“Sublime experience”

Boquete Garden Inn
Ranked #2 of 28 Boquete B&B and Inns
“Sublime experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This was, by far, the best place we stayed at in Panama. The Inn was recently taken over by a young couple, Jay and Susan, who are very kind and helpful. The day manager is Daniel, a young Panamanian who is smart, gracious and flexible. The rest of the staff are equally accommodating and friendly.

The grounds of the inn are glorious. Ornamentals, fruit trees and a full spectrum of tropical flowers are laid out around the bungalows and neatly trimmed lawns. Add to this a backdrop of lush verdant hills and the sounds of the river that borders the property. Punctuate here and there with dazzling birds-jewels with wings that flit around the flowers....well, let me tell you that breakfast on the veranda was an experience, not just another meal. Our tables and fruit plates were adorned with flowers from the garden. Sublime.

The rooms were squeaky clean and furnished with a kitchenette, refrigerator and TV. Ours had a bunk bed and a queen and the bathroom was clean with a hot shower and plenty of towels.

We went whitewater rafting with Chiriqui Rafting- good, professional outfit. It had rained the day before so the rapids were elevated by at least half a level. Quick tip: let the guides know upfront how gnarly a ride you're willing to take- there are many ways to navigate a set of rapids and they do want you to have fun. We went for it and I think one of my teenagers' best memories of the trip is fishing their old man out of the water after the Maribel Rapids.

I was surprised at how reasonable dining was in Panama. We had excellent meals at the Bistro and Macchu Pichu, but by far the best meal we had was at El Oasis- filet mignon with a demi-glace for 8 bucks?!...Sublime.

I think the only thing I would have done differently is that I would have rented a car. Roads around Boquete are good and although taxis are plentiful in town, many attractions are within a few miles radius and getting back to your hotel might take longer than you want.

One last thought: I notice a particularly stern recent review about this place. I don't know what went down and I didn't ask but I need to share my experience about our check-in. The website states specifically that check-in is not allowed after 7pm. Well, in my haste to escape Bocas' sand, bugs and noise, we inadvertently showed up a whole day early and at 10:30pm! Jay and Susan bent over backwards to take care of us- they didn't have to but they did. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank shrinkrapt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
St Petersburg, FL
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Just got back from a great weekend at the Boquete Garden Inn. The only regret was I wished we had stayed longer. Jay and Susan are the owner operator of this B&B and believe me the pride of ownership shows from the personal service to the beauty of the grounds. The name could not be more appropriate. Our room was spotlessly clean. Make sure you ask for a room near the river as the sounds of the flowing water is heavenly. Happy hour by the river was a wonderful event each evening giving a chance to meet and chat with fellow travelers. Jay and Susan are a wealth of information from Real Estate information to the best tours to take. The proximity to the center of town is perfect as well as easy access to all the local sites. Romantic, Beautiful and Stress Free all describe our stay at the Garden Inn. Thank You Jay and Susan for a wonderful time.

E & V Thomas
St Petersburg, FL

• Liked — Staff and Attebtion to their guest
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We drove into Boquete without a reservation. By chance, we stumbled across Boquete Garden Inn. The establishment was beautiful so we decided to stay, and that was before our tour of the lush property which included a walk to the river. Susan was gracious, friendly and willing to ensure we had a great experience. Lucky for us, she did not disappoint in any aspect of our stay. Susan included suggestions for dinner and other places to see while visiting the area. My room was squeaky clean and the furnishings were in great condition. After the tranquil sounds of the river outside my room put me to sleep that night, their staff prepared a nifty breakfast the following morning. The beautiful landscaping combined with outstanding service levels made Boquete Garden a highlight of my holiday. This will be a place to visit and enjoy when we return to Boquete next summer.

• Liked — Proximity to the river.
  • Disliked — Is this a trick question? I loved everything about this place. Wish we stayed longer.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Larkspur, California
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Found this little place through Frommers. After coming from a B&B (Beds and Bugs) in Bocas Del Toro this place was great. Loved being right on this roaring river. (wish that my room 1B had a window over the bed so I could hear the water even better). Susan and Jay went out of their way to make my stay wonderful, including packing me a little to go breakfast the day of my very early morning departure.

They suggested and setup both a Coffee tour and a Zipline Canopy experience. Both were fabulous.

A few things I learned while in Boquete:
Soberson restaurant has great food and costs less than $3 per meal (cafeteria style)
Machu Piccu restaurant is expensive and not that great (overrated)
Zanzibar actually has some fairly good late nightlife including music

Susan and Jay seem to be always working on improving their little hotel. It (and they) are winners!

David

• Liked — Riving and owners
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank dfaudman
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We stayed there for 4 nights and the place was surroundings with beautiful nature(flowers&stream)..we saw more animals(birds and lizards) here than at the all dat hike at Parque Nacional Volcan Baru. Breakfast was great and the owners were wonderful...and make sure we had a great time there. Nearby restaurants were great food in great price. Can get Taxi to the town for $1-$2 per trip or just walked and enjoy the scenery. Lot of activity...from hiking..whitewater rafting...coffee plantation tours.. zip line..etc. Will stay again for future visit.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank ChillOutanywhere
Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at this Inn. We both had the best nights sleep in years. The location was great, the gardens and the birds were very pretty. It was wonderful to wake up to birds singing each morning. The accomodation was very clean and well equipped.

The Owners were full of knowledge about the local area and gave good advice on where to go and good places to eat.

We also enjoyed the nightly happy hour drink by the river in the gazebo. It was nice to talk with other guests and the owners.

Breakfast were plentiful and we especially enjoyed all the fruits served.

We will return to this town and to the Boquete Garden Inn.

• Liked — The gardens
  • Disliked — Futon in the lounge
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
panama
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We spent 3 nights at the Inn and just loved the ambiance and the accomodations. We were made to feel right at home and given good advice on where to vist and eat while we were there. Our delicious breakfast was served before we went out to explore and the owners helped to make our experience enjoyable by telling us about places we hadn't even thought of visiting. We would happily return and recommend the Inn to our friends and family.

• Liked — Garden birds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple