“A Hidden Gem -- Don't Miss this Piece of Paradise!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boquete
The Guest Suites at Manana Madera Coffee Estate
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A Hidden Gem -- Don't Miss this Piece of Paradise!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Look no further. This place is the home you always wished you had. I'm serious. You will not want to leave.

I spent one of the most relaxing weeks of my life there, mainly on the basis of the reviews here. The guest house is separate from the main house by a short sidewalk, so you're close enough for anything you need, but have the privacy you sometimes lack in a bed and breakfast. Watch movies all night long and your hosts won't be disturbed!

Randy and his wife normally take care of the guests together, but his wife happened to be out of town while I was there. I can't begin to imagine how anything could have been improved with two of them there to pamper me, because I received top notch care, consideration, and just down-right friendliness. Breakfast was served at the little dining table in my living room every morning, piping hot and delicious. (I highly recommend the sausage, which they have ground to their own recipe. Yum! I'd love some right now, since I live in a non-pork country. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!) They have devised a marvelous little system where you fill out a whiteboard with your breakfast request, including the time you want it served, and then leave the whiteboard outside your door.. And voila! Just like magic, heere comes Randy with a ready smile and with some of the best breakfast fare you can imagine. I would usually be up answering work emails when he knowcked, and he'd sail in with delicious smelling food, completely derailing me from all thoughts of work issues.

Then it was hammock time as I read, dozed, and viewed some of the best scenery ever. The dog was a great companion for impromptu hikes and Randy was a wealth of knowledge about the local area. I was actually looking at real estate for possible retirement, and he personally introduced me to some local sellers, gave me lots of advise on neighborhoods and areas, and generally made me feel like a long-lost friend come to visit. If he gives you any practical advice about the area, suggests a restaurant, or recommends a hotel on your way back -- take the advice. It's spot on.

Great bed, absolute quiet at night, all the hot water you could need for a good quality shower, freedom to use the house laundry, personal tours, friendship, great canine companionship, peace, beauty, free movies, books on the shelves for when you finished your own, free internet -- where else does this happen? In my experience, no where else on the planet. If you know of somewhere else with this level of quality, please write to me. Because I will book my next vacation there.

Another plus is that this estate actually produces coffee. I was able to leave addresses of my friends to have coffee sent to them. No mess, no fuss. Randy took care of it all. By the time I got home, I was already receiving rave reviews and thanks for this unique and strong coffee (number one in its class). I'm not a coffee drinker myself (weird, yeah, I know), so I'll have to pass on my daughter's comment: "Compared to American supermarket coffee, you need to approach with caution because it's so rich, so good, and will get you soooooo jazzed."

The only downside, and it's not really a downside once you've done it, is that when you first arrive, the driveway is a bit intimidating as it seems to go straight up. But yes, your underpowered rental car can indeed make it, and it's part of the charm. Plus you feel like jumping out of the car with a big arm pump celebrating your prowess at the wheel. (It's not really that bad, but it does give you a pause the first time around.) The second time -- no sweat! This is not a Mainstreet USA driveway, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. If I wanted Mainstreet, why would I travel?

As an aside, this is the second review I've written because the first one didn't get posted some reason. I don't know why it didn't get posted, but let's hope this one goes through.

Room Tip: One room -- so you are king!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank calere

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The Guest Suite looked amazing online, but being there in person exceeded my expectations beyond belief. It was like something straight out of my dreams - the beauty of this place is indescribable. In addition to being in one of the most beautiful places on earth, Randy and Jamie couldn't have been better hosts. The hospitality we received was like nothing I had ever experienced while traveling. From the moment we arrived it was as though we were visiting friends, and were made to feel very much at home. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer. I can't wait to return to this magical place!

Mill Valley, California
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Two words- Amazing Hospitality... If your looking for a beyond great place to high above the town of Boquete, then you need to check this place out... beautiful climate, home cooked breakfast, hammocks, splendid landscaping, etc.. Nothing to complain about here... A+++ all around..

1 Thank patboon5
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed July 10, 2011

This was our first trip to Panama and we could not ask for a better place to stay. Randy was the perfect host. He welcomed us with a killer Mojito which we enjoyed in their gazebo overlooking the beautiful valley. You will feel like you have known Randy for a long time as soon as you meet him due to his warm nature. He was an incredible source of information about where to go, what to do, and where to eat. Randy also gave us a private and very interesting tour of the coffee plantation. The guest suite has a very relaxing atmosphere with an amazing view. They also have a very sweet dog named Chubbs.

As previously noted, I would highly advise to rent a car. This way you will be able to move around more easily making the trip more enjoyable. Just be aware that the rental car is cheap, but the mandatory insurance is not so don't be surprise to pay twice as much as you expect.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was our first trip to Panama and one we will never forget! Randy and Jamie have such a beautiful and comfortable guest house. It's located at a higher elevation than Boquete and subsequently gets amazing weather. The guest house and patio have amazing views and you wake up every morning in a perfect bed greeted with a breakfast. Randy is a great source of local info and was really helpful throughout our stay. Top-notch lodging in a perfect location! If we make it back to Boquete we won't hesitate to stay here again.

We were able to manage without a rental car although I do concur with the previous reviewer that a car makes life easier and allows you to explore more of the area.

Bocas
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We have lived/worked in Panama for 4 years, and visited Boquete many times during the years. We have stayed at many nice places in Boquete, but this is absolutely number 1! If you are looking for a “private” stay at a coffee estate, quiet place, with very nice rooms, great view, garden with ranchito and very good breakfast for a good price. This is the place. You probably enjoy it best if you have your own car, and it is only a 8 minutes drive down to town. I highly recommend this place. There is only 1 suite at the estate, and Randy and Jamie are great hosts, serving good breakfast in the morning for your own choice. Breakfast also includes Randy’s homemade exclusive coffee. There is a very comfortable bed. The place is only for 2 persons. We also brought our little 17 month baby girl (sleeping in our bed…), and she also loved the place. Especially their nice dog Chubbs and cat Snack. Randy also sells his exclusive homemade coffee for a good price.

Unfortunately we are soon to leave Panama, otherwise we would for sure always stay in this place for our visit to Boquete, and we would not try any more places. Again we highly recommend this place, and promise all that you will be positive surprised.

Thanks again, and thanks for a great place!

Marius, Louise and Emelie

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marius74
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Finca Mañana Madera was the highlight of a wonderful week in Panama. We only had two days here but could have easily spent the entire week with Randy in Boquete. He was the consummate host and previous reviews of the finca are 100% spot on. Randy enthusiastically counseled us on what was available locally to do (the list is long) as well as directing us to the best places we ate in Panama. Randy made it very clear that he would make himself available to us at any time should we need him, which he did by picking us up in David, driving us around a bit and and he even supplied us with a cell phone with pre programmed numbers for when we were out. The finca is gorgeous, the coffee delicious, Chubs adorable and we wanted for nothing.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple