“3 Lost Waterfalls of Bojo Mona”

The Lost Waterfalls-Boquete
Ranked #6 of 48 things to do in Boquete
More attraction details
Owner description: The Lost Waterfalls is a moderate to difficult hike through the cloudforest in western Panama to three fabulous waterfalls. The hike can take from one to three hours round trip depending on how many waterfalls you want to see. If you are lucky you may spot sloths, monkeys, quetzals or any number of the fascinating wildlife living in the cloudforest.
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The Lost Waterfalls hike exceeded expectations, but it seems very obscure for no good reason. The water is beautiful. The forest is dense with flowers and vines. The views are great. It's a good alternative to the Volcun Baru National Park.

This is a hike through the rain forest that follows a small river up the mountain cascading in 3 waterfalls. The hike originates in the Bojo Mona region, north of Boquete. It is on private property and there is $5 per person charge. I don't know what their hours are but a person was present midday to accept our money. More about this below.

This hike is up a mountain and it's hard. This is not something to do in the dark or poor weather. Bring water and camera but not too much to carry. You could picnic but be prepared to carry everything in and out. There was pleasantly no litter (unlike the rest of Panama) and very small amounts or tree/rock graffiti. One regret was that we didn't see any birds or wildlife to speak of. Maybe you have to go early morning for that.

Initially, we only saw this on Trip Advisor and thought it would be easy to find details on the internet. That is not the case. The Boquete vistors center was no help either. They seem to encourage gringos to take a tour for $50+ per person and learning only via your guide. I'm sure that's great but we really wanted to do this ourselves.

We drove north out of Boquete on Main Street. Took the right fork out of town and followed this single-lane two-way road (slowly for about 4 km) until we saw a sign for 3 Lost Waterfalls with a right arrow and 1.2 km distance indicated. We parked thinking it was pointing to a driveway, but this is a shared access road for several farms (Fincas). You can drive this 1.2 km distance to another small sign at a gravel path to walk through some private property. There was a canopy tour sign on the way to the hiking path and We eventually crossed a small suspension bridge followed by a climb up to a bluff (approx 1 km total). This was pretty steep but only an introduction to the path and still not in the forest. At the top of the bluff is a brand new cabin, outhourse and not-so-new concession stand. This is where you pay and get a brief Spanish and English description of the hike plus a view of a hand sketched map.

The waterfalls are somewhat equal distance apart and with their own challenges, but generally each is a little harder to climb. If you are visiting all three, you are advised to skip the first waterfall and proceed to the second, catching the first on your way back by taking a shortcut (but very steep) climb down from higher on the path. Generally the path is obvious with either primitive handrails, cut steps, roots, stone steps or even a few ropes. The three waterfalls are similar but distinct. The second and third falls are accessible to stand under or very near with the second hosting a small cave that we didn't enter past one step. The first fall has a few benches made from tree trunks for resting. The falls are 15 to 30 minutes apart but seemed to require a 15 minute break at each just to catch our breath. Budget 2 hours plus 20 minutes each way back to your car with appropriate hiking energy for the return.

Enjoy.

in 4 reviews
"decent shape"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We are avid walkers and occasional hiker. We go for walks of 10 – 12 KM at least once a week summer and winter. For those Canadians familiar with Algonquin Park, we have hiked I believe every trail. When we read the reviews about the Lost Waterfalls we got the impression that reaching the first two waterfalls as a relatively easy hike. We reach both the first and second waterfall and after talking to some younger people, ho mentioned ropes to get down to the third waterfall we, decided against attempting the third waterfalls. We found the hikes to be certainly doable by anyone in reasonably good shape however the hike is fairly strenuous. Going there it is mostly uphill with some very steep portions. To reach the first two waterfalls, from where you leave the road will be a couple of hours. Also even though the altitude provides some temperature relief it is still in the mid 20’s and with the humidity in the low 30’s. So bring water!
The hike is well worth doing, but we just to pass along that it is not a walk in the park. For an easier hike, which is very scenic you can try Finca Lerida.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I'm sure I chose this outing because it was listed as a nature walk. Our guide was delightful and took our little group of 4 for a scenic drive to the beginning of this 'walk.' It was a very steep, slippery, uphill hike with poor, rickety railings for support. I was getting cranky and especially when Christian told us we had much more of the same to reach even the FIRST of three waterfalls. We arrived at a clearing where the tour guide paid $5 each on our behalf to cross into the native lands. I chose to stay at the clearing and wandered around the adorable little mountain cabin which is available for rent. The terrain was so steep even at this clearing that I had to be very careful of my footing just walking around taking pictures of flowers, scenery and birds. The scenery was beautiful. We were in the "Cloud Forest" and it was very damp and the sky was dull. Going down was easier than the ascent, but still required attention to where you step next. The other couple with us, and Christian, were all very tolerant of my age and speed. This 'walk' needs to be more clearly described. While I was sitting in the clearing on a cute little bench, a woman my age was lagging behind her daughter and looking as if she were in trouble. I told her that I had quit...she said she 'couldn't' and looked ahead to her daughter. It is definitely a 'walk' for the very fit...and not much to see at the end to make it worthwhile.

burtondogs, Owner at The Lost Waterfalls-Boquete, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

I'm so sorry that you did not have a better day going to The Lost Waterfalls. We pride ourselves on our hike into the cloudforest. and almost everyone loves it. In fact, we have only had 2 negative reviews since we have been on tripadvisor. The first reviewer complained about the $5 entrance fee and then I read yours. I have to say that I don't think that your review was very fair. You stated that The Lost Waterfalls is listed as an easy walk when that is just not the case. It is listed on the website as a strenuous and sometimes difficult hike, not a walk. It is also listed on Trip Advisor above as a moderate to difficult hike.. As far as I know, it is not listed anywhere as an easy walk. There are also potos and videos showing the hike on Facebook.
I know that you went on a guided tour with Christian, who is a very nice person, but , as a guide, it is his responsibilty to talk to you before the hike and explain to you the degree of difficulty and to ascertain whether or not you are up to it. I noticed on another of your reviews that you are 71 years old and that should have given Christian even more reason to ask you about your previous hiking experience. We get every age hiker, but they have to be used to hiking.
I also thought that it was unfair to give us a por rating when you didn't even see any of the waterfalls. There is another hike fairly close to The Lost Waterfalls that has a waterfall and offers a much easier hike to get to it. Perhaps you mixed them up.
Again, I am sorry that you had a bad experience and I will be talking to Christian about it.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hike is a moderate to easy walk through older growth cloud forest, following a creek up to a waterfall. Nice combination of beautiful vegetation, some open space, and of course many, many birds. Several hiking groups were lucky enough to see the Queztal. Be sure to take binoculars and wear long pants and good shoes.