“Amazing place, great family, amazing monkeys and forest” 5 of 5 bubbles

Alouatta Sanctuary
Ranked #30 of 45 things to do in Boquete
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: DAY GUEST: We welcome those who wish to learn about our research, view the animals, and explore the Batipa Wildlife Preserve on Friday only. Tours start at 9 am and end at 12 pm. You can access us by boat or a car with clearance.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Chamonix, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing place, great family, amazing monkeys and forest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Amazing place, great family, amazing monkeys and forest. If you get to Panama, you have to stop bu this great place located up in the mountain forest. Surrounded by animals and wild or familiarized monkeys, you will get a great lunch, good explanations about the place and the forest, trees, plants, animals, and play with the monkeys.

Visited December 2011

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Alouatta, Rincon Beach, Boquete, Panama”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I returned to Alouatta Monday, 1st October. Was this my fifth or sixth time in the last year – I have lost count. Alouatta has become my “Rescue and Sanctuary” as it is for Howlers. I was excited, but also filled with trepidation. No more Steven and Michelle Walker but now, new “caretakers” – with decades, not years, in age difference.
I need not have worried. Alouatta is Alouatta -- there has been a name change from Alouatta Lodge to Alouatta Sanctuary but it is the same extraordinary place -- so very beautiful and Los Monos so very Magical. As for the new tenants, Seth and Jolie, they could NOT have been more welcoming, warm and accommodating to “this old broad”. I asked to come on short notice, I said I could only stay for three hours maximum – they said come when you want, stay for however long you want – and it was wonderful.
Seth and Jolie have major goals, which they will accomplish. They have the energy, the drive to conserve, preserve and give back to the environment and to teach the local people how important it is to love what this country of Panama has to offer – a cornucopia of plants, trees and wildlife.
But the Monos – how were the Alouatta Troop of Howlers without Steven and Michelle to take care of them. Oh, they were the same enchanting, bewitching animals I have known them to be since my first visit. Healthy, beautiful, amazing, astonishing – there are not enough adjectives to describe these Howlers (and all Howlers). Maisie, very pregnant and ready to pop (now the mother of a beautiful baby boy) – she has one of the most beautiful and expressive faces in the world. Kiki – timid, unsure and at times a little frightened of her own shadow – is now more self assured, more confident – sometime soon Kiki will have enough self-confidence to take the plunge and integrate fully into one of the neighboring totally wild troops, I am sure of that. Jack, second baby of Maisie – he looks like (as Michelle described him) a Thug – he walks like a thug and has “sticky out” ears (the Howler version of Prince Charles??) so to me he is a miniature Al Capone or Bugsy Malone, EXCEPT he is such a sweet guy – appearances can be deceiving!! Coco the baby has grown so very much -- still needs lots of human contact – but (Steven and Michelle you would be so proud about how “you brung up your kid”) a comical (aptly name, he IS Coco the Clown), sweet and irresistible boy. Finally, the newest rescue addition – Nina Simono – a “street wise” recently rescued Howler, now about 7 months old – taken from her natural environment and her family by poachers. Brave, indomitable, adaptable but overall is soft, cuddly and so very, very loving.
These same Howlers may not be there when you visit – the aim of Alouatta is to nurture and care for them when they need it, but ultimately the goal is for the rescued Howlers to join a wild troop and return to their natural environment. If you choose to visit, there will be Howlers at Alouatta, maybe not up close and personal, but up in the trees, which is an experience in itself. A great part of the joy of Alouatta is just walking the trails, seeing the views and, for a brief moment in time, knowing that you are in The Garden of Eden.
If you venture to “parts unknown” and to Panama (which is rapidly not becoming “the path less traveled”), specifically to Chiriqui (or even to Panama City – it’s a day trip – it’s a small country) I suggest you plan ahead, call or email and ask if you can come (Howlers come first – always – bad time for Howlers (imminent births, a sick Howler etc.), bad time for visitors). If you don’t go, you will never, ever know how healing a short time at Alouatta can be – a respite from the frenetic world and a little escape from the “do everything, see everything” timetable you have set for your “restful” vacation.
My Affection and always, always my Gratitude, Appreciation and Respect to Steven and Michelle for “falling into” the Howler Rescue and Sanctuary trap and creating such an Eden. My boundless thanks, esteem and ongoing support to Seth and Jolie for continuing the legacy, awe for taking on such a task and my homage for doing such a “bloody good job”. Howlers, you have my heart, my life is enriched by learning and knowing about you.

Visited October 2012
Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing ~ educational family fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Seth & Jolie (our host & hostess) were amazing. We spent 3 days with them and they were amazing with our kids (18, 15 & 12). Koko & Nina were so much fun! The infant howlers are available to play with & feed from 6 AM till 7 or so PM. The troop came through 2 of the 3 days and visited. We then had baby Jack to play with as well as mom & another female. It was amazing to have monkeys swing in, visit for about an hour and then leave.

Seth & Jolie are both extreme knowledgable with each having their own specialty. Jolie even taught the girls yoga. They even stayed up late and played a game with the family. The accommodation were beyond what I was expecting, extremely hostitable and the food was amazing - my kids tried things they would never eat for me LOL! We enjoyed our trip to Panama but if I could only redo part of it, it would be Aloutta! This trip is worth it!

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Maryjane S
Naples, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Its all about the monkeys but not just about the monkeys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Every vacation my goal is to try to come up with new ways to top the last family vacation.
This is getting increasingly difficult to do but I managed to pull it off again this year. (thanks to Jolie and Seth were truly remarkable hosts) We had previously been to to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico and gone to the Jungle Place where they rehabilitate Spider Monkeys.
It had been such a hit with my kids that I was looking for something similar but better. I found the Alouatta Lodge which rehabilitates Howler Monkeys (and yes, I now know why they call them Howler Monkeys) One of the great things about Alouatta Lodge is that the Howler Monkeys are on their own to come and go (no cages!) When we were there, they had 2 babies Nina and Coco that they were trying to introduce to a wild troop. Jolie wasn't kidding when she suggested that we rent a car with plenty of clearance...we renting a Honda CRV but it just barely made it.
My advice, book the guest house for a couple of nights (at the least) I was a little unsure on how much there would be to do so I only booked us for 2 nights...if I had it to do over again, I would of booked a longer stay. I understand that they take day visitors but there is NOTHING like a troop of Howler Monkeys at 5:30 in the morning. My son, who never wants to get out of bed for anything was the first one out the door. There is also so much more to do. We rode horses, visited an indigenous village, and did some great hiking. Better yet, my daughters were introduced to yoga (except my youngest seems to think that I make a good yoga base)
If you are truly looking for a unique opportunity and something unspoiled and out of the way I can't recommend Alouatta lodge strongly enough. The monkeys are the stars but Seth and Jolie were amazing for my kids to be around. Always patient with my kids (not always so easy to do) and really helped explain the rehabilitation process. Everybody got something and the kids said "dad, best vacation ever!" How am I going to top that! Any suggestions?

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Robert S
Dublin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cool scenery and neat monkeys!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I paid ten dollars to hang out with a group of howler monkeys. The scenery is beautiful. They charge $10 for lunch, so if you are on a budget I would bring some snacks. But you can stay as long as you want and they are quite knowledgeable about what they have. They have spectacular plants and wildlife. Worth the trip, wish I could have gone with someone to share the experience. But the place is quite photogenic so bring extra batteries! I also saw some wild howlers on the road when I was leaving this place and an armadillo!

Visited July 2012