“Overpriced appetizers for the portions given”
Review of Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu
Ranked #31 of 109 Restaurants in Boquete
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Visited for lunch and was very much looking forward to sampling the Peruvian ceviche.

My husband and I decided to order just appetizers and no entrees and a pisco sour. So I am only rating as such.

We ordered 2 corvina ceviches: Decent portions for $6.95. You could probably eat this as an entree for one if you really wanted. Big sized chunks of fish. Though they were probably soaking in the lime for a bit long and they were shabbily cut with many pieces still stuck together so you would get a huge piece. Lots of white and purple onions. Maybe a bit too much.

Ask for some aji if you want it spicy.

We also ordered the anticuchos which came with 2 sticks of skewered beef heart. Perfectly grilled and marinated.

Papas rellenas (Fried mashed potato ball with minced beef inside). Quite good but could have used more filling.

The Grilled Octopus (Pulpo) was quite disappointing at $9.95 came only a couple lengthwise cut grilled tentacles. Too rubbery and flavourless.

The pisco sour tasted ok but not limey. It wasn't that light green colour that the usual pisco sour is but was pink. Perhaps tainted by the nutmeg?

Surprisingly there was only one other couple in the restaurant for lunch when we went. Perhaps more of a dinner spot?

Staff got the orders correct but the service was not personable at all. No smiles. Did refill our waters once. But not at the end when we were quite thirsty.

Wanted to like this place but will have to try the other Peruvian restaurants around. Likely will not be returning.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is a companion to its sister restaurant in Panama City. There are three Peruvian restaurants in Boquete and this is reportedly the best of the bunch. Reasonable prices and a very extensive menu. As usual when I am eating in Panama, I look for the fresh fish and I was not disappointed. Had the ubiquitous sea bass and it was great. Very generous proportions. Friendly service. This restaurant is a bit tricky to find (one block behind the main drag) but close to everything. There are a few tables outside and a fair number inside. I ate lunch inside on a particularly hot day and the air conditioning was welcome. Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The food was only so-so and the prices were high. We really didn't care for this place. Our dinner was somewhat flavorless and greasy. We both had seafood dishes and decided there were much better and cheaper places to eat in Boquete.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We ate dinner here the first night we landed in Boquete. We ordered a Pisco Sour drink each. It was excellent and we relished every drop of it. For appetizers we ordered Fish Fritters (which we had tried in Panama City and loved) but were very disappointed as they were very tiny and very fried We had the Black Rice cooked with sea food for the main entree - which was very good and the portion was large. We also had fried plantains for a side and they were very good too. Service was very good. We were surprised that there was hardly anyone else in this restaurant with beautiful Peruvian decor.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I needed some time to decide what kind of drink I wanted. We decided to order o,5 ltr. sangria. They gave us a liter instead (We realised this later, I don't think this is a nice way to 'sell more') . They asked two times if we didn't want to order starters. The food was very nice, but I thought the waiters were a bit pushy.