“Good location, good price”
Review of Hostal Boquete

Hostal Boquete
Ranked #34 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Boquete
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hostel Boquete only one night in June 2012, but we got a pretty good fix on it. We wanted to stay one day longer at our first hostel in Boquete, but couldn't because of incoming guests, so we dropped in on Hostel Boquete at night and spoke with the clerk, who said she had a room available, and she showed us room 8. It was clean and big enough for two beds and our luggage, with a slanted ceiling and low door to the bathroom, but for $27.50 (June is the low season) was fine for us. We didn't commit until the next morning, and when I went to check in, the clerk gave me the key and said no need to pay her anything until we were ready to leave. The hostel is right on the river, whose sound was pleasant for us but might be irritating to some. The woman who recommended the place didn't like the noise at all, while two German travelers whose room was facing the river loved it. There is a deck overlooking the river on the second floor, and another, bigger one, with a barbecue grill and tables, on the ground floor. There's also a communal kitchen there, pretty well stocked with dishes, utensils, and cookware. We shopped for food at the local store, Romero's, and prepared a barbecue for ourselves and three new friends, and it was very pleasant to sit and eat in the evening with the river and the wind. The staff were very nice to hook up the gas for the grill at no charge, and we met five other guests, all very friendly. We invited them to join us, but they declined. We had a good sleep, although the mattress was old and saggy. We checked out in the late morning, when we paid our bill and thanked our hosts. No complaints for the price. Oh, and a tip: Get your morning capuccino at Romero's only a block away. A small is $.40, a large $1.50, and quite good.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back overlook the river, and the river sound is louder there.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 10, 2012

For a small amount you get a basic, clean and private room. The location is okay next to the river.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have visited this place 3 times (febr 2010 , nov 2010, and most recently march 2012) and under three different managers. New ownership is changing a few things. Even though I have been surpised by changes each time , management has always been friendly and helpful to me.
I have stayed in bedrooms on first floor , second floor on river front and street front , both fronts are nice..river is great with sound of the water...once during my stay in nov 2010 music was loud across the river , because it was independence day celebrations.

I`m sure you can find a better place to stay ,but at a price. If you want low cost , clean and friendly , this is it!
If/when I make it back to Boquete ,this will be where I stay again!

Room Tip: during festivals stay on street side...other times try to get a room overlooking the river, the soun...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Our guide book (which was outdated by 4 years, our mistake for still trying to use it), stated that this place was an "excellent value", so we decided to stay here during our first night in Boquete. We arrived to an empty front desk and waited nearly 10-15 minutes for someone to walk by and help us. After inquiring if they had a room available, we were told that they did, but that it would need to be cleaned and that it would take about 30 minutes. We decided to book it and waited in the lobby while the room was being cleaned. We noticed, as another reviewer pointed out, that during our stay the place was basically run by 2 young girls who ran the front desk and also did the cleaning. Although somewhat friendly, they were not the most professional at times; but then again, this is a hostal and not The Marriot. When our room was finished, the girls who were cleaning it came out and started hanging out by the front desk and did not immediately tell us the room was ready. After a few minutes of us looking at each other and at them, they finally acknowledged us and told us the room was ready.
As for the room, we were a bit disappointed with the cleanliness of it. It seemed it had not been thoroughly cleaned: We found a pair of underwear in the bathroom, and there was a strange mildewy smell coming from the shower curtains which emanated into the whole room. There was also a strong Febreze/ Lysol type smell on the pillows and sheets, as if they had only been sprayed down but not changed. Furthermore, they had only given us 2 towels total - no washcloths, extra towels etc. I inquired about getting another towel (an exercise which took a few tries. See above: place being run by 2 employees), but was told they would not have any more until the next day.
As advertised, the hostal is situated next to a river; however, as others experienced, there seemed to be some sort of concert or festival across the river that basically drowned out the river sounds while it was going on. Luckily it seemed to end by 9pm or so, but it was quite loud when it was going on. Not sure how often this takes place, but do keep it in mind when deciding to stay here. The river noise, when heard, was quite nice.
Its hard to be too critical of this place; as mentioned it is a budget hostal. At the time of this writing our room was around $35. I would recommend this place to those on an extreme budget, perhaps younger travelers/ backpackers or anyone simply looking for a place to sleep who doesn't plan on spending much time in their room and needs minimal service or attention. I would probably advise against going here if you are very particularly about cleanliness or service or seeking tranquility.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
MIKEPS21, Owner at Hostal Boquete, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

I truly apologize about the experience that you had during your stay with us. Even though we are a budget hostel it does not negate the fact about the quality of service you were to receive. Steps will be taken to correct this problem. The first step that will be implemented will be starting with myself. I (as owner) will be on premises starting in August. I take service very seriously and can assure you that the improvements that I make will be substantial. It is true that we are not a Marriot hotel, but that does mean that you can't get the best service achievable. As far as the festivals, they occur during the Panamanian holidays and can get quite loud. Free earplugs should have been provided to you. Aside from the festival, we at Hostal Boquete strive to make your stay as tranquil as possible. We hope that the next time you decide to come to beautiful Boquete that you will try us again and notice the changes that WILL have occurred. I would also like to thank you for your response because it helps me to pinpoint problems. Thank you.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Hostal Boquete is located really well - just behind the main square, one block away from a 24 hour supermarket, and right on the river so you feel at one with the natural surroundings (the gushing water IS really loud, which didn't bother me at all, but seems to have bothered other reviewers). The terraces/balconies overlooking the river provide a really nice space to relax. The rooms are ok - a little dark, low quality furnishings, and a slightly damp smell in my room - but for the price of $33/night, it was fine. The free use of two computers/internet in reception was a big bonus also - IF you could get in to reception to use them.... which leads me on to my gripe about service...

The place was run (at least when I was there) by two young girls. They seemed to do all the cleaning, organisation and cover reception (occasionally). The problem with this was that, when they were cleaning or having their lunch or dinner or at various other times, reception was locked and you could not access the computers or get help straight away - you would have to search the hotel for the girls, sometimes you could not find them at all. In fact, when I first arrived at the hotel - tired, with my heavy bag - I had to run around through the whole place looking for someone to let me in/check me in. When you did find them, they were perfectly nice. But it's not an ideal situation with regard to service. Also, I'm not sure my room got cleaned every day...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank elklondon01
MIKEPS21, Owner at Hostal Boquete, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

I wish to thank you for the review. As of Jan. renovations have begun in the Kitchen, lobby and most importantly the rooms, in an effort to provide an even more relaxing atmosphere to our guests. On the issue of service, I once again thank you and wish to apologize for the service you felt you received. When staying at the hostal, occupied rooms that wish to have their room cleaned daily (as posted) should notify the desk and it will be done. Otherwise staff will not enter an occupied room unless in an emergency. I use Tripadvisor as a sort of roadmap to find what may be called "bumps in the road". The fact that you found nobody or found it difficult to get assistance is troubling and I assure you that steps will be taken to solve the problem. I hope that this incident does not discourage you from coming again and seeing the improvements first hand or if not with us, at least to beautiful Boquete.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and loved the location ....sort of. I showed up in Boquete in the middle of holiday festival so my choice of accommodations was limited. However this was a nice place except across the river from my nice little room was the nightclub that went on til 4am....thank god for ear plugs! Having said all that the location is nice close to the main street where there are plenty of restaurants and tour companies and very close to the grocery store. The Hostal also has a couple of computers they allow you to use for free which was very useful. The ladies that run the hostal are very nice and accommodating but their English is limited, but we were able to communicate.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2012

When i arrived everything looked great, as we were staying for a few days they did a discount ( until there great) next they there was no more kitchen so most of my food was not useful. They told me next day would be ready ( it didnt) so i decided to talk with the person in charge. She never appeared also the guys working there told me that wifi and kitchen were not included in the price, can you belive this? The told me i had bad luck because i arrived just when they were about to modify this, of course they didnt said anything when i arrived

So i could never recomend this hostal again, maybe mamallena is much better

• Stayed: January 2012

I am sorry for your experience, but as you yourself said you were given a discount and signs were posted that the Kitchen is under renovation. Granted, I have instructed the staff to verbally notify guests that certain areas are under renovations, but that does not nullify the fact that signs were posted The staff was correct, the use of the kitchen and internet are free and not included in the price of the room. So to ask for your money back after staying a few days (as you said yourself) is unreasonable.