“Great hostel run by a great owner and staff!”
Review of Hostel Mamallena

Hostel Mamallena
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I ended up staying in Boquete far longer than planned and a big part of that was due to the level of comfort at Mamallena!

Hostel is very clean. Rooms are well laid out and comfy. Kitchen is clean and big, though a bit crowded while I was there because there was an abundance of people who liked to cook.

Location is great, right on the town square!

And the staff... I got to be friends with Miguel, the owner. He's an extremely interesting guy to talk to and seems to cultivate a very likable volunteer staff. I hung out at the hostel pretty much every nice with the staff in the garden making a bad habit of rum + ice cream (seriously, mix a little rum into ice cream and stir it up. Good stuff!)

I can't wait for my next trip to Boquete when I can reconnect with all the people I met there, including those at Mamallena!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sean S

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is really a hostel, so a lot of young international students. I really enjoyed meeting some of the students. This is definitely a great place for young travlers wanting to meet other. I am an older male, so I opted for the private room It was very basic, clean, and affordable. The room could have used more lighting as was somewhat dark. The walls are very thin and you hear a lot of noise until little later in the night, but it is a hostel. The staff was both polite and helpful. It is very convenient, directly across from the central park. Probably comparable places around town, but this was certainly acceptable. I had a room across from the main street which was quite as I stayed during the weekdays. I would expect it might be loud on a weekend. The showers were really hot, which was great.

Room Tip: If you need quite do not get a room on the front near the street. If you need extreme quite, this m...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Let me start by saying I am not a typical hostel guest. I am a bit older, greyer, etc. Let me also state that I arrived in Boquete without reservations or planning. I had intended to head to Volcan for the weekend but missed my bus out of San Jose to San Vito with the goal of going to the other side of the volcano and ended up in David with easier connections to Boquete.

I checked in Friday night to another hotel and was told that they only have a room available for one night, after that I had to find another hotel. They called a couple of other places but they were booked solid. If you go to Bouquete, I recommend reservations and I usually never make reservations, I just end up where I end up.

The staff was pleasant, courteous, friendly, etc. The price was not unreasonable.

I had a few beers that day in some of the local watering holes that amusingly, in a town full of foreigners, none seemed to have any foreign customers (Hueca, Tika, Nuevo Panama (which was erie), etc. There is a nine o'clock siren that goes off. I was tired and tipsy and went to bed at the siren.

The issue is that the hostel abuts a bar. The windows are over the bars courtyard. As I crawled in the bed I realized this would make sleep a bit difficult. Then the band started tuning up. It was trying to sleep on an amplifier. Somehow, I do remember that I managed to fall to sleep because when the second set started, I was jolted awake once again. I do not know when the music stopped or the bar shut down as I do not wear a watch.

The earlier comments regarding the thin walls also should be mentioned. I do remember late at night after the music stopped, being awakened once again when the neighbor came home. There was a door connecting the rooms and when their light was turned on it shined right between the door and the jamb and lit up my room.

The bathroom and shower facilities seemed inadequate for a full house.

I a nutshell, If you are going to sleep before the bars close, or are in Boquete on weekend night, choose a quieter option.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Mamallena's is a bustling gringo haven and great if you want to meet other travellers and spend considerable amounts if money on tours. It is clean (although in the morning the lawn is covered in cigarette butts) and the showers are nice and hot for the cool mountain climate.
I found one staff member to be incredibly helpful, the others were inattentive, overly pushy with the tours and the Manager was downright rude. Once when he barked something at me, the nice member if staff apologised for him, saying to me in a hushed voice, "Sorry about him, he's a great guy, he is just not very good with people." It astounds me how people like this end up in the tourism and hospitality industry. Sort your manners out mate!
I found when enquiring about things to do in the area that are cheap or free, no one was knowledgeable or willing to provide info, and a few times they just shoved a white information folder in my direction and told me if I wanted to something, it would be in there.
The free pancakes were not always available. If I was there in busy season, I feel it would have been impossible to get any.
I also had some friends coming to stay at the hostel. I asked the Manager if I could reserve dorms for them. He said yes, as long as 3 people checked out next day, it would be fine, and if not they could have a private, I agreed to pay the difference. I returned from my coffee tour next day to find my friends standing outside the hostel looking lost. They told me they had been turned away as there was no room. I knew for a fact that 3 people from my dorm had checked out. I went in and the guy on the desk knew nothing about it, the Manager had not told anyone of the second option he had given me. They went off to walk around with heavy bags looking for somewhere else, and I left the next day to join them.
In fairness, it is a lively place in a great location, but there are other much cheaper hostels in the area that provide a more authentic experience. I think the majority of the staff let the place down. I advise to shop around.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was the best hostel i have ever stayed in in my life. Period. It is located right in the center of town, a 1 minute walk to the grocery store (open 24 hours a day) and the market, best place to buy the cheapest freshest produce around. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They told me about tours they offer as well as being a great source of information for what to do in Boquete or in the whole of Panama. There was one guy that everyone called the Danimal. he was truly fantastic! The tours here are amazing as well! the triple combo, where you go to the waterfalls, mini canyon, and hot springs in one day is great. you get to see so much in one day and it is by far the cheapest place in town. The bike tours are also a lot of fun. you get to see a part of panama that you would never see normally. Also you end the trip in the mini canyon where you can jump in and cool down. when you are finished swimming try your hand at rock climbing out. I didn't get it my first try, but after a little while I got up. Another tour I did was the coffee tour at Finca Milagrosa. It was totally worth it. I learned so much about the coffee process and the owner made all of his machines out of an old car and washing machine which was really interesting.

Take care Mamallena, I love you!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I travelled to Boquete in March 2012 with two of my girlfriends. We were coming from Bocas del Toro and had initially booked our first night with a different hostel in Boquete. However, having taken a shuttle from Almirante straight to Boquete (organized by the wonderful staff at Hostel Mamallena) and after getting to know the staff and people at Mamallena, we decided to spend our second night there. We had originally planned to stay no more than two nights in Boquete, but we fell in love with this beautiful town and ended up staying a total of 5 days, 4 spent at Hostel Mamallena.

We were very easily accommodated in a private room (1 double bed plus bunk beds) which was quite spacious and clean. The staff was not only very friendly and helpful but also very knowledgeable. The hostel runs their own tours and we took advantage of a few which were reasonably priced, not to mention lots of fun. We got to meet people from all over the world while at Mamallena and we always felt safe. The staff there were always available and really knew how to make one feel welcome while on the road! We made such good friends while there and had such a great time getting to know the staff and travelers from around the world.

Great, clean, affordable place to stay at! Not to mention lots of fun times! We will most definitely return to Boquete and Hostel Mamallena! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Nice hostel with friendly staff. They aranged barbecue for those who wanted for a small fee, and they made some really good food for us! Very social and fun! The dorm was ok, but the private was really nice, with hot shower!! Overall a good stay!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a private!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple