“nice hotel”

Hotel Valle del Rio
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Boquete
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel is a little out dated as other reviews have said, but is very clean and comfortable. The hotel is a short walk from the main part of town. There is a restaurant in the hotel, we only ate lunch once in it, but it was good. The front desk staff spoke good english and were very helpful. The only down side was the wifi did not work in our room so always had to go to the lobby to use the internet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelValledelRio, Propietario at Hotel Valle del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest
I really appreciate you comments about our Small Hotel but with all do respect I do not understand the Outdated part. Our Rooms have all the confort and amenities available today Like Mini Bar, quality bedding, excellent furniture, hair dryer, Safe, Coffee maker etc.. and we have just installed a panoramic Elevator. Our bar has all the spirits and a large selection of Wines and our restaurant is one of the best of the area With six 50" Plasmas for watching sports, News etc..
and the Hotel is 4 Years Old.
We do not advertise WiFI in the rooms but we do have Wired internet.
I sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to exceed you expectations and look upon us with a different perspective.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Excellent value--very affordable price for excellent service, great beds, great location. Located just before the entrance to Valle Escondido, you can easily walk just several blocks back into Bajo Boquete town. I even took a walk at night under the moon and stars and it was lovely, safe, back off the main roads. Rooms are good size with refrigerator, great shower, balcony looking onto river. Restaurant terrace outside by river. Friendly, speedy, helpful bilingual staff. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: We liked upstairs with a slightly higher up view of the river and mountains. We like close to the st...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very helpful and very friendly staff in wonderfully decorated hotel in a beautiful location. This is one of the best hotels in Panama. Everything is clean and beautifully designed, with a great view from most of the rooms. The best thing here is the service. The receptionists here were very helpful in finding and booking activities in Boquete. They let us stay for a late check-in until 3pm with no problem. They also let us leave our car here for a few days AFTER we checked out. When the battery died, they helped us find someone to fix it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alex N
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The location of Valle del Rio is perfect: a short hike from the bustle of the town's main drag, nestled next to a narrow river/creek. Their sign comes up pretty fast after you round the bend (watch for the casino dice). There's a steep driveway (which tested our tiny rental car) & ample parking.

The lobby is warm and welcoming, as were all of the front desk staff we dealt with. The 4-story atrium over the front desk is striking, as is the number of WiFi-hungry hotel guests maneuvering for a signal in the lobby.

The room had a pleasant balcony overlooking the river with amazing vistas of the surrounding cloud forest and mountains. The sight of the mist rolling over lush hills as flocks of yellow birds darted around our balcony was one of the best recollections of our Panama visit.

We left the balcony door open to hear the water rushing all night and birds at dawn. Lots of closet space, clean banos, nice mattress, coffeemaker, fridge, safe, big TV. Iffy hot water during peak times, but ample during off-peak. The breakfast was OK (decent papaya & pina for me, so-so huevos for the spouse). The dining area offers great views of the mountainside and river.

We dined there one night: nice ambiance, attentive service, affordable. And my Trucha Almondina (trout) was fantastic, one of my best meals in a 10-day trip.

For some reason, we had to switch our room on the 3rd night to a first floor unit above the bar (which was blasting Lionel Richie for a few hours). The new room was the same set-up as the first one, but less of a view and a balcony door we felt safer shutting at night. Despite that disappointment, I'd recommend Hotel Valle del Rio.

Room Tip: Don't get the room right about the bar.
1  Thank cdub333
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel is relatively new, but its maintenance program seems not to exist. There are leaks from bathroom to the wall facing the room, problems with cable TV connection, no Wi Fi in room, only in the public areas, which is not understood.
The food is terrible, both the breakfast that is very very poor, as in the food for sale in restaurants.
The amazing thing is that under a bar and rooms during our stay was quite loud, rang reception and finally the noise stopped, but I still do not understand the design, or the hotel.
Anyway, the hotel is not what I expected.

2  Thank Carmen507
HotelValledelRio, Gerente at Hotel Valle del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Carmen
Thanks for taking the time to review our Hotel, All do they are thinks we do not understand.
1. We have checked the room you stayed ( 101 ) and we have not found any leeks, we wished you had showed us your concern while you where here so we would have taken measures, Our maintenance program is very serious and we invest a lot to keep it looking new.
2.We have also revised the cable connection and unfortunately we believe you did not know how to use the cable box remote. Again we do not understand why you did not alert maintenance to show you the proper way to set it up. We use Cable Onda service in our Hotel and we are very proud of the service they provide with the digital cable boxes installed in our rooms.
3. I cant stress the WIFI issue enough. We do not advertise Wifi in the rooms, only in public areas. We do have CABLED internet in our rooms.
Finally I apologize for the noise you you heard in your room, it was for a short while because of a speaker gone bad in bar. this problem has being fixed.
We hope you give us second opportunity in the future to demonstrate our strength.
Regards Manegement.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel December 17th-19th and the location was stunning, with wonderful balconies off the rooms and just a short drive to town.
The down side was the service at the front desk and the onsite restaurant. We found on all but one occasion the front desk staff could not have cared less. The worst case was when we asked if they had directions to help us get to David Airport as we were leaving at 6am the next morning and the young man at the desk looked up, shrugged and grunted no in Spanish, then looked back down at the desk.
We were also thrilled to find that cafe Pomodoro was onsite as we'd had some wonderful meals at their restaurant in Panama. However the service was the worst we'd had throughout Panama, if not ever. We had to ask for side plates for our bread, we had to ask for cutlery, the pasta was swimming in oil (more of a pasta soup) and then we had to track them down for the bill. If it is Pomodoro in Panama, they would do well to pull out of this property as it is tarnishing their fantastic reputaion

1  Thank rufus1959
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We decided to go to Panama just a few weeks before Christmas so there weren't many hotels still available to choose from. After reading the various reviews, we decided to stay at the Hotel Valle Del Rio for the two nights that we were in Boquete. First, let me start with the pros. It's a 5 minute walk from the town which was convenient for us because it was a short walk to the office of Boquete Outdoor Adventures. The rooms were large and very clean and contrary to some of the reviews I read where people complained about the hot water in the showers, we didn't have any problems at all. Once you let the water run for a couple of minutes, the shower was hot with good water pressure and stayed hot! We were on the second floor which gave us privacy and the balcony overlooked the river. In the morning, I loved getting up early, listening to the whoosh of the river and the many birds that flew right around us and could be spotted in the treetops.

The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great too. Both me and my husband slept very well. And, they never missed a wake up call (when we stayed at a boutique hotel in Casco Viejo in Panama city, the hotel never gave us a wake up call and thankfully, we had set our I phones as a back up).

On the flip side, the breakfast was just ok. No orange juice but some orange drink that was like Tang (haven't had that since I was a kid). They had big chafing dishes of scrambled eggs and some type of spicy meatball. A toaster WAS available and there were two kinds of bread with butter and marmalade as well as mini muffins. Fresh cut up pineapple and melons were also served. So, while it wasn't as varied as some of the breakfasts we've had in other places, it was certainly adequate. And, it was enjoyable to sit on the porch by the river and enjoy breakfast while listening to the river sounds.

The only negative with the room was that the door to the bathroom should have opened so the door would go out rather than into the bathroom. It nearly touched the edge of the sink which meant that you'd have to close it in order to get to the toilette. Again, it wasn't that big an issue but ergonomically speaking, it was a poor design.

We didn't have any meals at the hotel because the locals told us that it wasn't very good. That said, we don't normally eat in our hotels when we travel. One of the local expat Americans who owns a coffee farm in Boquete recommended that we go to Big Daddy's and we certainly weren't disappointed. It was the best meal we had in Boquete - fabulous fish tacos and the fish tasted like it had just been caught that afternoon.

There was no internet signal in the rooms so you had to use the wifi in the lobby. It worked fine until the morning we checked out because there was a black out during the night in the entire town and it knocked out the internet cable.

We didn't use the gym so we can't say what it was like because we had booked tours with Boquete Outdoor Adventures and we were leaving early in the morning each day.

The final issue we had is the following; we booked the room via Booking.com and I was charged for one of the two nights as a deposit. I always check my credit card statements and the week before we left, I specifically saw the charge. However, they made us pay for the two nights when we checked out because they said that they don't accept Amex and I had paid with booking.com with my Amex card. So, I paid them for the two nights and when I return, I'll have to get a refund from Booking.com. I'm not concerned because Amex will certainly protect me as long as I have proof of the charge on the Amex plus I have the receipt for the two nights from the hotel. So, I know I'll get it straightened out but it's still something that has never happened to me before and I'm a fairly frequent traveler taking from 3 - 4 trips per year. So, if you use booking.com, use a visa or mastercard instead of Amex.

Room Tip: The river view was nice
1  Thank manhattanmom