“The Rock has maintained its high standards”
Review of The Rock

The Rock
Ranked #5 of 114 Restaurants in Boquete
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, International, Central American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Panoramic views, a crackling fireplace and an outdoor wooden deck beside a garden overlooking the Palo Alto River, sets a cozy and uncomplicated atmosphere to enjoy a fabulous meal. We serve down to earth, bistro-style, comfort food! We believe the enjoyment of food is a fundamental part of life.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We and some friends recently had dinner again at The Rock. I am glad to report that it has maintained its high standards. Live jazz music was the bonus on Monday nights. The bread, Corvina wafer (appetizer), and Thai curry were as good as we remembered. The double Crème brûlée tasted as good is it looked.

1  Thank UKBeachgirl

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This restaurant is kind of a safe bet, quality of food and service is great, location and ambience too, but it's also a bit expensive compared to the rest of the restaurants in the area, I'd say that actually the prices are similar to top restaurants in Panama City.
The menu has a lot to offer with a reasonable variety of choices, which makes it very suitable for groups and first time visitors to Bouquet.
I've been there several times but always for lunch, a big plus of the place is to enjoy the view and sound of the river a few steps from your table.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Nice restaurant a little outside of town center. Boquete craft beer (light and dark)! Staff is very attentive. Varied menu. You have to try the corvina chips - thinly sliced sea bass deep fried into chips with a great sauce. One of our few go to restaurants here.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Had breakfast 2 days included in stay at The Riverside Hotel next door. Thoroughly enjoyed dinner on 2nd night along with friends I met at a conference in Panama City a few days before. Exclusive items on menu at higher than anticipated prices, but all worth it. Added benefit was live jazz night on Monday's. A must go as evidenced by many of the locals and Expats attending. People without reservations were unfortunately being turned away at the door.

2  Thank Wayne B
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We went to The Rock on a recommendation from a transplant local. When we walked into the resturant we waited by the entrance of the resturant (you walk through a foyer first) for someone to greet us and no one came. Waiters saw us as did the manager but no one came to seat us. We had to flag down a waiter. The Resturant was not full and the waiter asked us if we had reservations. We did not. We asked to sit on the patio and the waiter gave us two choices for a table. We sat and things started off well. A waiter brought us water and we ordered two house Chardonnays. (There were only two choices for house wines, a red and a white.) We finally gave our dinner order after a long wait and then proceed to wait some more. ( I order the sea bass and my husband ordered the very fancy grilled cheese. ) It was ok because my husband and I were enjoying a nice evening. After quite a long time the waiter brought us some bread and oil and balsamic vinegar. The bread was very good and we were glad to have gotten it because by now our glass of wine was almost gone and we were starving. (We only drink 1 glass) So basically we had to have our water with dinner.
After a long wait we were served our dinners. I have to mention that there was another couple that came in quite a while after us and was served everything first. I wondered if it was because we did not have reservations. Not sure.
Well my husband and I were still having a good time and were not in any big rush.
After a few bites of my sea bass I knew I did not like it and could not finish it. I was disappointed but at the time not angry. Bad meals happen. My wonderful husband gave me half of his yummy grilled cheese and we finished eating and talking about the desserts were going to try. At this point I do have to say we were not upset at all. We did not make a fuss or complain about anything. When the manager ( he was moving around and helping the wait staff) came to clear our plates he saw that my meal was not eaten and asked if he could bring me different plate. By this time it was very late and I was not going to order anything different. I also said I was fine and I split my husbands meal. We did not make a scene and did not want to make a scene. He took our plates and we waited some more for someone to bring us dessert menus. To our totally embarrassment the manager made the chef come out and talk to us. He did not speak English and our waiter had to translate. We felt so bad for the chef. I am not totally sure but I don't think it would have been the chef's idea to come to the table. I want to say again, we did not complain or make a fuss. We said everything was fine and we were good. We just wanted dessert. Of course now we felt horrible and I am sure the chef felt terrible as well. (My husband btw shook the chef's hand and thanked him for coming out) It was a very embarrassing situation that the manager put us all in. Things really went down hill after that. No one came to bring us dessert menus. In fact our waiter completely ignored us after that. He would not even look at us. This made us feel like we did something wrong. Finally we got menus and we were really trying to make the best of our evening. No one came to take our dessert order. We waited another 20 minutes or so. Our waiter passed by us many times serving others. It was really unbelievable. Everyone ignored us even the manager. By this time we were fed up. We had to flag down a waiter to get our bill and we paid and left. The manager did take off my meal which was generous and we appreciated that. My husband also gave a tip to the chef to express or thanks for concern. Bottom line... Things happen and people are not always going to like the meal choices they make. What was disappointing was that the manager made everyone involved feel horrible, us the customers and the chef. He took the dinner off our bill which was nice. We did not ask for that and only realized that when we got the bill. You would think that the manager and our waiter would have tried to help the situation by being attentive. Instead they took a situation that was acceptable and turned it into unacceptable. They made us feel like we did something wrong. We will not be returning to the rock because we were embarrassed. This is an expat Resturant and the prices and attitudes reflect that.