“Solid little hotel”

Hotel Valle del Rio
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Boquete
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Valle del Rio Hotel in Boquete earlier this month. There aren't too many hotels in town so we decided to try this. The rooms are nicely appointed with a comfortable bed. The balcony overlooks a garden and the river. The service was very good, and just about everybody spoke English. We had wifi problems and the front desk clerk did everything she could, to help us. She finally brought us a cable and that worked better. Wifi in the lobby and the restaurants is free and pretty good. In the rooms there isn't any. The restaurant "Pommodoro" is fine for breakfast, but our dinner wasn't so great. We never went to the Wine bar, but it was very popular with locals. There is a small "Casino", which consists of some slot machines. But if you feel lucky, you can go there. They also have a small gym.. They have their own "green" sewer waste plant, which prevents you from flushing Toilet paper. I'm sure there are some that appreciate that. We don't.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Valle del Rio

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My gf and I stayed here for 5 days in a 2nd floor room above the river and we loved the fabulous view and the serenity it offers. Breakfast was included in the price, and was very good, with bread, juices and coffee, fresh fruit and choices of eggs (boiled, omelet or scrambled...). Service was excellent from the front desk to the restaurant. Eduardo and Hanna at the front desk were very courteous and friendly, and of big help in answering our questions. Only a 5 min easy walk to town, which was quite pleasant even during the rain (with the umbrellas from the hotel).

Room Tip: Get a room with the river view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is was our second stay in Hotel Valle del Rio and it was even better than the first. As soon as you walk in the lobby you are greeted by the most wonderful smiles and welcome. We got a king bed in a fairly large room. The room was very clean and the bed very comfy with high quality bedding. There is a flat screen tv with cable and a refrigerator in the room. There is a balcony that overseas a stream and a beautiful mountain and valley. The room rate included breakfast (sit down) which included fruit, eggs made to order (with ham and/or bacon), bread, juice and coffee. There is also a restaurant and bar on-site with a wonderful veranda overlooking the stream; nice to enjoy a lovely glass of wine and enjoy the great weather and ambiance. The hotel is in a very good location within walking distance to the downtown center. VERY relaxing and wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a better view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I spent two weeks at this hotel to study Spanish at Habla Ya (covered in another review). I chose the hotel because of its proximity to town for my classes and the fact that it has a bar and restaurant and was willing to pay extra for the room and meals/beer. Home stays with local families was not possible because, as a security professional, I needed access to WIFI to check in with my Network Operations Center and contact my company via Skype if necessary. The WIFI was good and sufficient to support a Skype conversation 90% of the time.

The hotel is like a cross between a bed and breakfast and chain hotel. Clearly the creators put their hearts into the operation with the goal of making the property inviting. In retrospect, I made a good decision on this hotel and will return and can recommend the hotel to others.

In General

In general, the staff at the hotel bent over backwards to help me with any request I had with a smile. They laughed at my jokes, which is tremendous because my students often do not laugh at my jokes. They were professional, but so genuinely nice; I really got attached to most of them. The young ladies that worked during the day helped me with every request and the young man in the evening made special trips to get me ICE on request.

The Room

Upon my arrival I was greeted by a very professional young man who took me to my room and showed me where everything was. The room was immaculate and attention was certainly paid to the experience. Some of the details included ceramic tile, furnishings, and a bathroom that wouldn’t be there if I could have escaped with it in my suitcase. They also left the sliding glass door open so that I could hear the river outside. That was nice to sleep too!

However, without WIFI in the room, I had to go downstairs to the lobby and make calls and check on work. Confidential calls were a bit difficult because of this. WIFI in the rooms can be a nice enhancement and potential revenue generator as the hotel expands.

The housekeeping staff was excellent and they took care of some laundry for me. The room was cleaned every day and they even had a towel sculpture in the bathroom.

The Restaurant-Bar

The Restaurant/Bar is highly underrated in my humble opinion. Although I am a non-wine drinker, I am reluctant to begin a discussion about the bar without pointing out the Sangria (with apple chunks) as one of the most interesting drink I have had in a long time. The food was very good with a meticulous attention to presentation and flavor. The bartender was very friendly, remembered my name, and greeted me as a friend, even in the lobby of the hotel if our paths crossed. The staff, without exception, was almost obsessed with impressing their guests and in two weeks it was interesting to see them work as a team to provide the best possible experience.

However, when I travel alone, I like to meet new people and network in the bar. The bar was generally empty and there could probably have been more promotions to fill the seats a little more. In addition, one of the mangers was a bit abrasive with his staff, interrupting me when talking to them with a raised voice without introducing himself. This was a bit uncomfortable for me as a guest on a few occasions and I was hoping that I wasn’t getting them in trouble by talking to them. However, on the last night, I got to know the manager and realized he is a good man that really cares about the operation. As he is there longer, I hope he learns to have more fun like he did the last night, and joins his staff in making a personal connection with the customers so there are more interesting people for me to meet when I return.

I cannot finish this review without talking about the breakfast. There was a buffet, but they made me eggs to order every morning the food, like dinner, was very good and fast. They let me study in the patio dining room during the weekend as well. The best part is that the price was included as part of the room.

This hotel was a bit more expensive than the others, but I feel that I received value for my extra investment. I miss the staff and wish I had more time to get to know the manager as he was a good man. I look forward to returning to further advance my study of Spanish. I hope that others enjoy this wonderful place as much as I did.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank chipcouncil
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Extremely nice, very helpfull personell, excellent location. Room is very good

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

We wanted to thank you for the heading of your Trip Advisor review of our Hotel. To be called "heaven On Earth" makes us work even harder to please costumers like you.
We appreciate you business and hope to be able to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

The room was very clean, and the river running through the back of the hotel can be heard all day & night which was relaxing. The bed was extremely comfortable! so were the many huge pillows! We didn't try any of the restaurants because there are more inexpensive (and better tasting-according to visitors and locals) in the area. ie, Sugar & Spice Dulces Gourmet and Big Daddy's Grill.

Service was very good. When we arrived the young lady took us up to our room, 3rd floor, and showed us where the switches for lights & fan were, and the moment she turned on the light, only 1 bulb worked out of the 4 and she said she will be back soon to fix that. In less than 10minutes she had two other employees with her to fix it. We didn't see a swimming pool, but then again we didn't look for one so cant comment on that.

The computer in the lobby was slow, and so was the internet. Bring your own laptop and try the wifi-not sure if that will work better though.

FYI: This hotel is practically across the street from the hotel Valle Escondido (which is much more expensive). If you would like to see the waterfall but not pay so much, just stay here and cross the street :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamiprincesa84
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed for one day in this lovely place. The hotel is very good, well located, very clean. The stuff is very friendly too. The included breakfast is basic but good.
The Wifi didn't worked for us.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family