“Historically Best”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sohar
Muscat Governorate, Oman
“Historically Best”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I am regular visitor of this hotel for last 4 years.

As the General Manager once made a statement to me I am improving the hotel inch by inch, and I can see the improvements in the last 4 years.

I like the ambiance, and spacious rooms. Guest will enjoy the large bathroom.Clean and tidy. Extremely good location near the beach .

Only little disturbance I ever faced was when I was in a chalet, and there was a party at the pool side, but other wise rest of the times its been fabulous.

Only down side as one of the reviewer mentioned, is the old TV sets, which I presume is going to be phased out.

Compared to the nearby hotels, it is best in its class..I have complemented that they are better than 5 Star hotels I stayed in UAE.

Overall an excellent hotel..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank JAISON10
SBOM, Manager at Sohar Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
Dear JAISON10,

Thank you for your continuous interest in our hotel, and the positive feedback on your recent stay. Regarding the issue of the TVs, please be informed that we have changed the entire hotel TVs with new 40-inch Interactive LCD ones. We are glad that your stay with us was enjoyable and we indeed hope to welcome you back at our hotel in the near future.

Sohar Beach by Swiss-Belhotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 15, 2010

The hotel is right by the beach, perfect if you just want to swim in the ocean, paddle around in the pool and read in the sun.
The rooms could be better. My husband thought the bed was extremely comfortable. The room needed a new paint job and carpets but the place wasn't dirty. The TV was disappointingly small but then you mustn't go all the way there to watch tv!
The buffet breakfast was good and the sandwiches by the pool were great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
SBOM, Manager at Sohar Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Dear Mitsib66,

We would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sohar Beach by Swiss-Belhotel.

We have shared your comments and feedback with our staff and have taken note of the area's that we can do better (painting job and carpet).

Concerning the issuing of the TV, please be informed that we have recently procured 40-Inch TVs with an interactive LCD interface for all rooms and will be available within 10 days from now.

Once again, thank you for your appreciated comments and we do hope to see you again soon

Sohar Beach by Swiss-Belhotel
Loddekopinge, Sweden
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Nice hotel, many different dishes in the menu, many Oman specialties.
Very nice personal in restaurant.
I checked out at 1700, had to pay half room price.
Big swiming pool.
Nice bar in the pool area.
Security guard walking around the area during night. Safe.
From pool there is only 20 meter to the beach.
Room seems to be little old furnitures.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
hamartia, Manager at Sohar Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2010
Dear Flopp999,

Thank you for your review about Sohar Beach by Swiss-Belhotel, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
I appreciate the comments on the room furniture and can assure you that we are currently working on uplifting them through out the hotel.

I hope to welcome you back at our hotel in the future

Sohar Beach by Swiss-Belhotel Management
Muscat
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We won a complimentary overnight stay at the Sohar Beach Hotel by Swiss Belhotel which is a good stop over point while travelling the 5 hour distance between Muscat and Dubai. We drove down for 1-1/2 hour from Muscat to this beachside, fort-shaped hotel. We were welcomed with a complimentary welcome soft beverage at the reception. The standard rooms are good, some overlooking the garden, others the swimming pool and the sea.

Everything inside the rooms was a traveller’s delight – right from the small balcony and the cupboards to the cosy bed and the superb bathroom. There was even a kettle and tea/coffee packets inside the standard rooms for a hot cuppa.

Being a weekend, my 5-year-old daughter enjoyed splashing in the kid’s pool other with other children while the adults enjoyed in their separate pool.

The standard room for Omani Rials 75 a night comes with a buffet breakfast that is a usual fare. A chef specially prepares eggs the way you want it – fried, poached or anything else.

The food though not fabulous is made up by the homely hotel with friendly staff. The hotel also has a disco with a live band.

My daughter remembers the hotel for the swimming pool and the beach and keeps reminding me that we should go and visit the 4-star Sohar Beach Hotel again.

1 Thank MuscatEye
hamartia, Front Office Manager at Sohar Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2010
Dear Muscateye,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for reviewing Sohar Beach by Swiss-Belhotel following your stay with us. Rest assured that all your positive comments will be shared with the team and we hope to see you again at our hotel very soon.

Sameh Ibrahim
Poland!
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Service is not nice, not kind by the way people there is nosy. Menager Ramy (I dont sure name) is not profesional. They all the time control quest. I was feel their like prison. This counry (Oman) is very conservative but hotel don't have permission control people.
Terrible holiday. Never again !

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Monika37

Travelers are raving about these Sohar hotels

Gurgaon
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Really a grate experience, hotel at beach. while i visited the oman, i found that in Sohar there is only one good hotel, where you can enjoy and stay. other wise there is no any other good hotel. one more hotel is there - Al Wadi of Al- Falaj Group; which is also not so good hotel.

this sohar beach hotel is quite costly but affordable to stay. and you will the value for money.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sanjut
Dubai
Reviewed March 28, 2009

OK as I've learned, this hotel was a value-for-money hotel until it was taken over by the Swiss-Belhotel group. Standard rooms cost 75 Omani riyals on b&b basis without taxes. But I must give a fair evaluation with regards to this lodging.

Firstly I will list what is good. The gardens around the entrance, lobby and swimming pool are excellent. The staff were also friendly and cooperative. I was surprised when upon requesting rooms next to each other, they upgraded me to a executive suite which had an attached door to the other room (From what I understand, the occupancy is so low that they can completely afford to do it). The breakfast was also ok and the selection was limited (Believe it or not, but there were so few people in the hotel that when we went in to feed our faces at 0945 hrs, the restaurant was completely empty. Even at 1030, there were approximately 15 or so people (including kids) at the restaurant.

As for what was bad, I really don't know where to start. Firstly, they did not reduce the rate in any way during my negotiations with them (Although I can disregard this given the fact that they were nice enough to upgrade me to the executive suite). At the rate at which I booked rooms, I could have easily booked a fabulous hotel in Dubai or Muscat. This hotel is a complete ripoff in this regard. The standard room is the same size as a prison cell that you see in movies (ok not that small but it is just as wide if twice as long). The rooms are dated and moldy. The carpets look extremely dirty and have permanent stains (In other words, they need to be shampooed and in some cases, even replaced). The bathrooms are also nothing fancy (tap handles leak) although they do stock up on basic amenities (They even offered a small toothpaste tube (peppermint falvoured made in China). I hope it doesnt make my teeth fall out). The corridors of the hotel smelled of sewage for some reason too. The beach is composed of dark brown sand and is ugly. Due to high tide, most of the beach was submerged when I was there. So I could only stroll on a strip that was about 2 metres in width with my wife. There goes my romantic seaside stroll.

From what I hear, there is some important industrial site in Sohar and so many of the biggest engineering firms in the world have stakes/projects in it. For that reason, many of their engineers and other staff shuttle to Sohar and so stay at this hotel. Since this was the only major hotel in Sohar until the opening of the Crowne Plaza recently, they had a virtual monopoly and so could charge any price they wanted. The companies would pay for them anyway. The other hotels such as Wadi Hotel and Green Oasis Apartments pale in comparison to this hotel anyway. Occupancy levels are extremely low (I would estimate 25-30% at the max).

So I would recommend that you keep away from this hotel and even this city in general until they're squeezed to lower their rates. Try booking a hotel in Muscat instead.

I've never felt so sorry for spending my money on something so worthless.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family