“Manage your expectations”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bhurban
Karachi
“Manage your expectations”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

At $165 a night, we expected true five star service. Unfortunately, the PC Bhurban does not deliver that. We were there at what was the start of the off-season, and hence the pool was out of commission, as was the tennis court and business center. Also, only two restaurants were effectively in operation, with the buffet breakfasts and dinners extremely monotonous and forgettable. The Chinese was a better bet. Many services that one would expect as standard in a five star were either missing or available as an extra at an (often exhorbitant) charge.

The hotel seems geared towards day trippers, sales conferences and honeymooners who have never travelled before. Guest expectations appear to be low and standards have dropped to match.

The grounds too have seen better days but are still worth a stroll, and the views are all they cracked up to be. It is a pity that there is piped music all over the grounds drowning out the sounds of nature completely.

In its current state, the PC Bhurban is a three star hotel at best, but with the prices of a five star. There are not very many options in the area of a similar standard, so visitors may not have much of a choice. But keep your expectations low (if you must go) so the disappointment is not too great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
12 Thank mansooree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I came to this hotel expecting great things, and was extremely disappointed. Possibly to drum up business, the management had filled the place with day-trippers for the week-end, clearly paying a fraction of the $150 I paid. Tacky amusements were laid on for these trippers in the grounds, such as air-pistol stands for bursting balloons, the pool was filled with loud mouthed louts, there was shouting in the corridors throughout the night - genuinely awful.

The room I was assigned (541) was located by an exhaust fan from the kitchen, so that the stench of cooking (oddly smelling of barbecue sauce) was present 24 hrs a day, so that you could not open your balcony door without smelling this stench.

The room was OK, but pretty dated and in need of redecoration.

I regularly stay at other Pearl Continental hotels, including the gorgeous Muzaffarabad one, but the Bhurban one had none of the refinement of these.

I suppose because of the day trippers, there was an aura of mistrust among the staff. When I was checking out, I was accosted by a security guard because I didn't have a tag put on by the porter, as if I was trying to steal luggage!

The view in the morning is wonderful, but that kitchen stench put a damper on things. For the high price, this should be a refined spa-type experience, not something comparable to a Pakistani bus station.

A genuinely awful stay. I strongly dissuade any of my colleagues from going there (for the record I am a foreigner working in Pakistan).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
8 Thank jackem888

Travelers are raving about these Bhurban hotels

Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2010

As locations go, this doesn't get any better. Two hours' drive from Islamabad up winding mountain roads - as you get higher, you can actually smell the pine forests - a lovely contrast to the busman's fart you get so used to in South Asian cities.

The views from the hotel are just mind-blowing. The gentle rolling Murree hills in the foreground, and the snow-capped mountains of Kashmir in the distance.

Murree was, famously, an old British hill station - and a lot of the Raj lives on today. Nowhere is this more true than the obvious love of gardens - the hotel gardens, which go on for acres, are pure EM Forster meets Gertrude Jekyll.

The PC at Bhurban really is the only place for a foreign visitor to stay. It's totally comfortable, nut not outstanding. The rooms are spacious - obviously built in the 1960's with a recent "cat's lick and a promise" makeover to give them a more contemporary feel.

Food is acceptable, but not memorable. The service in the Chinese restaurant resembled the speed of rock erosion. And, compared to hotels in the cities, it's expensive - but I guess that's the price you pay for staying in such a beautiful spot.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank richardbate
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We had an executive room - with views of the mountains.
Room with balcony- very well presented, very clean
Room service - excellent - you get whatever you ask for at any time of the day or night
LAN internet access - Rs800 for 24hours (of use)
Restaurants - nice buffet style at the Nadia restaurant
They also arranged to pick us up at the airport in Islamabad. Chauffeur service available at reception for exploring the area.
Excellent customer service, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveller121980
Manchester
Reviewed March 18, 2010

A stay in PC Bhurban should be on any ones list who would like to explore the majestic beauty of Northern Pakistan. The area is simply stunning, the layers of distant mountains, the fresh air and open spaces would be a delight for anyone.
PC Bhurban, is probably the best hotel in this area, its clean and has great views and lovely open spaces. You can tell that this once was a 5 star hotel in its pomp. It is in need of a little updating however and does look dated, probably not much more that a 3 or 4 star hotel.
Food was nice, service was excellent and they organised a driver and 4x4 to help us explore the area...all priceless for our holiday.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank KA69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2010

very clean and friendly. Nice selection of buffet and set meals. Absolutely stunning views.

Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
canada
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I started visiting Pakistan for the first time after I married my Lahori born husband. Last December, we flew from Toronto to Islamabad and drove to Bhurban with my in-laws to spend 2 days in the Murree Hills. They wanted me to see this side of Pakistan.
The drive up to the hotel was spectacular and I was simply in awe.
We arrived at the hotel, where the lobby was fully decked out in Christmas decor as it was just around the corner and it looked beautiful!
It wasn't tourist season at all, so there were no crowds.
We were shown to our rooms which were cute and cosy , but my father in law, being how he is- asked for an upgrade. I was impressed with our first room, but I was speechless in our upgraded room!

We loved our comfortable and spacious bed, fresh fruit awaited us on the little coffee table, and the washroom was spotless. Being the 'prissy norther american that I am' I was very very satisfied with the condition of the room. What amazed me the most however was the majestic view that greeted me every-time I looked out of our massive floor to ceiling window.

On our first evening, after a delicious dinner on the heated terrace we, took advantage of the recreational room where I kicked butt at a game of Karamboard and ping pong, and afterwards enjoyed watching Bollywood's finest movies in the 40 seater theater. My husband and I also attended a folk music show in the auditorium and took a beautiful midnight walk around the pool and outdoor auditorium area (that was vacant because it was off season). We skipped going to the 'disco' (club) because we were too tired and jet lagged.
The staff was extremely friendly and I actually appreciated the heavy security at the entrance of the hotel. It just made me feel safer.
The shops inside the hotel are worth it, I got very original jewelry for which people compliment everytime I wear them.
Dinners and breakfasts were always delicious and fresh and there was tons of variety!
On my last morning, I woke up to the sound of soft thunder in the mountains, and as powerful as it is, it was such an experience to hear it at such a high elevation. I just cant say enough about the beauty of Kashmir in the far off distance.

I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Cleo4e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bhurban
Shangrila Resort Hotel Murree Hills
#2 of 10 in Rawalpindi
Hotel One Skardu
Hotel One Skardu
#1 of 2 in Skardu

Been to Pearl Continental Hotel Bhurban? Share your experiences!