“Fabulous place to stay”

Los Establos Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 27 Boquete B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Found this place in the hills by accident and couldn't have been happier. We had a car, which made things easier, but one could get here from Boquete town. 16 rooms, personalized service. Breakfast included. Big deck with view of Volcan Baru and they grow their own coffee. Wifi in the main lodge and rooms. They are building a restaurant and gym/spa now, too.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed here with some friends and was just amazed at how beautiful this place is. At the risk of repeating what everyone else wrote, the Los Establos was just the most wonderful vacation stay ever. The staff was very friendly and made us feel at home. Breakfast was great on the patio with the view of the volcano across the valley. Rooms were big and clean but the most remarkable aspect of the Los Establos was the manicured gardens and coffee plants surrounding the property.
If I had to fault it for anything it would be for a lack of a hair dryer in the bathroom but that is a very minor consideration. Otherwise everything was far better than I could have expected.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1 (one side of the triple room building). Our friend stayed in the main building...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My friend and I stumbled upon Los Establos when we won a five night stay at a silent auction in May. We are so thankful that we did because it was the most relaxing time we have had. We stayed from August 1st-6th and I got a chance to speak with the owner, Bob, the night before we left and he started our vacation off right telling us who would be picking us up at the airport, what to pack and bring and what to expect. He even picked up on the fact that my friend and I are both vegans and made it a point to make sure we had anything we wanted to eat. When we arrived we immediately felt like family and got to meet his wife, Irina, who had stayed in town just so she could meet us. They served us an amazing dinner and we planned our week's activities right away. We were able to get two rooms in the main building that were beautiful! The room was so nice and cozy and the bathroom is perfect. It has a rain shower and beautiful stone pebble flooring. Everything was so classy and well done, but still made you feel like you were in a chalet. The view is outstanding and every morning we would eat breakfast and look out to the volcano and view of the town below. They had fresh fruit and fresh squeezed juices for us each morning! We did an excursion every day: waterfall hikes, zip lining, coffee plantation tours, hot springs, and the spa and we even went horseback riding up the mountain with some locals! The staff there arranged it all and when we wanted to go in town for dinner too they set us up with a reservation at El Bistro (which has the best tomato soup I have ever had) and arranged transportation for us too. The staff is so warm and friendly and you can tell it is a family run business and that they treat you like one of their own. I felt like I made an amazing connection with the ladies who cooked for us and every meal they asked us what we would want. They altered every recipe for us vegans and made the most amazing soups and sandwiches and desserts we could want. I am still thinking about the mushroom soup they made for me. Such a treat! After our excursions I would return to the hotel and sit outside and read a book or nap on the lawn chairs and soak up the mountain air. It is such a treat coming from Florida! The town of Boquete is small and quaint and very safe for ladies too. My friend and I walked into town from Los Establos one day and got some fun souvenirs for our family. We met some people at a coffee shop in town who then even drove us back to the hotel. Such nice people! We had the most amazing time and were sad to leave, but can't wait to go back!!! Take advantage of all the excursions you can do and spend as much time just relaxing. You feel like you are in the Swiss mountains and it is so peaceful. Enjoy! Also, some people there speak English, but any Spanish you know goes a long way!

Room Tip: There is only WIFI in the main building, so if that is important to you then choose one of the rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank loloc5
Irina A, Owner at Los Establos Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Lauren and Jada was really nice to have you at Los Establos. We are so pleased to hear that you had a great week in Boquete and in my name and the entire staff thank you so much for staying with us!!!!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I spent a week with a girl-friend at Los Establos at the end of July. We've been back over a week and I am still mellow and smiling! Its a truly magical place. The accommodation is gorgeous, set amid carefully manicured flower gardens and coffee plantation. Inside has the feel of a cozy Swiss chalet with lots of wood and soothing earth tones - I loved the river pebble floor in the shower nook and the hand forged bathroom fixtures. The staff are really kind and friendly; they treat you like family and they will help you with anything you need. Breakfast was such a treat, we took hours! Usually sat outside in the fresh air, with a sweater on enjoying the birdsong and ever changing view of the volcano - its spectacular. On the first day the owners chatted to us and found out what we were interested in and before the coffee was cold we had an itinerary with tours and guide all booked! There's loads to do from whale watching to zip lining and its an artists and nature lovers paradise. We took it easy with short hikes, thermal pool soaks, and scenic drives to points of archaeological interest, a coffee roaster/tasting tour and an orchid farm. Our guide was a great bird spotter, he even whistled up some Quetzals! Bring binoculars and a swim suit. Most people speak English but they really appreciate a few words of Spanish and reward you with amused chuckles. You feel very safe wandering around Boquete any time of the day. There are several indigenous Indian tribes each with distinct dress and craft work - the beading and embroidery are treasures you will want to take home. The hotel cooks make a delicious aromatic Panamanian soup with yams, cilantro and chicken, they did a vegetarian version for my friend - it is perfect to warm you up after a day out and we found ourselves chatting merrily with other guests over soup or wine and comparing our experiences. There are plenty of restaurants in town to suit all pockets - the taxi ride is only $3. There is a comfortable lounge with leather sofas, board games, books and billiard table if you want to stay in. Its quiet and peaceful (we chilled in our fluffy hotel bathrobes watching the birth announcement of the future king of England!). Free Wi-Fi too. Los Establos is wonderful - we saw plenty of other places that weren't nearly as lovely and well placed. I would love to go back some day and paint - the light and landscape are ever changing and the air is fresh and healing. Maybe coffee harvest time? Next time I would bring more warm clothes and take home more crafts and coffee!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Denise M
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I recently spent one week at Los Establos and it was fantastic! The owners, Rob and Irina, made us feel like we were family. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were immaculate with an array of gorgeous flowers growing everywhere. We loved eating breakfast on the verandah each morning overlooking Vulcan Baru and the lovely cloud forest. The staff were great, friendly and attentive, and we did not lack for one comfort while we were there. A wide range of activities were available and all arranged by the hotel with their on staff guide-we went touring in the cloud forest by vehicle, hiked, soaked in hot springs, swam in a river, saw a working coffee plantation, got wonderful massages. It was peaceful and quiet and absolutely beautiful there. I would not have changed a thing-thank you for a marvelous vacation!!

Room Tip: Every room has a view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent two night at Los Establos and absolutely loved the property and the staff. We began each morning the sounds of nature and a delicious breakfast... fresh juice, coffee, fruit. Then each afternoon, we were greeted with wine and sanchoco (traditional Panamanian chicken soup), which was perfect after a day of exploring the rainforest. The hotel views allowed us to take in the beauty of Boquete and totally unwind as we sat on the terrace or explored the coffee plantation and gardens on the property. We did rent a car, which allowed us to drive into town for dinner and drinks at night. The road to town is narrow, steep, and very dark at night so we did not risk the walk. Overall, we loved that this hotel was quiet and stunningly beautiful. We will definitely stay here next time we visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family (me, husband, two kids and my parents) loved Los Establos. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were lovely, the breakfast was abundant and delicious. I agree with an earlier comment - perhaps being able to eat dinner at the hotel would have made this place perfect. My children want to go back when it isn't raining so they can play on the swings.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Holly B
Irina A, Owner at Los Establos Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Mrs. Holly we are so happy to hear that your entire family had a great time. We are also pleased to let you know that the restaurant will be open by August this year. We hope to see you back in Boquete! Thank very much!