“I had a great time at Mamallena Boquete!”
Review of Hostel Mamallena

Hostel Mamallena
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I had a great experience staying at Mamallena. The staff at the hostel provided a dry garage for my motorcycle and the dorm was clean, quiet, and comfortable. I had the privilege of meeting and becoming friends with the manager, Miguel, who organized a party for his guests where he provided free food and drink for everyone! Staying at Mamallena was very much like visiting a good friend!

Alexander

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Panama has great hostels in a number of cities with similar trappings: cheap prices, a social environment, knowledgeable and helpful staff, free pancake breakfasts and internet, etc. What sets Mamallena apart is the sheer loveliness of the place. From the spacious, clean rooms to the hot-water showers to the balcony and patio, Mamallena has the ambience of a much pricier hotel. Mitzi and her colleagues help arrange great tours, and they're generally pretty awesome to hang out with. The hostel also attracts great guests, so it's a good place to meet fellow travelers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Mamallena last week, primarily because of the people working there. Estela and William were both extremely helpful in assisting me in planning my next move, and they also are very cool people that hang out with the guests and facilitate socializing even when they are not "on duty". The staff here definitely go above and beyond what you would expect from your typical hostel. Mamallena offers a do-it-yourself free pancake and banana breakfast all day long, which was extremely popular, though I did not personally experience it as I was too busy indulging in nearby street food.

Another great thing about Mamallena are the other guests, who were all very cool and interested in hanging out and going on day trips. As a solo traveler, this aspect was key. The bathrooms were plentiful and the self-use lockers are conveniently located. The dorm I was staying in had aircon, which was blissfully cold. It was actually so cold we had to have it turned off in the middle of the night! The bed I was in was comfortable but super creaky.

The only thing I would warn visitors about is that the showers are cold-water only. Though I think most backpackers are accustomed to such privations by now, I found this a little off-putting.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2010

After arriving on the bus from David, I really lucked out being able to get a private room in a hostal. I anticipated having to wait until there was a checkout as this was early morning but there was a room immediately vacant. I couldn't get over the selection of movies and television shows stored on the comptuer. Mitzi (hope I spelled her name right) notified me of a phone call from my dentist. There wasn't any noise upstairs from any partying as far as I could tell. All the previous posts about are correct about what a great town it is. Will stay longer next trip

Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2010

So i was reading the recent reviews saying the hostel was a party place and it was terrible to sleep at night due to employees being loud... and I WAS SCARED knowing I was going to be staying here the next two nights!

I must say the reviews posts I read where nothing like the actual experience at the Boquete Mamallena Hostel! The staff drinking yes but mainly after 11 its in the back of the hostel where is more like a community center then a party! Travellers joining and talking about where they come from and where they are heading. It was amazing the amount of people that would join in for a few drinks to tell the stories of previous travels.

The staff always friendly and would offer to give you a drink just for a story! Everyone is very friendly and speaks both spanish and english so communication was very easy. They where located right off the bus stop and they have a buzzer if the door is closed first thing in the morning so they immediately let you in and provide you with quick accomidations.

I have enjoyed the past two days I have spent at this outstanding location and I will probably be visiting again once I get back from South America!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I`ve never felt compelled to write a review but after the stay I have had I feel the need to warn people...

The hostel itself is well located write next to the bus stop and offers a range of tours and solid advice for local places to visit, as well as a free breakfast, comfortable communal areas and decent sized bunk rooms. The problem seems to be the insistence of the people working here in turning this into a party hostel. When large groups in a hostel get rowdy, it`s to be expected, however when it was 2 members of staff on reception drinking heavily with one other guest, playing loud music and talking extremely loudly, fully aware there are guests sleeping in the dorm rooms only metres away, then I take offence.

After 2am I asked if they could be quiet, then again half an hour later and by 3.30am I was getting angry. Eventually by around 4am the noise subsided. I heard this was a more `lively` hostel in an otherwise sleepy town, but when it`s only members of staff that look like they`re teenagers drinking and being noisy then I feel this is just unacceptable. I`m only 23 and felt like an old lady having to complain about the noise! It`s such a shame as this hostel seemed so promising.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Casa762, Owner at Hostel Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

I`m very sorry that that was your experience with your stay with us. The hostel does have a reputation as a fun place to stay and obviously that attracts a lot of people. That shouldn`t affect(too much....) the quality of your sleep, and it certainly shouldn`t be staff memebrs who are the ones doing it. Hopefully this won`t be happening in the future. But at least you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I think the good seemed to have outweighed the bad!!

Reviewed November 2, 2010

Recommended for backpackers, night owls, party it up here. Stumble off the bus from David literally, into the front door, $11 for a hostal room that has 2 bunk-beds. Lots of young people, reliable wireless internet.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo