Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Sunrise From the Highest Point in Panama

My girlfriend and I were put in touch with Oscar, at Explora Ya, by our host of our AirB&B and... read more

Reviewed October 11, 2017
John E
Denver, Colorado
via mobile
Hiking and biking tours

We did a half day walking tour to the 3 waterfalls with Oscar. The hike got challenging for me at... read more

Reviewed May 13, 2017
Jullisa
Nassau, New Providence Island
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Boquete
from $35.00
More Info
from $65.00
More Info
All reviews volcan baru highest point bocas del toro rainy season an amazing experience oscar hike panama exploration jeep pacific sunrise summit
Reviewed October 22, 2012

At the 22/9/12 we had a great coffee tour with a guide named Israel from Explora Ya in Boquete, Panama. Israel explained the whole process of manufaturing the coffee in the most interesting way. He explained about the different kinds of coffee plants growing in the farm. He even tested us (me, my wife and my doughters) if we can identify the names of the plants he showed us before... He has a perfect English (unlike me...) and he answered with a lot of patiance for the whole of our questions. We had a great time. The tour took place in "Finca la Milagrosa", a beautiful coffee farm. It was amazing to see how the man who established the farm built all the machines with his own hands. The taste of the coffe was great. We surely recommed to take this coffee tour!

Date of experience: September 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent the morning hiking White Rock Trail with Eric. We had a fantastic time, and couldn't have asked for a better guide. The hike took about 3 hours in total. It was moderately strenuous in places, but very doable for our family of five, with kids ages 9-11. Highlights were swinging on vines, getting to the water fall, climbing over rocks to run under and behind the (cold) waterfall, an enormous tree that dates from before the eruption of Volcan Baru, a brief sighting of a female Quetzel, and learning from all the knowledge that Eric has about plants, animals, history, etc. I wish we had time to do another hike/adventure with Eric and Explora Ya...highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2012
1  Thank karen s
Reviewed October 16, 2012

In December 2010, my (now)husband and I took a trip to Panama and chose Boquete as one of our stops. For whatever reason, I got it in my head that I wanted to hike to the top of Volcan Baru. Bear in mind that we live in Chicago, at the time were in rather lethargic shape (save for a few 5Ks the summer before), and have had minimal exposure to hiking. WE WERE DOING IT.

Thank GOODNESS for Explora Ya and their fabulous tour guide. I almost decided right from the get-go that I wasn't going to do it after I was out of breath from walking five minutes to the guard cabin, but I am so grateful I didn't. The hike was by far the most challenging physical activity I had ever done. BY FAR. We elected to do the overnight hike, meaning we hiked up one day, camped, then climbed to the summit for the sunrise, then hiked down the next day. It was incredible seeing the wildlife and plants on our way up. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable about the birds and the plants, which made for an even more enjoyable hike. He also was extremely patient with us and our inexperience. We lucked out and got an ATV tour to carry our tents/backpacks up after hiking for several hours, but it was still intense. Sleeping in a tent and seeing the stars so close we nearly could touch them was wonderful. Waking up to see the sunrise and the Pacific Ocean (sadly, too much cloud cover for the Caribbean) was an incredible experience. I would definitely prepare my body better for the hike, but this was an amazing experience.

The tour of Finca La Milagrosa was also spectacular. We loved the small operation and the ingenuity of someone who built all of his coffee operations from an old Jeep, and wish we had bought so much more coffee. It was the best coffee we had in our lives. (Seriously, this tour was lovely. I'd definitely do it again.)

We were only sad we didn't have more time to do more Explora Ya tours. We had so much fun, and the guides are so friendly and informative. I highly recommend the company to get out of your comfort zone and try something new.

(Even if it means you can't walk normally for about five days afterwards. Seriously, train for the hike.)

Date of experience: December 2011
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I enjoyed hiking to White Rock Falls with Israel in Boquete, Panama. He was born and raised in the area, and took his time sharing all he knows about Bouquete's history, plants, and animals. We had fun swinging on vines, and getting soaked in the falls. When I return, I'd definitely go on another adventure with Explora Ya; hopefully, with my teenage son along for the fun.

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was in Boquete for two months and managed to do most things on my own without a guide, but doing the coffee tour with Israel is a MUST. He explains everything and you can ask him anything. Israel showed us all the different types of coffee trees and the process of making it into coffee. We got to try several of the beans at several of the stages. Do yourself a favor and go on the tour with Israel. Even if you don't like coffee, it's worth the trip. I don't like coffee but ended up leaving with two bags of it. It was delicious. If you're in Boquete, do the tour.

P.S. Israel is very easy on the eyes.

Date of experience: June 2012