“Over all it is a good hotel for short vacation ,”

Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Salalah
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The rooms are good but for a five stars hotel need to be renovated. Paid 155$ for the room without taxes when we reached the hotel we found out it is without breakfast and another 20 $ per person for. Breakfast. So per night with taxes 220 $ it is a bit expensive if we consider location and rooms

• Stayed: June 2013
George V, Management Team at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Sarah,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback on the recent stay with us at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah. It is our constant endeavor to provide the best of services and hospitality to our valued guests.

We respect your view pertaining to the prices of room and would like to share that our prices are competitive and we guarantee the best available rate on our website through out. As a hotel, we just do not provide a product alone but also an experience that is expected from Crowne Plaza Hotels.

All of us at Crowne Plaza sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Salalah.

Kind regards,

George Verghese
george.verghese@ihg.com

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here recently on a business trip on the recommendation of a local Omanese friend.

Check in was smooth with very courteous and polite front office staff. The hotel was empty in off season.

My room was spacious and sea facing on an upper floor.

Everything in the room was tired. When I pressed the main light switch, it went straight into the wall.

The bathroom looked like it had never been renovated from the time of construction, with old tired fittings and a very fatigued tub.

The bed was good with nice pillows, and unusually a complimentary sleep spray and lotion on the bed which was quite nice.

The TV has a limited choice of English and Indian language programmes [unusually for the Mid East] and none from our group could get the programme guide to work.

The iron in the cupboard was with a 2 pin plug but the only socket I could find for the iron was a 3 pin. I called housekeeping for an adaptor which was promptly given. I asked why the mismatch for which they apologised and showed me a 2 pin socket underneath the table behind the fridge : which meant I had to hunt to find it and then get on my knees to plug in and then do the ironing on the floor! I showed housekeeping the broken main switch. He just shrugged apologetically.

We had dinner at the beachside, choosing semi a la carte. The buffet bit was mostly salads which was a selection of Arabic mezze - very tired. I have not in my life had runny, watery Humous that could be drunk from a glass! I selected a grilled fish from the main course. This was barely edible and looked as though it was cooked much earlier not fresh. The staff however were courteous and polite. I can not blame the waiters for the quality of the food. The house red was pricey for a less than average wine.

Our flight was late evening the next day and we requested a late check out but were told that the maximum they could allow us was 1pm. This when the hotel was completely empty and our group of three were probably the only guests in the hotel.

The lobby furniture was also tired with the diwan arm constantly falling off. The socket behind the diwan which I tried using for my laptop was hanging out with exposed wires.

It is obvious that the hotel could not be bothered during off season. They may perhaps renovate in time for the forthcoming khareef season after Ramadan.

All the staff were courteous and polite which was the only saving grace in an otherwise avoidable hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gita-TA
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Snonymous

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I use this hotel every now and then its well situated and reasonable, resteraunt and bar area in desperate need of a refurb its old and dated looks spoil the place, staff are excellent throughout, bedrooms are ok and well serviced

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
George V, Management Team at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on Trip advisor and choosing Crowne Plaza Resosrt Salalah regularly for your stay while in Salalah.

We are delighted to hear our colleagues and the seamless service provided by them along with the facilities including the ambiance and the proximity continues to attract you to our resort.

At Crowne Plaza we continuously strive to improve our services based on our guest comments such as yours and allow me to assure you that that the Management at the hotel is working on few projects of refurbishment which you can experience yourself on your next stay.

I thank you once again for your review and look forward to meet you during your next visit to Salalah.

Regards,

George Verghese
george.verghese@ihg.com

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I gave this hotel a 5 star review, not because it is the nicest hotel that I have stayed in, but because I believe this is the best place to stay in Salalah.

5 star ratings for:

1 - SERVICE: The service at this hotel is exceptional. Before our stay, we contacted the hotel customer service as we were having trouble finding reliable tour operators and drivers. The hotel took care of booking a car and a guide for us during our stay. The tour was exactly what we had in mind and the prices quoted through the hotel were actually cheaper than the prices I was quoted by Best Shore trips for similar tours. During our stay, the staff was also incredibly nice, from the check-in personnel ensuring we had everything we needed, the wait staff at the restaurants and accommodating us with a late check-out, we were highly satisfied with the service we received.
Note that you can also request a shuttle service to and from the airport for free. We used this service and it was reliable.

LOCATION: This hotel has very large grounds so you can definitely find some piece and quiet to relax. There are also 2 large pools, a slide and water fountain park for kids, a playground for kids and a driving range / golf. The hotel is right on the beach, so you have easy access to the water and chairs are also available directly on the beach. I believe this is the best location for a hotel in Salalah.
The Hilton is across the street from a cement factory and very close to the port. The Marriott is 80km away from Salalah, so it may be harder to access restaurants or visit other attractions.

ROOMS: The rooms was spacious, but maybe a bit dated. However, it was clean.

Items that may not warrant a 5 star:

RESTAURANTS: We were disappointed overall with the quality of the food at the various restaurants. Although the setting of the restaurants is nice, they are not 5 star quality in terms of food. If you wish to eat at the hotel, stick to the basics (pizzas, sandwiches, fish & chips). The more "fancy" items like the hamoor (the fish had an oily texture) or nicoise salad (made with iceberg lettuce), didn't quite measure up to our expectations and we felt like the price / quality relationship wasn't worth it. If you have a car, you may wish to venture out for your meals.

Room Tip: Request a sea view. Rooms on the first floor have a patio door that give you direct access to the g...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My business colleagues and I stayed here for two nights during a brief visit to Salalah. What's not to like about staying in a resort right on the beach? The property has seen better days but is still impressive, with lots of marble and crystal and a huge atrium, all in a vaguely pharonic style, and the setting, with vast lawns, palm groves, swimming pools, a small golf course and a beautiful clean beach, is stunning. While we all found our rooms to be adequate, there were problems with the air conditioning in all of them, even though they were in different parts of the hotel, and we all slept badly because of the heat and humidity. My room was fairly clean but could have been cleaner, and it would have been nice to have slippers as well as a bathrobe provided and a towel rack that wasn't so high up near the ceiling that I had difficulty reaching it. There was a collection of several different brands of shampoo, soap, conditioner etc, only one of them of the standard I associate with a "5" star hotel. Service was pleasant, reasonably efficient and reasonably prompt, and the concierge who looked after our bags was particularly obliging. The breakfast buffet was reasonably good but not particularly special, although the woman in charge of the "egg station" did a really excellent job and provided attentive service. However, we were fortunate to be there for the seafood BBQ night and had a memorable experience, with absolutely fresh shellfish (including lobster) and well prepared fish, salads and deserts, at a table right on the beach. That part couldn't have been better and together with the chance to wake early and walk along a beautiful, deserted beach makes the shortcomings of the rest of the experience fade into the distance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We came to Salalah on business, and our company put us up in the Crowne Plaza because it's a 5 star (apparently). And we've stayed in other Crowne Plaza hotels in the US and been very pleased with them. To us, this particular Crowne Plaza was more like a 4 star hotel. It was OK - but certainly not the luxury or service or experience we expect from a true 5 star. The food was 4 star. The bedding was 4 star. The look of the room was 4 star. The service was 4 star. All OK....nothing outstanding to draw us back. We would have preferred that it be accurately represented (ie. as a 4 star). We had to change rooms twice before we had a room that was quiet enough for us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Atlantis88,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were upgraded on Checkin to a magnificent Junior Suite, beautifully decorated in Omani style, spacious, a very comfortable bed and a balcony to enjoy the view. Every member of staff we met went above and beyond to make sure our stay was outstanding. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel that provided such excellent service. We had an evening flight back to Muscat and a late checkout was arranged for us. The location on the beach is stunning, a real tropical Island atmosphere. What a shame we could only stay 2 nights...we would have loved to have stayed much longer.

The location is vastly superior to that of the Hilton which is quite close to the local cement manufacturing plant. The Crowne Plaza is a much better choice.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Junior Suite for a beautifully decorated room with a fantastic view. The rooms on level...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple