“The Best Scare Ever!”
Review of Hostel Mamallena

Hostel Mamallena
Reviewed November 17, 2010

So i was reading the recent reviews saying the hostel was a party place and it was terrible to sleep at night due to employees being loud... and I WAS SCARED knowing I was going to be staying here the next two nights!

I must say the reviews posts I read where nothing like the actual experience at the Boquete Mamallena Hostel! The staff drinking yes but mainly after 11 its in the back of the hostel where is more like a community center then a party! Travellers joining and talking about where they come from and where they are heading. It was amazing the amount of people that would join in for a few drinks to tell the stories of previous travels.

The staff always friendly and would offer to give you a drink just for a story! Everyone is very friendly and speaks both spanish and english so communication was very easy. They where located right off the bus stop and they have a buzzer if the door is closed first thing in the morning so they immediately let you in and provide you with quick accomidations.

I have enjoyed the past two days I have spent at this outstanding location and I will probably be visiting again once I get back from South America!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2010

I`ve never felt compelled to write a review but after the stay I have had I feel the need to warn people...

The hostel itself is well located write next to the bus stop and offers a range of tours and solid advice for local places to visit, as well as a free breakfast, comfortable communal areas and decent sized bunk rooms. The problem seems to be the insistence of the people working here in turning this into a party hostel. When large groups in a hostel get rowdy, it`s to be expected, however when it was 2 members of staff on reception drinking heavily with one other guest, playing loud music and talking extremely loudly, fully aware there are guests sleeping in the dorm rooms only metres away, then I take offence.

After 2am I asked if they could be quiet, then again half an hour later and by 3.30am I was getting angry. Eventually by around 4am the noise subsided. I heard this was a more `lively` hostel in an otherwise sleepy town, but when it`s only members of staff that look like they`re teenagers drinking and being noisy then I feel this is just unacceptable. I`m only 23 and felt like an old lady having to complain about the noise! It`s such a shame as this hostel seemed so promising.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Casa762, Owner at Hostel Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

I`m very sorry that that was your experience with your stay with us. The hostel does have a reputation as a fun place to stay and obviously that attracts a lot of people. That shouldn`t affect(too much....) the quality of your sleep, and it certainly shouldn`t be staff memebrs who are the ones doing it. Hopefully this won`t be happening in the future. But at least you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I think the good seemed to have outweighed the bad!!

Reviewed November 2, 2010

Recommended for backpackers, night owls, party it up here. Stumble off the bus from David literally, into the front door, $11 for a hostal room that has 2 bunk-beds. Lots of young people, reliable wireless internet.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The hostel was nice, very close to everything! It was a little loud at night as people play music and chat near the rooms till 2am most nights.
The free movies are great and perfect for a rainy day. The staff are helpful and we booked our tours through them as they were good value.
Overall a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed August 23, 2010

What a great place to stay! The beds were big thick comfortable mattresses with warm blankets, The shower had HOT WATER!!! what a treat. My boyfriend and I checked into a double room with our own bathroom it was clean & spacious we each had our own double bed which was great. We stayed here for 4 nights without the slightest complaint. Kitchen was great with a full set of tools, great night life & even better DVD selection. The staff were helpful and even emailed me some information for hikes, they are always organising social nights at the hostel. We went white water rafting & on the canopy zip line. We didnt want to leave our cosy room. Wish I was there now!! O its also in the heart of the town, get off the bus and its about 50m away & free wifi

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2010

From the moment we arrived we felt like we were in a home away from home. We were checked into a dorm which was spacious and clean. The hostel is in the centre of Boquete with a 24 hour supermarket around the corner, note that this stops selling alcohol at 11pm. The best part of the hostel was the happy helpful staff. We had a squirtylicious time here, thanks Will and Miguel!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights in a private room for $27.50 per night. Room had 2 double beds, private bathroom but no fans. Room faced the central park and had windows that didn't lock which was strange. The hostel has plenty of areas to chill out, one of which was right outside the room, so a couple of nights people were out there talking till late which kept us up a bit, but nothing too major. Kitchen well stocked, but always busy with people taking advantage of the free pancakes all day. TV room good with cable. Location great right on the park and near a 24hr supermarket. Its about 10mins walk from the bus station a little out of town. Still it was great and would definately recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple