All reviews private room in town hot shower other travelers hostels kitchen garden hammocks hike
Selected filters
Reviewed March 11, 2019 via mobile

Staff is super friendly and speaks very good English. You can organize all excursions and Transports from Hostel. Very helpful with all Kinds of questions.

Public rooms are very clean but also cold.

Had a private room and bath and expected it to be in a bit better condition.

However very Central Hostel and nice atmosphere.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2019

Refugio del Rio has got two parts - Hostal Garden and Buena Vista. We stayed in Buena Vista. Rooms were basic and very small but clean. The shared areas - bathroom and kitchen were clean too.

Too many rules in the hostel for our taste (see photos).

The main problem was the older Australian man who stays at the hostel long-term. He was rude and behaved as if he owned the place. He was feeding the cats from plates that were used by guests. He was the reason we left the place and moved to another accommodation.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2019 via mobile

A really nice, chilled hostel which was exactly what I was looking for. It has a quiet room which was perfect for me as I love reading, and very helpful information about hiking tours, which is why I was in the area.

Also, the girl at reception told me my Spanish was good, which was very polite as it is average at best, but it made me feel good haha

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2018

We only stayed here for one night but the private room was very clean and the staff was also nice and gave us a nice recommendation for dinner, and the location made it easy for us to explore the town.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2018

The hostel was very clean the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Gina in particular was helpful. They also had instraments for people to play. Had shuttles to both Santa Catalina and Bocas del toro. Free Wifi. Just a nice quiet place to stay. They also had books available with all the things to do in town.

Date of stay: May 2018