“A superb hotel in Oman”

Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Salalah
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Salalah is quite a resort, and a first-class one at that. I stayed there for two nights, but wished I could have stayed longer.

My bedroom has two double beds, flat screen TV with multiple cable channels, and a large closet with two bathrobes and two pairs of slippers.

The bathroom had a large tub, shower, sink, commode and nice shelves for my belongings. It was spotless.

The WiFi (free) worked very well in my room after the receptionist fixed my computer so it would work there.

The breakfast in the hotel was fabulous! I really pigged out there.

Overall, I LOVED this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Cyclopath43

Reviewed October 18, 2013

As I have said before, I am a big fan of the IHG hotel chain.
I needed to stay for three nights on business in Salalah and booked into the Crowne Plaza.
My room was excellent, the bathroom well appointed and the food was great!
The hotel has swimming pools and lots of space to lie in the sun. And you can walk directly from the pool to the beach.
An amazing place to stay with fantastic facilities and superb staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank WFProductions
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have stayed at other Crowne Plazas and as other reviewers have said, it is crying out for a lick of paint as well as a better standard in restaurant dining. Is it because it is the only hotel that is close to the airport and on the beach with no other competing hotel nearby that it feels it does not need to try and bring it to the present? Or perhaps they think visitors will say, Oh! A Hotel that is stuck in the 1970s, how charming!

We chose this hotel as it rated No.1 on the list of hotels in Salalah, so I hesitate to think what the others in the top 5 are like.

Décor aside, the rooms are fine, no criticisms there as everything worked and we slept well as the beds are very comfortable. I guess the main attraction are the pools as they are family friendly and my daughter could have spent hours in there. The long stretch of beach was clean and pretty. There is even a golf practice range. Little things like kettle and tea/coffee, complimentary chocolates do make a difference. Reception is professional and friendly. Housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful.

But my major gripe? The food! If you are there for 3 nights like we were with not much to do, the highlight is breakfast, lunch and dinner! It was lucky we were close to town so we could try out the limited recommendations - Baalbeck and ipizza saved us. Our first night at The Dolphin Restaurant on the beach seemed to promise so much as the location is great but we were let down by the quality and service was slow. Everything was just okay, nothing special. The same for the main restaurant dining room. Quality not quantity please. Breakfasts were fine as expected of a hotel this calibre, but lunches were also so-so. At least they had a decent coffee machine.

As we are IHG members we were offered complimentary wifi. This was fine for the most part but did not work in some parts of the hotel.

So CP, it was satisfactory, but could try harder.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AA88Dubai_UAE
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear AA88Dubai,

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking.

We are disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We are pleased that our staff was able to off set this displeasure with great service and that you did enjoy a good nights sleep.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The hotel is in dire need of a refurbishment. The gardens are wonderful and great for families with small children. I have been coming here for years and nothing has been done to the Hotel since about 2009. The restaurant offerings are simple and the staff are probably the best to be found in Salalah. Poolside needs uplifting. The bar has been recently redecorated but lacks ambience. The pool bar needs to be made more inviting. The beach restaurant really needs some work done to it and the menu definitely need overhauling. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the AC works. With a little bit of love and attention this will be the bees of what is offered in Salalah.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
George V, Management Team at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Mr. William,

Thank you very much for your constructive review and your continuous loyalty to Crowne Plaza Salalah.

We are glad that you find the resort to be a great place to relax and rejuvenate, however we have also taken note of your comments on the refurbishment required.

We look forward to having you with us for your next rejuvenation trip and thank you once again for this review.

Kind regards,

George Verghese
george.verghese@ihg.com

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late in the evening, the room was ready with some fruit and sweets which was a warm welcome. That night we had dinner at the Restaurant in the hotel facing the swimming pool, lentil soup was amazing but I cannot tell the same thing about the pizza and baklava. At 2 am in the night I needed to look for a pharmacy for my husband because of his stomach cramps. We were unlucky with the red flagged sea so we decided to enjoy the pool which was in poor quality. The pool isn't seem to have healthy circulation system. The grass idea close by the pool is nice but how come they forgot to put umbrellas?? We wanted to eat at the Dolphin restaurant close to the sea at 330pm and they said they are only serving between 12-3, what? This is not a business trip with schedules, how come I cannot enjoy the hotel the way I want to? We haven't included the breakfast in the booking because we didn't see that option on the website! And when we tried to have breakfast and pay for it , people for chasing us with bill which was very annoying! Salalah supposed to be a touristic place and we were quite shocked when we heard that the hotel was not organizing any sightseeing.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear S Z,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here on business, and from that viewpoint is fine. Room was ok, although bathroom in keeping with rest of hotel needs an upgrade. Bug for me was electric going off every time it was out of my room, meaning iPad etc were never fully charged.

Pool looks fine, although didn't have time to use, and walked along the beach which was nice, with inviting sea. However, loads of signs up telling you not to go in the water.

As regards area, absolutely zippo to do. Nearest hotel I could find is about a 30 min cab ride away, The Hilton. Area though is very safe. I went out running in both directions for 30-40 mins and felt totally relaxed.

As regards food, yep the place is dated,with a bizarre night club, but felt the two eating options were good and upto CP standard.

Best thing about the hotel are the staff. Very friendly, well trained, with nothing too much trouble. All in all, fine for me as it was work, but wouldn't do a holiday here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Everytime im tired due to work I want massage. I searching for a place where I can do it and for a bar..I found these hotel the place of my relaxing massage...thank you for the lady yuni who did massage for me really i enjoyed it and that time I came from my vacation which Im very tired due to one day traveling in airplane... she is good but I suggest that she need to do more hard force for massage. She is so friendly but dont talk to much. I miss your massage girl. I hope that I will come back again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends