun is shining (well sort of anyway) AND also I was lucky & blessed to be treated to a GIANT Boquete Panama rainbow - pictured here. WOW!

El Oasis has very nice gardens and an attentive staff.

So come to Panama & enjoy the rainbows... and maybe even the BahaRicky!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo