“Paradise close to town”
Review of Isla Verde Hotel

Isla Verde Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Boquete B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I adored our time in Boquete, and it's mostly because of Isla Verde. The grounds are beautiful; the accommodations lovely, clean and comfortable (the king bed was GREAT, and we're picky); and the location perfection. It's a very easy and safe walk (3 mins. tops) to the main part of town, but still isolated, quiet and oasis-like.

Delicious breakfasts in the little outside rotunda were a highlight, as was the friendly and helpful service from every single person we met there. Both of us felt like we could spend a month (or more) here in total comfort, and to me that's the ultimate compliment... now that we're back home, I still wake up wishing I could hear the nearby stream. Some reviews mentioned road noise, but I don't see how that would even be possible... it was quiet and blissful. We'll be back, and we'll be staying at Isla Verde!

Room Tip: We would chose Sark again in a heartbeat - big comfy bed + beautiful view and sounds of the stream f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Isla Verde Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We loved our ¨roundhouse¨. The place is not only clean, but surrounded by peaceful gardens and set on a river bank. Staff was very cordial and best of all, we would walk to town in 3 blocks. You do need a taxi or car if you need to go further, but we would definitely come back. There was nothing that we didn´t enjoy. You can even get a massage. Recommend

Room Tip: Look for the bright yellow roofs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed five weeks in Boquete. We participated in a Spanish immersion program at Habla Ya. Isla Verde is within easy walking distance of the school. We stayed in a suite with great amenities including a kitchen with up to date appliances. We were able to have our laundry taken care of. We were able to choose the frequency of cleaning. The staff was warm and friendly. It was definitely a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Isla Verde was a wonderful highlight of my trip. . Sabine and staff were exceptionnally accomadating.
The breakfast out side was delightful. The rooms were kept clean and fresh linens everyday.
I would totally recommend this lovely property.

Room Tip: The suites on the corner ,lovely breezes , balcony plus hammock
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a month at the lovely Isla Verde hotel in Boquete, Panama.
We were enrolled in language school and needed a place to stay which was convenient to the school, and which would have a kitchen. Isla Verde is a collection of charming yurt-like bungalows set among beautifully maintained and landscaped grounds. The staff, especially Sabina and Patricia, were extremely accommodating and helpful. We felt very welcome throughout our stay. Although Boquete is not a big town, it can be quite busy. Isla Verde is only a few blocks of the Main Street, but feels worlds away. Loved it so much we have already booked our bungalow for next winter!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
sosoBoquete, Manager at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you so much for this lovely review Clint, I can really say that I appreciate to meet you and Jennifer here at Isla Verde! So, we will see us next year then:-)) Take Care! Sabine

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I understand the comments of many of the reviewers - the setting is gorgeous no doubt, with lovely painted cottages set amidst pretty lawns and fantastic birds flying everywhere - particularly hummingbirds. And it's true that the rooms are attractive and generally clean.

But one glaring defect turned us off in a big way: the complete lack of a hot water shower. The water just dribbled out, and went back and forth between scalding and freezing. After a day of hiking in the cloud forest, this was not good. When we complained about the problem we were told that it is a structural problem having to do with the water system being centralized and originally intended for less than half the number of cabins it currently supports, so if it's low (as it is now because of a seasonal shortage of rain in Boquete), it cannot be fixed. We confirmed with another guest (who in general loved the place) that they had had the same problem.

I have roughed it many times in my life - stayed in hostels and small villages for extended periods on several occasions - but never for $70/night, let alone for $90/night, which is what we would have paid had they not, to their credit, given us a $20 discount after we complained. More than the money though, I was left asking myself this: if they knew of the problem in advance, why not say something? I just don't think you can run what purports to be (and in many ways is) a full service hotel and not have functioning hot showers.

If not for this, we would probably have given a largely positive review - Patricia was friendly, kindly did our jungle-dirty laundry for a reasonable price - the river is lovely, the fruit trees charming, the birds incredible.

But I think the same can be said for other places in Boquete that charge about the same price or less, but that will get you a hot shower if you want it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alan A
Reviewed April 20, 2013

After a few days in Panama city, the traffic, lots of people, the hustle and the heat.
We travelled to Boquette, we arrive late in the eveninig.Our cab driver took us from David, the second largest city in Panama to Boquette, we had no hotel reservations.
The very nice cab driver once aware we did not have reservations, stopped and ask a local couple whom were out for an evening stroll, what hotel would they recommend. So we landed in Isla Verde,the cab driver beep his horn. ( in Panama beeping your horn means everithing,in this case the night shift hotel manager awoke and greeted us with a "hola amigos". He had rooms available, he took us to our room and stated we could take care of accomodation payment the next morninig.
WOW the next morninig when we woke up to the sound of what appeared to be 100 birds singing to a beautiful day, we thought caramba !!! where are we?, in someones private retreat, in a park, a botanical garden and eco lodge ? NO, as we discovered later, we landed in Isla Verde hotel, wonderfull place, birds, a river outside our room, banana,lemon and pinepple trees and incredable number of very bright and colorful flowers.No traffic, no conference rooms, no elevators, very peacefull. We spent three nights / four days in Boquette.The place will remain in our memories forever. A place which in on our list to return to one day. You place your breakfast order the night before, we wondered why, the hotel staff stated, they purhase fresh ingredients the night before and cook it for us the next day, absolutely delicious. The room was huge with large panoramic windows everywhere,even in the bath room. Very private, you can shower and whatch the river flow down below. We would recommend this hotel to all our friends.
To the staff = Gracias for the friendship and all the extras. We will miss you.
Lisa from Chicago & Stephen from Venezuela. PS: Happy birthday to Sabina. (The manager)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa B
sosoBoquete, Manager at Isla Verde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Hello Lisa and Stephen! Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I really appreciate and I think we had quite some fun:-)) You are really special people and I loved to have you here with us! Take Care and maybe we will see us once in life again! Sabine