We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boquete
Tinamou Cottages
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We are very sad to write this review of such a lovely place, as we have traveled all over and stayed at hundreds of hotels, B@Bs, and cottages and have always been happy even if something was not perfect, including the hosts, as we are really laid back.

My husband and I stayed in the Great Tinamou cottage for 12 days ( It was very nice, homey, clean...) Hans (one owner) was very sweet and helpful to us about the area, and we always had positive exchanges with him, but we had a few exchanges with, and one request, from his wife Terry (the other owner) that will keep us from ever returning or recommending Tinamou to anyone.

At the beginning of the stay, she approached us and said that the maid informed her that she saw that one of us had slept on top of a bed comforter one night. (I said the bed was hard for me in the small bedroom, so I laid on top of it one night to soften it....) She responded, "You cant do that." She went on to say that I could not sleep that way because it is made of real feathers and will flatten it and that the comforter came all the way from Holland....as she went on about her precious comforter, she did not offer any solution, apology, or alternative. Shocked, I asked her if she could make the bed softer by using an extra pillow top. Here, I was coming up with a solution, not her, after such an invasion, but I felt side-blinded in the moment. She added a blanket underneath, it didn’t work...but the issue was that we were being invaded and micro-managed on how we slept.

As former rental property owners ourselves, and my husband being a 17 year employee at a 5 star hotel in New York City, part of running hotels and B@B's is the planning for wear and tear on bedding, furniture, etc., and if owners are concerned and picky over some "special" bedding, it has no business being in a rental property.

A few days later, my husband nicely asked her if he could get some laundry done, (just a couple pairs of shorts and t shirts) maybe by Maria, the house cleaner? as she was already laundering towels, sheets, etc. . Terry responded "Oh NO, no, no,!!! She can’t do that!! My god, she is pregnant." We knew that. When we met her, we all talked and giggled about her "baby on the way", plus we are not blind and callous. Her response to our question had us feeling as if we just asked for some horrible thing. We actually gave her a ride home one night when we saw her on the road walking home from her job there, at night, alone, pregnant. It was just an innocent question. We politely said ok, we understood, but were left cold.

We have never in our many years of travel had a manager or owner encroach on how we sleep in the bedding.

For the rest of our stay, we avoided making any extra contact with them, like booking tours, accept some directions from Hans, and went about the rest of our vacation relying on people in town of Boquete, and elsewhere for our questions, concerns, and needs.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisamasters
Tinamou, Owner at Tinamou Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

Hello Lisa, I'm shocked, hurt and surprised you bring this out and so public, it says more about you than me !
During your 12 day stay (11 days plus one day extra !) you gave us the impression that you and your husband were very happy and our adjustments all where O.K.

We ask our guest on arrival, please let us know directly if something is not working properly and if we can help in any way.
And you did ask on arrival if we can make the second bed room available.
No problem for us, so I made an extra bed for you and you gave me the impression that you were happy .

The next day when cleaning your cottage, we noticed that you where using one of the feather duvet as a mattress topper.
I explained, we make the beds with real feather duvets and by using the duvet this way if will damage and we cannot use it any more ...
You clearly understood and I friendly ask you if I could remove the duvet and again did explain why....this all was O.K. with you !
I offered to put another/extra fluffy mattress protector and put a fleece blanket on top to make the mattress softer for you.
"fantastic, great idea" your words !

Laundry.
It was not possible to use Rosbely (No maid or Maria here) for your laundry, I explained she had a difficult pregnancy and she only was allow to do some light work .
You were happy with the alternative I gave you, in the form of a really good and inexpensive laundry service in Boquete, again you gave us the impression this was a good solution !

During your stay, we have asked you several times if everything was O.K. and constantly you both told us you where happy !

Now I'm sorry and sad to read you felt differently but to blame me personally is low, you had all the chance to tell us.
If you did (within reason) we at least had a change do to make your stay perfect.
Within reason because when you rent a cottage, we may expect from you to respect the cottage and we have the right to protect our property.

We are puzzled you left happy.. after even staying one night longer !
We had a nice goodbye chat and you where sad to leave.. !

So what happens with the nice guest we had.. ? what makes you go in full character and business assassination mode ?

Is it possible you where expecting too much of your stay..?
We offer a beautiful cottage a nice relaxing stay in and close to nature and possibly even a temporary hiding place from your problems..but we cannot solve them for you...

We hope you will find your way... Hans & Terry

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I agree with the other recent reviews. We stayed in Little Tinamou Cottage. Very comfortable, quiet, great bed. We felt like we were in the jungle but with lots of comfort. Hans and Terry were wonderful hosts and provided very helpful information on self-guided hiking opportunities and restaurants. Sampling all the different coffees in the mornings and eating breakfast on the patio was fun. Coffee grown on the farm was also provided so we could make it in the french press provided in the kitchen. We had a car so getting to and from the cottage wasn't a problem. Walking on the trails on the farm was also enjoyable. On a side note - if you want to book birdwatching tours with Terry or hiking/excursions with Hans, book ahead. They get very busy fast.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rorinho
Reviewed February 13, 2011

The cottages are fantastic for independent travelers: they have a small kitchen, a spacious living room with a large private deck, a good-sized bathroom, and 2 bedrooms. Each morning, Terry drops off a basket by your door containing breads and a special coffee of the day, grown on one of the local plantations. You can hike the trails right on the property, or simply sit on your deck and watch birds from there. Terry and Hans give the best coffee tour in town (based at the Kotowa plantation), as well as outdoor tours for hikers and birders.

The only downside for us (which prevented us from giving a 5* review) was that the road up the mountain was not yet paved. Even though we had rented a small SUV, it was a chore to drive up and down that road a few times each day, and we actually curtailed some of our plans because we didn't feel like braving the rocky road one more time. Hans expects the road will be paved very soon, however, and that will make a huge difference for future visitors.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dyova
Reviewed December 22, 2010

My husband & my stay was fabulous! The cottage was terrific- cozy & functional; wonderful linens on the bed, thick luxurious towels, perfect size cottage for a romantic experience in the middle of the rain forest. Our hosts, Hans & Terry took us on great tours & birdwatching. They were extremely gracious & helpful with information about the area & how best to get around.
Every morning we had fresh local coffee brewed for us & wonderful breads & pastry.
I highly recommend this place if you want to experience the rain forest in comfort!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I have to say I had some apprehension about staying a few miles from town after reading earlier reviews on road conditions. Hans has addressed this by providing a list of taxi drivers using 4wd trucks. We ended up with reliable transport to town and met some of the hard working locals who provided insight and local tours in the Boquete area.

I was also concerned that the cottage might be tiny and outdated. Little Tinamou Cottage has been completely remodeled and now has a cozy open feel inside with a relaxing outdoor porch equipped with humming bird feeder and house dog Spot occasionally dropping by.

Hans took us to his off the map trail that is comparable to the Quetzale trail without all the stream crossings and mud sliding. He guided us along this beautiful trail loaded with tropical plants to a waterfall for coffee and snacks.

Hans has gathered quite a bit of local knowledge in his 12+ years in the area. He knows people on all levels in this town. When we go back he will be my go to guy for local tours and general info.

Each morning we woke up to a pot of Hans coffee and local pastries while watching several hummingbirds zoom up to the feeder out on the porch. After breakfast we hiked a couple hours on his trail system to see a big variety of tropical plants, trees and streams.

I normally have several critical comments about a place but the only thing I could think of was I would like to see more hooks on the bathroom wall to hang my wet hiking clothes and maybe a better section of road heading up the hill.

Hans really made the experience complete. We look forward to going back to meet his wife Terry and do more adventures in this gorgeous area of Panama.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2010

An unexpected discovery in the most pleasant sense! We had booked a highly recommended bird watching excursion with Terry, one of the owners of the Tinamou. We chanced upon the accomodations which she and her husband Hans also offered. We spent a night and loved it. If Boquete weren't so far from Montreal, we'd be back every summer! These are more than cottages - they are small houses located by a private forest with trails galore! As regards access to the town, it isn't really all that difficult if you stick to the main road. Clean, comfortable and with many small touches that convinced us of the savoir-faire of the hosts. A bargain for two bedrooms!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Waking up and having breakfast in the company of squirrels and humming birds is amazing. Sitting on your balcony at night, and hearing nothing but the sounds of the forest is just as good. And without mosquitos !!

The cottages are lovely, but the beds are a bit small. The shower lacks pressure, but you can get a bit of hot water. There is no ac, but because of the elevation (1.100 m) temperatures are mild, so you don't really need it.

The biggest advantage of this lodge (the location) is the biggest downside as well. It is quite far from town and the road doesn't really deserve to be called a road. Walking to town in daylight is possible (45 min) but walking back in the dark and uphill is not an option. It is no problem getting a ride to town from the owners, but getting a taxi back is not easy. We managed to do so, but sometimes it can take more than half an hour to find a taxi willing to take you there. Hans and Terry are willing to pick you up if absolutely neccesary (they even lended me a cell phone to contact them) but that's only if you have no other option left.

Hans and Terry are great hosts, and the trips they do are well-organised, rewarding and great fun.

The standard breakfast is simple (which is good if you have to leave early) and can be upgraded on request. There is no restaurant. You can cook your own meal (the cottage has a kitchen with 4-burner range, fridge etc) if you like. Nice restaurants in town are Panamonte and The Rock. A good place for lunch is Bistro Boquete.

If you like more than water, be sure to buy some drinks in a supermarket in town before you get to the hotel. There is a fridge, but it's empty.

All in all it is a bit hard to get there, but if you can overcome that, it is more than worthwhile.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple